Dining with the Captain

Gee, guess this is one of those things not likely to get crossed off my "wish" list. I'm not Diamond, don't sail in a Suite and am rather on the quiet side. Oh well, I can always dream...........

Most Captain's don't care what cabin you are in as long as you are nice and polite.Dressing nice is also a good start and not being drunk when you talk to them.The Captain doesn't even know if you are Diamond or in the RS or and inside cabin.We stay on indide cabins when we cruise or ocean view.

Tj

..."The instructions for the dinner are very exact, so it can perhaps be considered intimidating, however both invitations were a nice surprise to an already wonderful trip, which we very much enjoyed.

meripour,

You mentioned that there are exact instructions when dining with the captain. What types of instructions? Gee, it sounds pretty intimidating to dine at the captain's table (but I'm sure it's a wonderful experience!).

Thanks!

The instructions are to meet at the dinning room 15 minutes before dinner and not to touch anything on the table ubtil the Captain arrives and the picture is taken. So that the table is perfect for the picture. Then everyone can relax and talk about the Captain yourselves .Just don't ask who is driving the ship while he is eating with you cruise (control is). If he is having fun the dinner runs later and Jacket and tie are allowed but tux's are nicer to get your picture taken with the Captain.

Tj

Paul, ok "relatively" quiet!

TJ, thanks, so what kind of books is the Captain interested in? And I promise, I ALWAYS wear shoes in the dinning room. My friends Paul, Parrothead & Belligo Breeze have been working really hard to get me Captain Table ready.:D

TJ, thanks, so what kind of books is the Captain interested in? And I promise, I ALWAYS wear shoes in the dinning room. My friends Paul, Parrothead & Belligo Breeze have been working really hard to get me Captain Table ready.:D

Now I have a mental image of the captains table populated by a group of nekkid people, except for really nice shoes.

Now I have a mental image of the captains table populated by a group of nekkid people, except for really nice shoes.

Well, you have to admit we'd certainly have everyone's attention in the dinning room!:D

Well, you have to admit we'd certainly have everyone's attention in the dinning room!:D

You know there is a group that leases ships to do nude cruises. It would solve the formal night issue.

Basically Nliedel, all you said is true. No nose picking allowed either.

Jwick - When you receive the invitation you are told where to meet prior to the dinner and what time. You must be prompt and dressed in a manner suitable for the Captains table. Usually these dinners are on the formal night so that is easy to do. You will meet the equivelent of his social director. Once everyone is together she will instruct you that you will all walk in together at a set time and that once you get to the table you will find your place card where you should remain standing behind your chair until the Captain arrives. You should not touch anything on the table as photos will be taken and it is set for such. Once the captain comes, you will be placed for the photo with the Captain, some standing, some will be seated. After this everyone will be asked to sit - at their assigned place. Everything we did was at the Captain's cue, not at our initiative. It sounds intimidating, but he does this all the time and will take the lead like any great male dancer make you look great. At the end of the dinner you will be given that photo as a keepsake. On one cruise we actually were given a printed receipe of a dish we were served that was the captain's own.

Northerner - I would suggest you write a personal note to the Captain for delivery by the Chief Purser or Head Waiter for delivery to the Captain. Keep it short & sweet, but express to him what you would like for the girls and what an honor it would be for them (to meet someone as great as he). If you have the opportunity to meet him in person reinterate again what you want and how beneficial it would be for the girls. If you get to dine with him, let him know how much you would love to see the bridge. We ended up with a personal tour of the bridge and a private tour of the kitchen, which is an incredible operation. Be interested in what he is interested in - his girl, the ship. And whatever you do, dont call it a boat - it is a ship. (Gee, sounds like you might end up with a marriage proposal.)

Just a footnote to keep in the back of your mind, like any other invitation, we took the time to send a personal thank-you note to the Captain and also the Hotel Director for their kind hospitality & dinner that evening just to personally let them know how much we enjoyed the evening. In return, they sent wine the next evening for the acknowledgement. What goes around comes around as they say. Taking the time for that personal note is old fashioned, but is still a worthwhile effort and good habit. I always pack note cards and envelopes and some extra business cards just for that purpose.

I do not understand why everyone wants/needs to eat with/be seen with the Captain of the vessel.

Well no one needs to eat with the Captain. You don't *need* to eat with anyone. You don't need to cruise either. Long as you're clothed, breathing and fed it's all good. Some people just like that little bit of extra fun. It's not everyone's cup of tea and some people do turn it down. In the anals of maritime whose-y-whats-its dining with the Captain of the ship has been seen as an honor. I'd like to have tea with the queen too (any queen. Not fussy), but that probably won't happen. Oh yes, and win the lottery. I don't *need* to, but I won't turn it down. :D

In the anals of maritime whose-y-whats-its dining with the Captain of the ship has been seen as an honor. I don't *need* to, but I won't turn it down.

