What to do in St Marteen?

We loved Orient Beach. Many will say it's a must see; others will say it's not. The water is clear and warm with an easy entry (at least where we were it was easy--the beach is something like 2 miles long). The bay is protected by little islands so the water is not too rough most of the time. The sand is white and soft. The people were friendly. Just a perfect beach day all around. We have seen nothing like it anywhere, including Hawaii, which we love.

beachchick

My wife and I went on the Rhino Riders. I think it was about $50 ea including a fairly short van ride to the pier. if you've never seen one, a rhino rider is a 10 foot long "boat" (more raft-like) with a 25hp motor, and seats 2. they have a fairly flat bottom, and go pretty fast on the open ocean. we had a lot of fun.

We started in a bay where the Regattas are held, then went north around to the French side to Happy bay, where we snorkled and had some beach time, and a soft drink. all were provided in the cost.

i would do it again

You can probably get a lot more choices/opinions if you go to the Ports of Call Board (CC main Page) and scroll down to St. Martin... I found the Ports of Call pages to be extremely valuable in determining what to do at the various ports. Enjoy!!

Check out the planes coming in the land over Maho Bay. Park yourself at the Sunset Beach Bar, have one or two (or three or four...) cold ones and watch the planes, especially the jumbo jets, approach the airport.

Check out the photo gallery for Sunset's website...awesome!

http://www.sunsetbeachbar.com/photoalbums

Big planes start coming in around 12:30; jumbo's around 3pm or something.

Cindy

Maho Bay!!

This is one of my favorite places i've ever visited in any port.

We took the public bus there (if i recall $1US per person each way vs. $20 for taxi) and then it was $5-10(??) for an umbrella rental. Cheap day and great watching the planes come in overhead.

Oh yeah, then $20 for 4 drinks at the Sunset Bar!

If you are into ecology and nature go on the Loterie Farms Eco hike. The farm is on the French side of the island and it is a beautiful hike. It is a little challenging but well worth it and it includes lunch. The guy that runs it is originally from southern California and is committed to preserving the area.

Sue: (I assume thats your name :D )

Do you know if there's a website for Loterie farms?

I'm also looking at St. Maarten and have heard through these boards that the snorkeling isn't that wonderful if you've been snorkeling before at any great spots.

Julie

America's Cup Sailing Regatta....It's a must! My husband and I did it in March 2003 and are doing it again with more family members this December!

Booked thru the ship about $99 per person I think.

Enjoy!

On Explorer last May - We booked the Catamaran trip to a private island, and were not thrilled. DH got violently ill once there. The trip was really choppy, made worse by the captain trying to make it even more choppy. Beautiful private island beach, but we would have been happier sipping pina coladas on a beach right on St Maarten... :) just thought I'd share.

Golden Eagle catamaran booked thru the cruise is a great excursion!! It takes you to Orient beach (I think??). Great snorkel, drinks, lunch and still time to shop in St. Maarten!

Tracey

We enjoy walking around Phillipsburg and actuallly go to the beach right there. You can get a lounge chair for the afternoon and there are places to eat right on the beach. St Maarten has some of the most beautiful beaches and the warmest, clearest water there is. I love it there

Archived