Another CHILKOOT CHARTERS Question

JuneauWhatIMean

Our ship (the Mercury) is scheduled to be in Skagway on Monday, Sept 11 from 7 to 3. Will this be enough time to do the Yukon Bus & Rail Tour? Their site lists the tour time as being 7:30 to 2:30, 7 hours total.

So it would be ship/train/bus/ship. We wouldn't get to see any of Skagway itself. I don't want to rent a car because I want to do the train and I don't want hubby driving on his vacation.

DH and I would love to see the Yukon but is it okay to miss Skagway proper and does anyone know the cost of this tour?

And what the heck does everyone do about breakfast at that ungodly hour???

Thanks and Cheers,

Ali

Personally, I think you'll be cutting it way too close at the end. If your ship leaves Skagway at 3:00, they will want everyone onboard at 2:30. I don't know the cost of the shorter tour, but I read somewhere that the 7-hour tour cost ~ $152/pp.

I was also considering the Chilkoot rail/bus trip to the Yukon, until I booked a cruise that doesn't get into Skagway until 8 a.m. So now I think we'll do the shorter 3.5 hour rail/bus combo. First thing we'll do is go to the National Park Service Visitor Center, take one of the free park ranger walking tours, see a movie, mill about town, and then do the rail/bus trip at noon.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/home.htm

The buffet usually opens by 6 or 6:30 a.m. on days the ship arrives in port early.

Hi we were on the Infinity early may 2006 and used Chilkoot charters would highly recommend doing the rail up to Fraser and bus return trip

request info from chilkoot they were very very helpful

Skagway is quite small and the National park Centre also is very interesting the driver dropped us in the main town area on our return and it takes about 10 mintutes to walk to the ship would also RECommend the Skagway Outlet Store if you are after usual type hats/tshirts/books/ULU knife sets/etc etc best range and best prices:) ann

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spoke with Captain Larry (yep, there's two of them) yesterday and he said the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion (7 hours) will be doable if enough people are interested. They will just shave a little time off here and there.

I'm so freakin excited!!!! I've booked the four people in my party and hope others will sign up. This is for Monday, September 11th, if anyone is interested.

This tour includes the train up and then the bus to Carcross, Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, Lake Bennett, lunch, admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, and puppy petting at a dogsled camp. I think it's a real bargain at just over $158. :D:D:D

Ali

Oops.....hope I didn't break the rules here dear Hosts and Hostesses. I just want people to know that it may be possible to do a 7 hour excursion with an 8 hour port time. Didn't mean to "sell" or "share a tour" and I'm certainly not afiliated with any tour company.

Cheers,

Ali

:)

Can you tell me if this trip includes lunch? I'm looking at a similar tour through Holland America that another poster above mentioned and that includes lunch (salmon bake) and a stop at the Red Onion Saloon. I would think for a 7 or 8 hour tour, they would have to include something, but I didn't see anything on the site. I don't mind paying for lunch as long as there is an opportunity to do so..

:) Thanks!

Well, I spoke with Captain Larry (yep, there's two of them) yesterday and he said the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion (7 hours) will be doable if enough people are interested. They will just shave a little time off here and there.

I'm so freaking excited!!!! I've booked the four people in my party and hope others will sign up. This is for Monday, September 11th, if anyone is interested.

This tour includes the train up and then the bus to Carcross, Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, Lake Bennett, lunch, admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, and puppy petting at a dogsled camp. I think it's a real bargain at just over $158. :D:D:D

Ali

We took it and you will eat at the wildlife museum area. Nice Donuts.. Barb-a-que chicken, salad.. etc.. They can accommodate many.. then there is an ice cream parlor there too.. he is a tad pricey.. but good

Archived