Military rate booked now husband can't go

CrusinAgain

We booked a cabin using the military rate and next week is final payment. Husband can't go now and he is the military one. I have a choice of cancelling the whole cruise getting my deposit back or going as a solo. If I went as a solo and not cancel him would they up the rate for the cabin at the pier or once on the ship since he isn't there? That would be over 1,000 more for the cabin. My other choice besides just cancelling is putting our daughter in his place. Would they up the price? What have you seen happen? Maybe I should just cancel and go at a later time. I really had my heart set on going.

We booked a cabin using the military rate and next week is final payment. Husband can't go now and he is the military one. I have a choice of cancelling the whole cruise getting my deposit back or going as a solo. If I went as a solo and not cancel him would they up the rate for the cabin at the pier or once on the ship since he isn't there? That would be over 1,000 more for the cabin. My other choice besides just cancelling is putting our daughter in his place. Would they up the price? What have you seen happen? Maybe I should just cancel and go at a later time. I really had my heart set on going.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I did not have a military discount but I did get a discount because my husband works in the transportation industry (Amtrak) and they have a courtesy discount which quite a savings. I was told he had to be with us on the trip or the discount would not appply. However, no one checked on it at the time we boarded the ship. If you made a change to the reservation though and took him off and/or put someone in his place I'm sure they would probably notice and catch it.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I did not have a military discount but I did get a discount because my husband works in the transportation industry (Amtrak) and they have a courtesy discount which quite a savings. I was told he had to be with us on the trip or the discount would not appply. However, no one checked on it at the time we boarded the ship. If you made a change to the reservation though and took him off and/or put someone in his place I'm sure they would probably notice and catch it.

Did your husband go on the trip?

If here husband is the actual military person then she should have an military ID as well. So regardless of wether her husband went or not, shouldn't she just be able to change his name to the daughter's and at port just show her ID?? They still get same benefits on base just like him, I know we always did when I was a child.

I think the same rate should apply to her that is does to him. And I even think in the fine print it said something about dependents receiving the same discount?? Really think I read this before. Just wondering about this. Can someone clear this up for us.

How would it be cash wise to add your daughter as 3rd passenger in same cabin without taking hubby off and then you & daughter just cruise. I know your paying for 3 people & only 2 cruising, but it might be cheaper then rebooking with just you & daughter without the military discount.

How would it be cash wise to add your daughter as 3rd passenger in same cabin without taking hubby off and then you & daughter just cruise. I know your paying for 3 people & only 2 cruising, but it might be cheaper then rebooking with just you & daughter without the military discount.

Yes, I had thought of that also, and it would be cheaper by $340 to do it that way instead of rebooking. They want 600 dollars for the 3rd and 4th person.

I just keep thinking what if we did it like that and get to pier or ship and it goes not only back to civilian prices but with the addition of the 3rd person making the cruise cost $1500 more.

Per the rules the military member has to travel. The proof of being in the military has already been submitted in order to qualify for the rate. That being said, if the member was to be sick/redeployed and could not make the cruise and the other party continues, I could not see them raising the rate.

You are right in that if you remove your husband, the rate would revert back.

Dave

If here husband is the actual military person then she should have an military ID as well. So regardless of wether her husband went or not, shouldn't she just be able to change his name to the daughter's and at port just show her ID?? They still get same benefits on base just like him, I know we always did when I was a child.

I think the same rate should apply to her that is does to him. And I even think in the fine print it said something about dependents receiving the same discount?? Really think I read this before. Just wondering about this. Can someone clear this up for us.

Dependents can not Receive the Military discount, Its not just a Military ID that has to be shown, you have to fax Carnival a copy of your DD214 and only the persons name that is on it can get the discount.

Per the rules the military member has to travel. The proof of being in the military has already been submitted in order to qualify for the rate. That being said, if the member was to be sick/redeployed and could not make the cruise and the other party continues, I could not see them raising the rate.

You are right in that if you remove your husband, the rate would revert back.

Dave

If you dont remove your hubby and just check in without him, I really dont think there will be a problem like jetskier said, because hubby is paid for cruising or not.

Have you called you TA to check prices on rebooking for just you and daughter maybe you can get a past guest or resident rate. Or maybe even a 1a cabin. "Opps not sure that is allowed so took it out...sorry"

when is your sail date and what ship?

If you dont remove your hubby and just check in without him, I really dont think there will be a problem like jetskier said, because hubby is paid for cruising or not.

Have you called you TA to check prices on rebooking for just you and daughter maybe you can get a past guest or resident rate. Or maybe even a 1a cabin. Travelocity has a lot of resident rates posted some are great prices.. http://leisure.travelocity.com/RealDeals/Details/0,2941,TRAVELOCITY_CRU_3503__26,00.html

when is your sail date and what ship?

The ship is just about full since there are only a few cabins left according to all the sites including Carnivals that I checked so no 1A's left or interiors. Mostly suites and 9A's.

The ship is just about full since there are only a few cabins left according to all the sites including Carnivals that I checked so no 1A's left or interiors. Mostly suites and 9A's.

Then you may be in luck if you rebook 1a guaranteed and they have none! You may end up with a suite or 9a at a 1a price! ;) Of course, you could still end up in a 1a!

This is all speculation. Call Carnival or your TA and ask!

Well that's a sure way of getting the price to go up! I have seen on these boards others just did not cancel the person when a person gets a special rate even a senior discount rate and wanted to know what happened when they got to pier or on the ship.

Then you may be in luck if you rebook 1a guaranteed and they have none! You may end up with a suite or 9a at a 1a price! ;) Of course, you could still end up in a 1a!

Well that is interesting! I don't see this as a option online nor the interiors. Is this something to call directly and say I want 1A guarantee?

Well that's a sure way of getting the price to go up! I have seen on these boards others just did not cancel the person when a person gets a special rate even a senior discount rate and wanted to know what happened when they got to pier or on the ship.

It's not a sure way of making the price go up. It's very easy to call Carnival and say, "what would happen to our rates if my husband who is the person in the cabin who qualifies for the military discount, could not make it on the cruise? I'm not calling to change anything right now I just need info about a few different scenarios."

They will give you the info you need to make a decision. If the PVP you talk to doesn't seem well informed (hey, it happens:D ) then call back and speak to another. You can write down the answers for all the possibilities and make a decision that works best for you.

Your rate will not be increased if the cabin is left as is and your husband just doesn't show up and you cruise alone. His fare is paid whether he's there or not.

Archived