Most recommended glacier tour

smariner

Hello,

Which glacier tour (& operator) would you recommend the most? We will be stopping at the ports in Juneau, Skagway & Icy Strait Point.

We are visiting Alaska on RCCL (RT to Seattle) & were told that we won't see (m)any glaciers on our cruise :-(. We'll be visiting Alaska for the first time & my parents will accompany us -- i am pretty keen on ensuring that they visit some glaciers. Budget can be ~$300 per person.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Which glacier tour (& operator) would you recommend the most? We will be stopping at the ports in Juneau, Skagway & Icy Strait Point.

We are visiting Alaska on RCCL (RT to Seattle) & were told that we won't see (m)any glaciers on our cruise :-(. We'll be visiting Alaska for the first time & my parents will accompany us -- i am pretty keen on ensuring that they visit some glaciers. Budget can be ~$300 per person.

Thanks in advance.

Here are some tours that the cruise company is offering

1. Glacier Bay Flightseeing (from Icy Strait point)
  2. Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter
  3. Pilot's choice glacier exploration from Juneau

Any thoughts on which one might be a better choice?

I have done both glacier flightseeing and glacier helicopter landings. My preference are the landings. Of the two listed, and no budget limitations (meaning that $300 doesn't prevent going on another tour of interest) - definately the pilot's choice and /or double landing.

We are on the same Seattle RT on RCCL and are trying to figure out the same thing, there are so many options!

It seems like most the helicopter tour references on the boards are for Temsco, Costal and ERA. I’ve looked at those three websites and they all have good short trips with various options for landings and dog sleding, but it doesn’t appear that any of them have a tour that lets you really go for a while on the glacier (more than 30 minutes).

NorthStar Trekking (http://www.glaciertrekking.com/index.htm) has a 2 hour heli-hike that looks like it gets you out on the glacier longer (and you get to use crampons, ice-axe etc...), and if you're going to spend $350+ to get there why not stay for a while. I know we're leaning towards using them as something with a bit more adventure than just landing and staying in one area for 20-30 minutes. Skagway and Icy Striaght have whale watching, RR, fishing etc... but this type of option only seems available out of Juneau (Temsco heli-hike in Skagway sounds like you don't actually hike on the glacier, just near it?). Also - RCCL website offers something that sounds a lot like this for $399, but directly through the oporator it is only $359.

Would really like to know if anyone has used NorthStar Trekking before though and how it was? We would feel more comfortable making reservations for this type of excursion if we were sure that they had a good reputation.

Thanks.

We are on the same Seattle RT on RCCL and are trying to figure out the same thing, there are so many options!

It seems like most the helicopter tour references on the boards are for Temsco, Costal and ERA. I’ve looked at those three websites and they all have good short trips with various options for landings and dog sleding, but it doesn’t appear that any of them have a tour that lets you really go for a while on the glacier (more than 30 minutes).

NorthStar Trekking (http://www.glaciertrekking.com/index.htm) has a 2 hour heli-hike that looks like it gets you out on the glacier longer (and you get to use crampons, ice-axe etc...), and if you're going to spend $350+ to get there why not stay for a while. I know we're leaning towards using them as something with a bit more adventure than just landing and staying in one area for 20-30 minutes. Skagway and Icy Striaght have whale watching, RR, fishing etc... but this type of option only seems available out of Juneau (Temsco heli-hike in Skagway sounds like you don't actually hike on the glacier, just near it?). Also - RCCL website offers something that sounds a lot like this for $399, but directly through the oporator it is only $359.

Would really like to know if anyone has used NorthStar Trekking before though and how it was? We would feel more comfortable making reservations for this type of excursion if we were sure that they had a good reputation.

Thanks.

I am using NorthStar in early July. I will post after we return to let you know how the trekking went.

We were in Juneau on 6/7 and used NorthStar Trekking. They were GREAT! Pickup service was waiting for us when we arrived at the meeting place. When done they dropped us back at the ship. They get you all outfitted and store whatever you don't need to take along with you. They give you a granola bar and a water bottle (which they have you dump out on the glacier and fill it back up with crystal clear glacier water instead). The pilot was great, the tour guide, on the glacier was great. I would absolutely use them again!

We had beautiful weather! Our pilot, Mike, said it had been pouring the four days prior, but we had awesome weather. The views were just breath-taking!

Let me know if you have other questions. I'm happy to answer.

SMariner:

We did the heli/landing tour w/Temsco in Juneau. I believe it was close to $200 pp. It was outstanding. The pilot takes you over the Juneau ice fields and lands on the glacier. We got out and walked around for around 15-20 minutes. It was all we needed. He told us we could take our time. If you would like to see the pictures, the link is down below. Click on the 2nd album that has Juneau, Mercury 5/19 and see some of the sights.

Claudia

We were in Juneau on June 9th and did a level II trek with Northstar. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We were picked up at the the Red Dog Saloon and taken out to the airport by Steve, who gave a great narration and informative tour on the way. Pilot Noah was excellent and guide Dave was fabulous. We spent about 2 hours on the glacier and because our group was quite adventurous and small (5 of us) we got to do some rappelling down on one part of the glacier. It was absolutely the best. Apparently not all level II treks will do this but Dave thought we were able to handle it and would enjoy it and it was great. We do not regret spending the $$ at all. Would do it again. We originally wanted to do the level III trek but couldn't do both that and Captain Larry with our port time so settled for level II and then Orca picked us up at the airport and got us to the boat for the afternoon whale watch. My only advice to you would be to attempt to make sure you are with a group that matches your activity level and your abilities. It is difficult if someone in the group is not able or willing to try some things.

If you choose Northstar I hope you have as good a time as we did. Good luck with your decision. If I can answer any questions for you let me know.

This is exactly what we have booked for our trip in August. Thanks so much for your positive comments. Makes me confident that we have found the right tour. This is the only excursion that we are booking because it is one that we don't want to miss. I can hardly wait!!

The rest of the excursions we'll decide about at the last minute depending on the weather and our mood. After all this is a vacation and we don't want to over plan. There is something to be said for just letting things "unfold."

Archived