Advice please: Sun vs. Star for teens (Alaska)

Angelcreek

It's official...we are hooked! After having taken the Sun to Alaska last month, we decided to book again and take the kids this time for either the Sun on 9/16 or the Star on 9/17. We did enjoy the Sun immensely, but wondered if the Star would be better oriented for our teens (ages 13 &16). Is Glacier Bay worth it compared to Sawyer Glacier? Also, are there alot of great viewing spots on the decks on the Star? We are booking an inside this time so we can afford to go again so soon:D . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....this will be a first for our kids and want it to be most enjoyable for them.

It's official...we are hooked! After having taken the Sun to Alaska last month, we decided to book again and take the kids this time for either the Sun on 9/16 or the Star on 9/17. We did enjoy the Sun immensely, but wondered if the Star would be better oriented for our teens (ages 13 &16). Is Glacier Bay worth it compared to Sawyer Glacier? Also, are there alot of great viewing spots on the decks on the Star? We are booking an inside this time so we can afford to go again so soon:D . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....this will be a first for our kids and want it to be most enjoyable for them.

We were booked for the Star (we like the itinary better) but changed to the Sun. The inside cabins on the Star (for 4 people) have 2 lower beds, a trundle bed that pulls out & fills the space between the lowers, and an upper bed. Basically it's wall to wall bed with one upper. You might want to consider that.

Here's a link to a photo:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550852006/2709057390042841971mCHBfD

-Monte

Both ships have a wonderful teen program. If you intend to cruise again to Alaska in the future, do Glacier Bay this time and Sawyer Glacier the next time, or vice a versa. While Glacier Bay is great, the Star doesn't do the full Inside Passage, whereas the Sun does the full Inside Passage.

In my opinion the Inside Passage is geat too. You won't see many eagles and bears sailing in the Pacific west of Vancouver Island.

Look at the inside cabin sizes for both ships. We booked the Sun 2 years ago to Alaska because of the superior inside cabin. I think the square feet was around 190. I don't think the Star had any inside rooms that large -- and if you have 4 of you in one room, the extra space would sure come in handy.

We ended up with an upgrade to a balcony cabin, so we didn't actually stay in that superior inside (cat II), but we did look inside one and it looked like it would have accomodated our family of 4 easily.

Our kids' first cruise was that trip to Alaska. Since then, they've been on one more with us, and are feeling very left out that they're not joining us in November. However, at the moment, college attendance is a little more important than a cruise!

Thank you all for your responses! Yikes! I didn't realize how small that inside room would be:eek: . Thanks for the pics. Not sure I want to be that crowded. Wanted to try the Star this time for the change in itinerary and thought the kids would enjoy the pools more (slides, etc.) (No, they wouldn't care about the weather:D ) Thought about going ahead and getting a balcony but the Star is sold out for those rooms. The Sun has balconies available, but we just did that sail may 20th. So many things to consider.......I guess I'll have to rethink this a little more. Thanks again!

A thought, which I am sure you already are considering, 2 inside cabins. I know it gets pretty pricey, but the kids will love having their own cabin and you will not be as packed in. I know lots of families do the 4 in one cabin, but it's a squeeze. I agree, I would try a different ship and itinerary just for variety. NMNita

Yes, that is something we have considered but are concerned about the whole card key situation with having to book with 1 adult in each room and then having to switch all that around after boarding (2 kids in 1 room, us in another, but having all the keys and photos match up). Is that as tough as I'm making it out to be? I know that other families do it and it would be a more comfortable option for all of us but would NCL be accomodating to this? Sorry, but I'm still new to all this cruising stuff. Thanks!:)

Been there and done that and we'd do it again! Sure the room is small but we can either afford 2 rooms OR 2 different cruises and we always choose to go on more cruises! We really aren't in our rooms much and the kids know going in it will be tight.

On the Dream I had to sleep with DD as they space for guest 3 and 4 was a fold out double bed and the kids are a boy and girl -- both teens. The bed was low, uncomfortable and I missed snuggling with my DH BUT we didn't let it spoil our cruise!

I always remind my kids that they are in control of how they react to situations and they will be as happy as THEY choose to be. With a positive attitude we had an amazing Alaskan trip -- all 11 days and the four of us woudl repeat that cruise (if it was offerered again) in a heartbeat!

Now we are on the Star for 11 nights and we will have to use either the pull down or pullman bed for our son -- he is over 6 foot so which ever is more comfortable for him. At 16 he will be making friends and enjoying activities more than sittig in the room. We will not raise the pullman if he sleeps on that as it is easier to store that way.

You know you kids best and you can prepare them for the cruise ahead of time in a positive manner -- camping is no less crowded -- and then the four of you can just have fun!!!!

Julia

If they do complain, you can tell them they could have another room OR go on the shore trips -- works every time LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Julia,

Some great points and a great attitude!!:D We went ahead and booked the Star for the 17th with 1 inside cabin and explained to the kids that it would be tight.........they didn't care, they were so excited just to be going! I agree with you....since they are teens they probably won't be in the cabin much anyways.....too much to do!:D It will be so much more affordable this way and then we can do more shore excursions, etc. I would rather cruise more times a year and do it this way since we can't afford a suite everytime we go (which would only be about once every 2 years at the most then):) 2 or more a year sounds better!!!!!:D :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

We recently cruised on the Star with 2 teenagers in an inside cabin and everyone had a great time. We did not spend a lot of time in the cabin, but did not feel horribly cramped when we were there. The most crowded feeling was when we were packing up the night before disembarkation. The solution was for one or two people to pack at a time, while the others enjoyed their last night on ship.

While it is true that when the third bed is pulled out in the middle the room seems very small, we still managed fine. We emptied suitcases when we first boarded and put everything in drawers, on shelves and on hangers so we could put the suitcases under the bed without the trundle. Everyone kept things picked up pretty well so it didn't get cluttered. I also asked our room stewards to take out the "for fee" items in the refrigerator and on the shelf next to it in order to give us that extra bit of space. I really meant to take a shoe holder to put over the door for some of our smaller items, but forgot and we managed anyway.

Have a wonderful cruise!

quest2best,

Thanks for the info as well. A couple of questions, though. You were able to put all your clothes, shoes, jackets, etc away for everyone? If so, thats alot more storage space than I had imagined which will help the clutter factor. Also, was there a DVD player in the room? About the pullman bed...did it have to be pulled out in the middle or could the 2 regular beds be put together and then the pullman made out on the side?

Thanks for your help!

Archived