2 weeks RV rental or 1 week RV/1 week cruise?

disneymomct

Planning to go to Alaska in Aug 2008 with husband and 2 sons (10 & 12 then). We have 2 weeks and can't decide if we should rent RV for 2 weeks or rent for 1 week and cruise 1 week. We've been on a couple cruises before and would only be cruising for the ports. We plan on cruising in the future so not too worried about shows, food ect. If we do the 1/1 then we would drive north from Anchorage. If 2 weeks RV then 1 week north of Anchorage and 1 week south? Any one have an opinion on which would be better and what route. Thanks for your time.

Hi disneymom... we just returned from a 1wk cruise, 1wk RV. The mix was perfect, although I enjoyed the RV as much as the cruise, we also appreciated the time to relax together on the cruise and not think about maps, groceries, camping grounds, etc.

You mention sailing only for the ports... there is so much more to sailing Alaska than just the ports. From the time you board until you disembark the scenery is simply fabulous. You can spot whales, sea otter, porpoise, etc from the ship, in addition to sailing beautiful glacial areas. On board naturalists and park rangers are an added advantage. I feel that waterfront Alaska and interior Alaska have distinct differences.

Following the cruise, we RV'd both south and north of Anchorage... from Seward to Denali. I do wish we'd've had more time to go east of Anchorage, down to Valdez. The little bit of Glen Highway we traveled was not enough!

How about 2 weeks RV and 1 week cruise??? ;) That'd do it up nicely!!!:)

The mix is a great option for an overall trip. But 2 week interior is just wonderful for touring since it can include Homer and Valdez as well as Seward, Denali Park and Fairbanks. With a week, you are best to limit to Seward and Denali park.

So keep up your research and don't be in a rush for any decisions now. Request visitor guides from each area. Head to your library and take out Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska. The more you know the better your choices will be for your priorities.

But I disagree on the "relaxing" descriptions. With proper planning, interior Alaska travel should never be hectic. The problems arise with people packing their itineraries too much. Remember significant distances and time is necessary to ideally explore areas. The cruise for me, is just as "intense", you will see me out on deck every day, up early, out late and a port time planned taking advantage of all I can. :) You have a LOT of time for your plans, use this time to find your ideal.

... You mention sailing only for the ports... there is so much more to sailing Alaska than just the ports. From the time you board until you disembark the scenery is simply fabulous. You can spot whales, sea otter, porpoise, etc from the ship, in addition to sailing beautiful glacial areas. On board naturalists and park rangers are an added advantage. I feel that waterfront Alaska and interior Alaska have distinct differences.

I agree that the cruise is much more than a cruise elsewhere such as the Caribbena. Yes, the cruise includes food, entertainment, and port calls. But mostly it includes wonderful views of the shore from a different perspective. We saw whales, dolphins, otters, eagles, etc. from the ship. And the view of the glaciers is spectacular! And these ports are excellent -- a great opportunity to see totem poles, salmon fishery, a glacier up close, and more. Have fun whichever you decide!

I really, really LOVE to cruise, but given those two choices and what you are looking for, I would say do the 2 weeks in the RV. I really think you can experience more that Alaska has to offer that way. One week in an RV is really a pretty quick trip. If you extend it to 2 weeks you could see so much more.

We've RV'd quite a bit in Alaska... with that amount of time, I'd say start in Anchorage and drive up the Parks Highway stopping in Denali and then head up to Fairbanks. Leave Fairbanks on the Richardson Highway, I would recommend taking it all the way down to Valdez; the drive from the Glenn Highway intersection to Valdez is one of the most beautiful drives in the State. Backtrack back to the Glenn and go back to Anchorage that way. Then head over to Seward, there are some great wildlife/glacier tours in Seward (we like the 6 or 8 hour Kenai Fjords tours) that will give you an opportunity to see lots of whales, sea lions, sea otters, puffins, and beautiful views of a glacier, so you won't miss those experiences that are part of the hightlights of a cruise. If you have time, you can continue down the Kenai Peninsula to Homer, but I think that may be pushing it, look at that if you'll have time. Then head back to Anchorage.

We've done this loop several times (starting in Fairbanks), and have done it in as little as a week, but that doesn't allow you any time anywhere. You really need at least 2 weeks to do it right.

Let me know if you'd like more information on our favorite campgrounds, or things to do at those stops.

Whatever you do, have a great trip! :)

But I disagree on the "relaxing" descriptions. With proper planning, interior Alaska travel should never be hectic. The problems arise with people packing their itineraries too much.

We had a WONDERFUL RV trip post cruise, and I sure hope my mentioning that my husband and I also appreciated time to relax on the cruise doesn't lead anyone to think the RVing was hectic or too packed with activities to enjoy.

I spent weeks (that's an understatement!) planning this trip, and cruise critic suggestions and searches played a very large part in the trip becoming the success that it was; not only for our family, but for friends who decided to joined us for both cruise and RV vacationing.

However, planned though it was, there are still responsibilities the driver has that he/she doesn't have to deal with for those 7 days on the cruise. My husband did most of the driving, but I did ALL of the planning, thus, for the cruise portion especially, all he had to do was follow me! He found that a bit more relaxing than the driving once we had the RV. That said... he was not under real stress at anytime!!!;)

Our friends who went 1 week cruise, 1 week RV with us this year, plan to go back... and are definite on planning no cruise and 2 weeks RV. Not that they didn't love the cruise, but they just loved the RV more.

Archived