Chops/Portofino Question

frm what i have read on the boards, it seems most make their res.'s the minute the get to their cabin on day 1- and lots try to go on caribbean jerk chicken night in main d.r.- seems like we went on wed. for both our 7 day cruises-

i don't know what the capacity is -

I saw both Chops and Portofino on FOS and it would really surprise me if each accomodated only 100 per night. I think it is more likely 100 at a time from the look of the rooms.

I do not think RCI would limit their $$$$ by having such small specialty restaurants on their largest ships.

I agree that they could handle more but, for some reason they don't seem to be interested in running to capacity. We've dined in chops and portifino's on nights when I knew they were sold out but, there were always a lot of tables that were empty.

Believe it or not........that is about right.........in fact I think it is less than 100 at any given time. We did Chops and Portofino's both 7 weeks ago on the Mariner.........there probably weren't 50 to 60 people in either one at any given time. People came and went.

I think RC does try and limit it based on what the staff can handle to provide service...............after all it is a surcharge.

I think they do indeed limit capacity at any given time.

Hi, Just my two cents here but dining at both Chops and Portofino's is well worth the extra $$ and effort. Last cruise we went 4 out of the 8 nights and will do the same next time we cruise. We just booked the nights we wanted the first day of the cruise. If the night or nights you want are bookedjust call and see for any cancellations. Great food, great service that is equal to the nicer land based restaurants. I wish the main dining room offered better food but on a scale of one to ten they get a 6 from me.

You can "walk-in" to both of these restaurants! Most folks think it's reservations only! Yes, reservations are recommended, but if there are tables open (and from our experience, there are TONS of open tables) they will seat you! No problems! No need to break your neck trying to get reservations before everyone else! Only a small fraction of the passenger's actually eat there!

In our experience it's not difficult to get reservations to either restaurant unless a group is onboard and hogging the entire restaurant, as happened to us on a short Brilliance cruise. We ate "late" (8pm) at Chops on Radiance and only 3-4 tables were occupied.

I'd still make a reservation sooner rather than later, but I suspect that the surcharge keeps many, many passengers from trying either place.

I agree that they could handle more but, for some reason they don't seem to be interested in running to capacity. We've dined in chops and portifino's on nights when I knew they were sold out but, there were always a lot of tables that were empty.

This is our experience also, managers of both Chop & Port. told us that is the way they do it, serve small groups and apparently scatter around the available tables. More tables empty than full, it was sort of strange, and did not make sense to us. But the food and service were excellent.

Archived