Formal attire for teenage boys

Hi All,

We'll be on the Mariner of the Seas in a few weeks for a 7 day cruise. We have two boys ages 13 and 15. For formal nights - what is typical attire for kids this age? Thanks!

Our boys were that age. I bought suit separates for two of my boys at Penney's or Sears - easier to fit the teen, I think than a regular suit. That didn't work for my 6'6" son - we bought him a suit.

Actually, we had bought the suit separates for our oldest when he was almost a freshman in high school, and now that "suit" fits our youngest. Then, our oldest needed a suit for something (debate, homecoming?) and we did the separate thing again. He still wears this suit. So, before our cruise, we "only" had to get one suit.

One thing that I have found about the boys having suits: once they have them, they can wear them on lots of different occasions. Weddings, bar mitzvahs, Easter Sunday (they don't wear suits every Sunday, but did on Easter), National Honor Society Induction, Football banquet, Homecoming, Debate Team events ....all occasions where it's not NECESSARY to have a suit, but completely appropropriate and desireable to wear one if you have one.

My guys really liked spiffing up for formal nights in their suits, and I LOVED walking into the dining room with my 4 handsome men. On our last cruise I bought new shirt/tie combinations for the guys.

I put the oldest one in a suit he had to have (that was last fall. He's out of it now). We got it at Marshall's and it was very reasonable. The younger one (6) went in a nice shirt and a tie with dress pants. I had vests for them as well that I found at a garage sale to mix it up, but they were never worn.

I bought a new "tux" (which was really just a suit with a fancy shirt ;) ) from a store off of ebay for my 12 1/2yo DS. I took measurements and got a perfect fit! Had a small problem with the tie... sent it back and it was replaced Plus the cost of shipping. I was very satisfied, and the price was extremely reasonable. Of course it wasn't the best made piece of clothing, but I knew My DS would only get a handful of uses out of it before he outgrew it. He's worn it 3 times so far, and for the $55 I spent (pants, shirt, vest, tie and jacket! ), it was worth the $$$ to see him and his father together and dressed so "spiffy"... even if I couldn't stop him from calling it a "penguin suit!"

He doesn't have anyone to hand down his better clothes down to... so for him this was perfect. If he had younger brothers, I may have invested more in the suit for future use...

A~

I took my 11 yo twins on Mariner. I bought 2 tuxedos off of Ebay $38 + shipping. ($38 each tuxedo). It made for great photos and I had formal nights covered. My DH rented a tux on board and was thrilled with it. We will be considering a similar path next cruise. No sense in buying a real tux for growing boys.

Have a great cruise.

Karen

My 14 yo son must be in a wierd growth state.....couldn't find a suit to fit him, so we settled for a jacket instead.

We're not sweating the formal nights over our son, but it never ceases to amaze me that some people do....!!

People need to let go and live! Formal nights are not a rule, they are OPTIONAL the last time I checked!

I should have considered Ebay, but unfortunately we've run out of time!

For the OP: Don't worry. Kids at that age can get away with a nice shirt, pants and tie.

Turn the baseball caps the right way round!:D
:D:D:D:D That is so right. I just got our 16 year old son to put on a dress shirt and tie and dress pants. Even got him dress shoes. Now all I have to do is get him to take off the ball cap. I have a week to do it in. June 11th Freedom of the Seas.

My 14 yo son must be in a wierd growth state.....couldn't find a suit to fit him, so we settled for a jacket instead.

We're not sweating the formal nights over our son, but it never ceases to amaze me that some people do....!!

People need to let go and live! Formal nights are not a rule, they are OPTIONAL the last time I checked!

For the OP: Don't worry. Kids at that age can get away with a nice shirt, pants and tie.

Ouch, such venom! I was just saying what we did. It made nice pictures and was a economical alternative. We weren't uptight about any of it. Sorry you seem so put out by our choice. We had a great time and will continue to have one.Sounds like someone needs a vacation, but PLEASE not on my ship!Geesh!

Karen

I'll be cruising in a couple of weeks with two boys who are 12 & 16, and I went through the same things. I got my 12 year old a beautiful black suit at Kohl's for $60. Went to K & G for the 16 yr old and now he has a really nice dark blue suit - suit & alterations $130, so that's not bad for a really nice suit. I'm not taking the "formal" formal for myself, only a couple of cocktail dresses - but cocktail dresses, not just church dresses. We're sooooo ready!! :p :p Happy dance, happy dance.

If you really want to get Tuxes, find a Building 19 or something along those lines. You can buy a tux shirt for $10 or so vest and tie for another $10, then go to Walmart and buy the George black suit pants for $13 or so. It sounds tacky, but it will look really good, I'm a wedding DJ and that's my attire in a nutshell and it looks really good.

We got a real nice dark suite for our 5yo at Walmart when all the Easter stuff was out. Only paid about $35 for it. Looks so good on him. Of course that was for younger kids but I think the sizes went up to 14 or 16?? not big enough for a 15yo i'm sure tho.

I agree with you, we're going on our first cruise this Sunday, FOS 6/11 sailing and I have stressed over the clothes because people have made such a big issue out of it. I'm going to quit worrying about what I'm taking and what my husband and son are wearing and enjoy my cruise.

Teenage sons ages 16 and 18 both wear suits with a white shirt and tie.

Had to purchase a new suit for the ever growing 16 year old since he outgrew the Sudent Size 20 suits at Pennys. Went to Men's Wearhouse and had them leave plenty of extra for length and in the seams so the suit can be let out or down when needed. This way it can be altered to fit as he grows. Cost a bit more but hope to make it up in the long run.

Don't forget about consignment shops. They worked well for us for navy blazers when DS was younger (and not a 6'3" 16 y.o.) You can also consign the clothes back to the store once they're outgrown.

My son now has a $150 tuxedo from Syms which he wore on our Christmas/New Years cruise and to the Jr prom. We bought big and had them leave lots of hem to let down. Friends commented that he was the only one who looked comfortable in his prom tuxedo. We don't bother with the "real" shoes. Black tasseled loafers from Kohls or payless or... looked just fine and were a huge step up from his usual running shoes.

Jane

We've gotten black suit separates at Penny's, tie, sometimes he wears an actual tux shirt with it. Since he was 5, now he is 13--has always dressed like that on formal nights. He wears dockers and colared shirt on other nights.

That's exactly how our teens -and their father- dress: suits on formal night, dockers and collared shirts on the other nights. If there is a "smart casual" night they wear a dress shirt (open collar) and suit pants, without a tie. They may or may not wear the jacket.

My favorite tip - send all the cotton stuff (dockers, dress shirts) to be pressed as soon as you get on the ship. For the cost of a couple of frou frou drinks, everyone looks really spiffy, and you're not going crazy trying to pack stuff so it doesn't wrinkle, or trying to iron or steam clothes in the room.

Archived