Best Table in Dining Room on O'Dam??

I'm just wondering what would be the best table to have in the Dining Room on the O'dam for scenic viewing. What would be the worst table? How do we go about securing assignment to a decent table? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion and experience. Thanks for the help!

There is no "best" table, but there are a variety of tables along the sides and aft windows on both levels of the dining room. Your TA should have or can get faxed to her from HAL a layout of the dining rooms with the numbers of all the tables. Then you can discuss with her or him which of these tables meet your table size requirements and she can request of HAL to have your table# choice relayed to the Maitre d' who makes the table assignments. This is where it pays to have a good TA.

There is no guarantee that you will absolutely get this table, but they do try to satisfy requests.

Just be aware there are very few tables that have a great scenic view, which was a disappointment for me on the Vista class ships. We did have a table for 4 by a window, but unlike other ships, this ship does not center its tables at the window. In other words people on one side of your table will be against the wall and the other side the window.

I think the aft windows may be the best bet for views. I have a copy of the dining room plan. What size table did you need? Maybe I can reccomend something for you.

My personal favorites are the tables in lower dining room against the center aft windows (135, 136) I just love the wake view and don't mind the occassional rough ride in heavy seas - although Rev Greg will remind me that if the AC isn't cranked up for formal nights, it can get quite warm beneath that overhang in your tux jacket (as has been my experience on numerous cruises)

Just be aware there are very few tables that have a great scenic view, which was a disappointment for me on the Vista class ships. We did have a table for 4 by a window, but unlike other ships, this ship does not center its tables at the window. In other words people on one side of your table will be against the wall and the other side the window.

I think the aft windows may be the best bet for views. I have a copy of the dining room plan. What size table did you need? Maybe I can reccomend something for you.

Your help would be most appreciated. We don't have a TA per se. We booked this cruise through Inspiration Cruises, as part of a group. But I'm thinking that I at least want to give them some sort of request for a table assignment. It will be the late seating, as that is what the whole group has. It is just my husband and I and we are entirely flexible as far as table size, I'd just like to be able to watch the ocean go by as we eat, if at all possible. Thanks so much for your help! Deb

My personal favorites are the tables in lower dining room against the center aft windows (135, 136) I just love the wake view and don't mind the occassional rough ride in heavy seas - although Rev Greg will remind me that if the AC isn't cranked up for formal nights, it can get quite warm beneath that overhang in your tux jacket (as has been my experience on numerous cruises)

Brian those are my two favorite tables as well:)

Here's a view from table 135

478583231foYfMK_ph.jpg.0b43ccfdee4ae32a28333cf04238eb30.jpg

wow I guess we won the lottery last year because we were at table 136 on our alaskan cruise last aug and agree - when we saw our table we were thrilled!!! It was only made even more special by the head waiter for that section - I can't believe I am drawing a blank on his name now - but he came by our table every night and talked with my wife and I and always had at least 2 or 3 magic tricks that he did for our 2 DD's -

We had Table #26 during our recent Alaska cruise which is located on the upper level of the Vista Dining Room by the aft windows. We had a great view of the ocean and the ship's wake. An excellent waiter and wine steward were assigned to this tabel during our late assignment. It is a table for six.

Richard

What a great picture Lisa!

Thanks for sharing it here - It's a reminder for me of the many reasons I've always enjoyed HAL...

:)

(We're really gonna have to coordinate a cruise together one of these days...)

;)

What a great picture Lisa!

Thanks for sharing it here - It's a reminder for me of the many reasons I've always enjoyed HAL...

:)

(We're really gonna have to coordinate a cruise together one of these days...)

;)

Brian, you should join us for our Oosterdam cruise next March 17th for our Anniversery cruise. The prices just went down today per my TA and they are pretty good Group pricing. Mr. Deering sayd he will definitely be there;)

Other wise another good deal out there right now is the Repositioning cruise on the Veendam from Vancouver to LA September 24th. We have a Guarntee S Suite and the price just dropped. For 4 days in a S Suite it is $944.94 per person. Which is pretty good. I found the price drop, called my TA and we are now good to go.:) Gee.... now if my Zaandam cruise for November that all the S Suites and Balconys have been sold out for months would drop in price.

Brian, we would love to have you join us on any of our upcoming cruises. I am sure we would have a blast:D

GORGEOUS!! That's exactly what we're looking for. Thanks everyone for the help. I will be calling them tomorrow and requesting table 135 or 136 or 26. BTW, what size tables are 135 and 136? Thanks again! Deb

GORGEOUS!! That's exactly what we're looking for. Thanks everyone for the help. I will be calling them tomorrow and requesting table 135 or 136 or 26. BTW, what size tables are 135 and 136? Thanks again! Deb

Deb,

Here is a photo of us at Table #26 last week on the Oosterdam. It was made on the second formal evening which is the Fairwell Baked Alaska Dinner. That is the reason for all of the white covers on the chairs.

Richard

1880250303_IMG_0300copy.jpg.5fd98562fa0901713868274c25289fef.jpg

Deb, all the tables on the lower level against the aft window are table for 6. Not sure about the Upper Level where table 26 is, but it also looks to be a table for 6.

Who knew we could ask for a particular table? Certainly not us newer cruisers!?!!

So........who do we ask to book these wonderful tables? I booked cruise thru ***** and have a "TA" assigned to me. Do I email him to request a table, do I call HAL in advance to request a table, or do I wait until on board and ask the Maitre d?

Thanks,

Sun Catcher - Marty

Deb,

Here is a photo of us at Table #26 last week on the Oosterdam. It was made on the second formal evening which is the Fairwell Baked Alaska Dinner. That is the reason for all of the white covers on the chairs.

Richard

You guys all look so wonderful!! What a great picture! We are looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends, so a table for 6 would be great. Oooooo..........I can't wait!! Thanks again! Deb

We will be on the Oosterdam for an Alaska cruise, lower dining at a wheelchair accessible table for 6. That's the extent of my knowledge. Anyone know if table 135 or 136 are wheelchair accessible? If so, I'll request one. TIA

- Richard

We will be on the Oosterdam for an Alaska cruise, lower dining at a wheelchair accessible table for 6. That's the extent of my knowledge. Anyone know if table 135 or 136 are wheelchair accessible? If so, I'll request one. TIA

- Richard

I think most of the tables are accessible for wheelchairs but it is extremely crowded at the aft and you have to go all the way thru the Dining Room to get back to the aft.

it is extremely crowded at the aft and you have to go all the way thru the Dining Room to get back to the aft.

Crowded and most often very warm and for me even a little claustrophobic. We much prefer the center or forward area, but that's us.

And yes, we have sat at the aft windows and found the disadavantages of being aft outweighed the advantages. Again- that's just how we felt, but a lot of people prefer being further forward and request it, so it's not that they just couldn't get the aft. That's why I too don't think there is a 'best' table; everyone has their own 'best' table. ;)

That's very helpful about crowded & needing to traverse the whole dining room for the aft tables! I'll think about requesting a table to the side somewhere, so when my wife tilts her chair back & it takes up a lot of space, fewer people will be inconvenienced.

Thanks for the tips!

- Richard

Archived