Birth Certificates

kmgl

I was told that valid birth certificates were the ones with a raised seal. Ours all have the raised seal, but are issued by the county of birth, not the state. I believe this is correct because we used them on a cruise four years ago and had no problems. Also, my son used his to obtain a passport with no problems. However, someone since told me we had to get state issued birth certificates, not county. Is that correct?

I was told that valid birth certificates were the ones with a raised seal. Ours all have the raised seal, but are issued by the county of birth, not the state. I believe this is correct because we used them on a cruise four years ago and had no problems. Also, my son used his to obtain a passport with no problems. However, someone since told me we had to get state issued birth certificates, not county. Is that correct?

As long as its government issued raised cert its fine. In many states they are issued by the county

And in some cities, the City Health Department issues a certificate that is acceptable, with raised (embossed) seal. Mine is from City of Berkeley, CA., which still maintains a Health Department separate from the County (Alameda) and the State.

I know they say birth certificate with a picture ID. I don't have a picture ID for my 3 year old daughter. Is this going to be a problem?

Hi mush71,

I traveled to Mexico with the kids birth certs...no problem. But, someone pointed out the importance of having a photo ID of the kids (just in case). So I'm getting passports this time around.

Archived