I'm an open-minded person, but I'm pretty sure that I'd pass on any whose-y-whats-it dining if it was taking place in the anals of maritime.:eek: Even if the Captain was there having lobster with me, I'd still prefer to avoid that part of the ship. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying that's it not for me. That's the nice thing about cruising, everyone can fulfill their dreams :D

I'm an open-minded person, but I'm pretty sure that I'd pass on any whose-y-whats-it dining if it was taking place in the anals of maritime.:eek: Even if the Captain was there having lobster with me, I'd still prefer to avoid that part of the ship. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying that's it not for me. That's the nice thing about cruising, everyone can fulfill their dreams :D

You know I never, not for a single second, got that you were judging anyone by your post. Just that you didn't see the value in it and wanted to know what everyone else saw. By the way, that's pronounced an-all's not the other thing. LOL!!!!

You just pass that lil ole invite this way and I'll slip you my lobster. I don't get the glories of cruise ship lobters at all.

Maybe since we'll be on the Sovereign a month before you,I can bring a bribe of sorts from you............some homemade chocolate chip cookies or a new kitty ;) for his cabin??

Maybe since we'll be on the Sovereign a month before you,I can bring a bribe of sorts from you............some homemade chocolate chip cookies or a new kitty ;) for his cabin??

Ph, EXCELLENT IDEA, I'd be lost without a friend like you!!! I'll start practicing my cookie baking skills right now! Hmmmm, a red bow or a yellow bow for the kittens neck............and what luck, we are sailing Halloween and all I have left are Black Kittens, the Captain is going to be sooo Impressed!

You just pass that lil ole invite this way and I'll slip you my lobster. I don't get the glories of cruise ship lobters at all.

Me neither. I used to live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Lobster were so plentiful in season that it was like $3.99/lb and chicken was $4.99/lb. We would have huge parties where they would bring in 50-100 lobsters and boil them in 55 gallon drums. There would be 3-4 for each person. It became too much after a while.

True story: The local fisherman said that in the 1950's nobody in the Maritimes would eat Lobster. As bottom-feeders, Lobster were considered disgusting. So poor fishermen would sell their good fish from their catch and then feed their kids with the lobster that got stuck in their nets. The kids were so embarrased by "lobster sandwiches" for lunch that they would open the sandwich and shake out the lobster meat rather than have kids see them eating lobster salad for lunch.

It was the French that made eating lobster a delicacy and improved life for fishermen in Maine and Nova Scotia.

KC - We'll be on the Sovereign Sep 11, anything you want to give us to give to the Captain?

Well, you could always just mention what a wonderful person I am & how I light up a room when I walk in......;)

"All of you are funny I trained my Captain to bring me breakfast in bed every morning."

Tj, you are my hero!! I had my husband trained to have a cup of coffee waiting for me when I got home at night. I just never could get him interested in cooking though, course I guess your Captain doesn't cook either.

Boatbuilder - It was the same way in New England in Colonial times. Lobster was only for the poor people.

KC - Between PH & us, the Captain will be begging to be allowed to sit at your table.

KC - We'll be on the Sovereign Sep 11, anything you want to give us to give to the Captain?

Well, you could always just mention what a wonderful person I am & how I light up a room when I walk in......;)

"All of you are funny I trained my Captain to bring me breakfast in bed every morning."

Tj, you are my hero!! I had my husband trained to have a cup of coffee waiting for me when I got home at night. I just never could get him interested in cooking though, course I guess your Captain doesn't cook either.

KC,

My husband does cook but not much on the ship and he eats fish for every meal. So he always has somthing I like for breakfast sinve we are opposites I am up at night and he is asleep as early as he can get to bed on the ship or home.

When on the ship he is on duty 24/7 so as soon as his head hits the pillow he is out.But let the phone ring and he is right up at night.

Tj

Thanks Meripour and Tj, you are both kind to respond and give such good advice. We as a troop send thank you to any and all people who teach us and brighten our lives. Signed by everyone of course. :) The question of the day is what do we want from The captain? I suppose we could talk about their new college at sea program. A tour of the galley would be great. The highlight would definately be the bridge. But I suppose more then anything, these girls would love to just talk and ask questions of a man who has seen the better part of the world. Thank for such great advice, you both got my mind thinking.

Honestly I had not considered a private chat with the captain, but as we have always tried to do with our girls, the other leaders and I think this is a great learning opp that may have been overlooked if I had not read this post. Thanks to the poster for such a cool idea.

I have never seen anyone eat with the captain. The captain of my last cruise on Carnival's Holiday was very rude and unpersonable. I even tried to start a conversation in Italian with the thought he did not feel comfortable in English, he did not even respond but looked at me like I was crazy. And it was formal night! The captain on the costa cruise I took was non-exsistant. We got a glimps of him as we boarded the ship, but not even a show on formal night. I have a feeling I am headed for a better level of cruising.

You all sound like you know about the captain on the sovereign. That is the cruise we are going on. We leave Sunday at noon and set sail monday june 12th. Would the captain of the Sovereign like Girl Scout Cookies? Do you think he is openminded enough to greet a group of cadette girl scouts? We picked the ship because of the show they did for its dry dock, and watched most of the episodes and such. We are on deck 8 with obstructed ocean views. Any tips?

Archived