Too many excursions to pick from PLEASE help!

STEPHIE

My husband and I are going on the Vision of the Sea Northbound July 23, 2004 and we am so confused by the many choises?! How do you know which excursion is the most important thing to see for that port of call? For instance, they all have great sounding whale watching tours, but at which port of call is the best to see them? We know in Skagway the white pass railway is a not miss, but other than that? Help! if someone could give us a few suggestions for each port (Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Icy Strait Point), we would be forever thankful!! Please!?

:eek: Steph

You need to narrow down the list according to your interests. :) Whale watching is excellent for humpbacks out of Juneau. I haven't seen reports- but Icy Strait is noted for humpbacks as well. So either would offer a great tour- choose according to what best fits your time? There have been big threads on this board by a resident who offers excellent information on Icy Strait.

Hi Stephie, As BQ says you need to determine what you are interested in. I also think cost is a factor. For me it was very important to see the wildlife and nature so I booked Capt Larry's whalewatching tour in Juneau as well as a helicopter flight to Herbert Glacier (we walked on the glacier). I had never been on a helicopter so for me that was another incentive to do this tour. Both were just wonderful. In Ketchikan we booked a float plane trip to the Misty Ffords but our flight was cancelled because of the weather - it happens. Was disappointed but we did a tour of the town instead, not my first choice but in the wet weather it was dry and warm. I think the best thing it to read this board carefully and then work out what you like the sound of and go for it. I really don't think you can be too disappointed with anything on an Alaskan cruise. Enjoy.

Cheers, Merlin123

I highly recommend the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway. The price is a little higher than some, but it was worth every penny. The guides love their jobs and it shows in the tour. The perspective you get canoeing right up alongside a glacier is just amazing.

Stephie.... Do something by either helicopter or floatplane....they are so awesome.

We have done both....since we have been twice to Alaska. I highly recommend them. We did them both out of Juneau.

Go fishing! Not a fisherman? Don't worry. They will do as little or as much of the "work" for you! The waters are so beautiful...this is a great way to be close to the water and the beauty.

We fished in Icy Strait. I highly recommend. However, if I were to return there...I would do their Whale watching Excursion. They have a huge boat (looks like a mini cruise ship)....and the reports and digital camera views coming off of there were incredible!

The shopping in all of the ports is so similar. One can easily spend hours in each port...viewing the same stuff! Your ship will also carry lots of souvenirs from Alaska. I recommend planning your days so that you are not sucked up into the shopping scene at every port.

Good Luck!!

:)
Thank you all!! Your suggestions are a great help! My husband and I will use your advice. my husband loves to fish but it sounds like I might like it too. Juneau sounds like the palce to go Whale watching!

The train is allright but if you catch a bad day, you will see fog.
Rent a car drive the South Klondike highway. Go to [url]www.explorenorth.com[/url] and look at the mile post. It has all the info and more.

Whale watching in Juneau is a must - loved it and the ones we did in Sitka.

Skagway - White Horse Railway - have done it a couple of times - loved it both times.

Ketchikan - Totem Bight - also walk Creek Street and see Dolly's House. This is (IMO) the best shopping port.

Archived