Noordam rescues 22 in Aegean Sea

bepsf

Hello to all,

DH and I just disembarked this morning after the 5/31 Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam. Great cruise, beautiful ship,and far more excitement than we would have liked! Many passengers heard the people in the water calling for help (very early am last Tuesday) and everyone on board seemed aware by breakfast time. Unfortunately, one child drowned before the rescue. We were a couple hours late getting into Kusadasi, but no one complained (great support for the captain; we had heard that several other ships passed the people by.) However, we didn't leave Turkey until Wednesday evening- a full day late, thereby necessitating missing the Malta visit entirely (a great disappointment to many on board, but apparently necessary. I heard nothing but support for the captain and crew.) However, there were no accolades for the Turkish government, which essentially held the Noordam and its passengers captive, if you will (security boats patrolled the harbor so we couldn't "make a break for it") while negotiations continued. It is my understanding that maritime law requires the next port of call to accept "refugees" such as these people were, but Turkey did not want to. It is apparently a common occurrence for desperate people fleeing their countries to try to make it to Greece. They were picked up in Greek waters, but Kusadasi, Turkey, was the next port. I don't think we'll ever know all the details, but believe me, we were all pretty pleased to leave Kusadi behind.

Thanks for the update Dixie!

Glad that the pax were all supportive of the Captain and saving these lives.

It's a shame that the Turkish Authorities were so unpleasent about taking these folks ashore. I sure hope these brave souls don't end up being returned to the wars in Iraq and Somalia that they're trying to escape.

More info about the refugees and pix of the rescue here:

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/news/opendoc.htm?tbl=NEWS&id=44883fba4

Agree with Brian but want to add that..........

On the other hand, Huge Congratulations to the (obviously) successful and excellent negotiations HAL representatives did with the Turkish authorities to compel them to honor International Law.

As they say.......... All's well that ends well and there today are 22 lucky souls living and well because the actions of the crew of Noordam.

Bless that ship and her crew!!!

we had heard that several other ships passed the people by.

It's possible they didn't see them. The BRITANIS picked up a raft of refugees in '93 between Cuba and the Florida Keys on our way back to Miami, and the Captain explained later that what made him turn around was a radar contact, not a visual sighting, and that if the water had been choppier the raft likely would not have shown up on the radar. That was thirteen years ago, so perhaps that wouldn't be the case today, but I don't know.

Archived