Odd question on beds

Kinda a weird question but just wondering if you have a cabin on the left side of the ship does the bed headboard face the front or back of the ship. I just think it would feel akward if your head is towards the back of the ship when sailing forward. Makes me sea sick just thinking of that. Or do they alternate from room to room. Not a joke I would really like to know. Thanks

They alternate; most people aren't affected by this sort of thing, but on our last cruise we met a lovely young lady at our wine tasting on a sea day who kindly asked one of us to switch seats at the table so she could face forward.

In some rooms, especially on the aft end, it is possible that you are sideways to the direction of the ship.

Interesting stuff. :)

Leslie

I would say your pretty safe to assume that with your drapes closed (proaly even if they are open since its dark) you wont notice the ship moving at all. I know what you mean though I hate facing the wrong direction if for some reason im in a limo or on a bus.

You must have had those wierd inside cabins, Treven. I think on many/most of our cruises, our feet were indeed facing in the direction of the ship's travel. On Monarch our heads were facing that way, on Mariner our feet were. It is, however, very difficult to tell which direction you are moving on a cruise ship:) Hmm. Maybe that's why I was nauseous on Mariner?:) :p

Really it varies based on ship, cabin category, and location of the stateroom.

For example:

On Sovereign in a superior oceanview cabin, head was pointed towards the bow.

On Voyager in an AFT E1, our head was pointed towards the port side.

On Voyager in an inside cabin, head was pointed towards the port side.

Rhapsody in a Grand Suite, head was pointed towards the bow.

Brilliance in an inside, head was pointed towards the starboard side.

Serenade in an aft cabin, head was pointed towards the starboard side.

Monarch in an oceanview cabin, head was pointed towards the port side.

I would say your pretty safe to assume that with your drapes closed (proaly even if they are open since its dark) you wont notice the ship moving at all. I know what you mean though I hate facing the wrong direction if for some reason im in a limo or on a bus.

I have to agree. I have never been able to tell which direction we were traveling. Nothing to really worry about.

In some rooms, especially on the aft end, it is possible that you are sideways to the direction of the ship.

Interesting stuff. :)

Leslie

I totally didn't think of this, we just booked our first ever aft cabin. It will be interesting to see if sleeping sideways to the direction of the ship will be any different then pointing forward or backward of the direction of travel.

I totally didn't think of this, we just booked our first ever aft cabin. It will be interesting to see if sleeping sideways to the direction of the ship will be any different then pointing forward or backward of the direction of travel.

In our aft cabin our bed was parallel to the aft of the ship, as I think all of our beds have been, except for my cruise on Golden Princess where we were parallel to the side of the ship. I don't remember any difference in any of the directions; if I can feel the roll of the ship at all, it rocks me to sleep!

The ship moves too slow to tell what direction you are heading. The motion you feel is the boat rocking side to side and even front to back in big seas. I find the only way I know the ship is moving is to look at the water, and that can make me sick, so I don't face the windows when I'm eating.

Have never had a real problem with the any motion on the ships. The only time it gets me is running on deck or on the treadmill,it feels a little strange when your moving fast and there is movement around you.

Have always had our beds sideways to the door. Only a Ocean view on the Monarch did I sleep in a twin with my back to the window. Felt fine though!:)

The aft GS on the Serenade 1600 has an angled wall and that's where they put the bed. It's not head to toe and it's not side to side. It was on an angle and the motion was very pronounced on our particular cruise. It was very disorienting. I had to sleep on the couch most nights because of the motion. At least the couch was on a straight wall!

--Judy

You must have had those wierd inside cabins, Treven. I think on many/most of our cruises, our feet were indeed facing in the direction of the ship's travel. On Monarch our heads were facing that way, on Mariner our feet were. It is, however, very difficult to tell which direction you are moving on a cruise ship:) Hmm. Maybe that's why I was nauseous on Mariner?:) :p

It certainly was an inside cabin & when I opened the door, the head of the bed was against the far bulkhead/wall. Quite frankly I slept so well I probably wouldn't have cared which way I was laying in relation to the ship's direction.

Hi Camaro9840,

Not an odd question at all. As you can see by all the above posters, everyone has their personal opinion on the subject. If you are lucky enough to have a smooth sailing, then it doesn't seem to make much difference which way the bed is facing.

BUT, if you run into rough waves :eek:, sea travelers will say it's best to be in a bed where your feet are towards the front of the ship & your head to the back (aft). Therefore, you face the direction the ship is sailing. This helps to lessen the effects of sea sickness. ;)

Consider when you are a passenger in a car. You are facing the direction the car is being driven. Now, consider sitting backwards. If that would tend to make you feel queezy, then you may be a canadate for a stateroom with the "bed where your feet are towards the front of the ship & your head to the back (aft).

I would imagine, most of us have no idea what side the bed is facing till we enter our stateroom & see for ourself. So you can always just move the pillows to the other end of the bed if it's not facing the direction the ship is sailing.

Whatever direction, hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

Happy Sailing,

Suzy B

Kinda a weird question but just wondering if you have a cabin on the left side of the ship does the bed headboard face the front or back of the ship. I just think it would feel akward if your head is towards the back of the ship when sailing forward.

I prefer the opposite to you. If on entering the room the headboard is to the aft, you are traveling feet first with your eyes facing the front if you lifted your head. That seems almost how you drive, just reclined a bit more.

I think the opposite is weird. If your head is towards the front, that's like riding on a train facing backwards - something that makes ME disoriented.

Not only will you not feel much movement, but you will probably find yourselves turned around many times thinking you are walking aft when you are actually going the opposite way. I used the direction indicators in the halls many times to get my bearings.

As many times as I've been on cruise ships, a couple of them several times, I've always gotten lost and can hardly remember which way is forward or aft. Even after 7 days. I've accepted it now and it's kind of fun to "discover" where you are when you least expect it. I get more exercise in, too, when I find myself aft when I should be forward.

We had 5 cabins in a row a couple years ago on Infinty, each cabin was a mirror image of the one next to it. Our feet faced forward, the next aft etc... We probably should have discussed it, but I don't think anyone gave it a thought. Maybe next time we all sail together.

So, when we have interior or OV cabins, we are travelling sideways when we're sleeping. To confuse this even more, on Monarch we have the beds separated (a must in those miniscule cabins!), they are in an "L" shape. Now, I'll have to worry about who is sleeping sideways and who has their head/feet facing forward/aft.

Now I have something new to consider when cruising and I like this, it was getting a little stale to do all the repetetive planning.

Archived