Is this dress formal enough?

I think this dress is formal enough since I've been looking at other dresses that are being posted. But I just want to double check and hopefully get some affirmation from you lovely folks! So addicted to this site!

Personnally, I am not a fan of short floral dresses on formal night. While it is a BEAUTIFUL dress, it is not in the ''spirit'' of formal night. Some other simple cocktail dress are more appropriate than this fancier dress (just my opinion, nothing more).

To me, it's a great informal dress. You won't be denied entry to the dinning room if you choose to wear it.

Is it just me or other people feel the same?

Well, you probably can't tell from the picture but the dress is made out of 100% silk with chiffon overlay and tulle detail at the skirt hem. So it seems like it might be too fancy to wear as an informal (or "smart casual" as the cruise website calls it). I also have a black silk shrug that I plan to wear in case I get cold.

But now I don't know. I haven't been to a formal since prom (and that was a long, long, long, long time ago). So are cocktail dresses traditionally solid colors and supposed to be black?

Does cocktail dress = formal dress in the adult formal world? :confused:

My DH and I are cruising for the first time ever so I've been on the boards religiously soaking up all the information, especially the fashion boards so I can get a better idea of clothes to pack. It all seems pretty exciting and I've heard that cruising can be very addicting. I've been amazed at how many people's signature lines show a bunch of future cruises already booked! That might be us when we come back from our trip :)

No, I don't really think that cocktail dress = formal... BUT I do not think all people go FULL formal, myself included.

I think the dress is really pretty, especially the way you describe the material. I don't care for any kind of floral print for myself, but appreciate the right one on others.

I say, if you feel great in the dress, it will be great for formal night. You won't be in full formal but you won't be underdressed, depending on the ship, either.;)

What ship are you on?

Aha! I have just made a self discovery. The dress I have posted is considered "semi-formal." Now that I think of it, if I were to go to prom in this dress, I guess I would feel a bit underdressed. Well, I'm pretty good with putting on fancy makeup and doing my own updo's so that should help dress it up more.

Worse comes to worse, I can go shopping for a new dress.....darn :rolleyes:

I am sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas (8/20/06).

No, I don't really think that cocktail dress = formal... BUT I do not think all people go FULL formal, myself included.

I think the dress is really pretty, especially the way you describe the material. I don't care for any kind of floral print for myself, but appreciate the right one on others.

I say, if you feel great in the dress, it will be great for formal night. You won't be in full formal but you won't be underdressed, depending on the ship, either.;)

What ship are you on?

True that cocktail dress do not equal formal dress but cruise ship dress code allow formal gown or cocktail dress for what they call formal night.

Sorry chopsticks2000 to hear that you spent so much money on this dress and it's not perfectly appropriate for formal night. I'm sure you can find a nice cocktail dress for a third of what you paid your dress. If you really can't find anything at a price you can pay, don't worry, you won't be denied entry in the dinning room with your dress but you may feel a little out of place.

I assure you that I love your dress and I'm sure you can wear it on informal nights and also at home for summer weddings or other special occasions.

although the dress is not "formal"- on the 6 cruiselines I have been on that could be worn on formal night. Very few women actually wear evening gowns on formal nights. Even on Celebrity and HAL the LBDs were seen more then evening gowns. Many women simply had on black dress slacks with sparkly tops. Your dress will be more formal then them for sure in my opinion.

I agree with momofmeg. While this dress is not "formal" it's a really cute dress and with an up do, some long earings and stilettos, viola....you will be a lot dressier than some on Formal night. I, myself, choose long gowns for formal night, and the last few cruises, have felt "overdressed". On Rhapsody of the Seas...you'll be just fine!

Mrsfuzzmo

I think this would look lovely for formal night! Black and white is so chic right now and the ruching on the waist is a fabulous detail. A black wrap and strappy sandals will look terrific with it also. Enjoy!

I think its a great dress. I would wear a sparkly black sandal and you can dress it up a little more with some sparkly jewelry. I would get a choker with a real pretty black stone in it, or an omega with an enhancer. A bracelet, earrings and rings, I think it is fine.

All the cruises I have been on I very seldom see women dressed up formal formal. I mean the long dresses and sequined jackets. The last trip we took in April my formal dress was a sleeveless black knit mid calf length, with a matching bolero jacket with turquoise stones around the collar. My husband wore a nice dark suit and I think we looked great!

I read your other post and my advice is not to be intimidated. You will look wonderful in this dress! People wear all kinds of things on formal night and you will be one of the better dressed ladies in the dining room, especially with your hair up, wearing dangly earrings and high heels.

Since you're worried about what you're going to wear, I have faith that you will look lovely. It's the people who don't give a flip that can spoil things. Not for me, but for some.

Planning for a cruise is supposed to be fun. Enjoy yourself. You will be beautiful!

I think it would be fine for FN with a dressy pair of strappy sandals, the right jewelry and hair do....

We sailed on Princess in Feb and the After 5 look in dresses was much more evident than the ball/formals gowns were.

The attire for FN went anywhere from full blown ball gowns to black pants and a silk blouse....

I also found the 2nd FN dressier than the first.

I see the OP is from Tx....are you departing out of Galveston?

Your dress will be fine on Rhapsody of the Seas. I sailed on it last September and am getting ready to sail on her again in April 2007. There was a great mixture of short dresses and long gowns on this ship on the first night, which was formal night, although I will say, there were probably more gowns. The second night was more for cocktail dresses, which this dress would be absolutely fine for, as well. But, if you dress it up with strappy sandals, updo, and the right bling, it will be just fine on the first night. I am from Austin too!! You will have a blast on this ship!!

although I have only been on 2 cruises, this is a lovely dress (read the complete description) and with the right shoes and jewelry, and hair done right.....;) I think if would be appropriate :) have seen much less formal than this on formal night and depends on which ship your going on but this would be considered "formal" on a NCL...you have to please yourself and not worry too much about what others say since everyone has their own level of what they feel is appropriate....

Just wanted to say... the other thing I love about this dress is how many events it could work for. Could be dolled up for the formal, or flowing hair, and strappy high heels for a nice summer party. in fact am looking for one similar to this. ;) Where did you find it? :)

~Rebecca

That is a great dress. Very stylish. I'm wearing something very similar, but all black, for my second formal night on cruise and feel fine about it. I have a good silver choker, high heels and that's it.

Your dress is great.

Have lots of fun!!!

Just wanted to say... the other thing I love about this dress is how many events it could work for. Could be dolled up for the formal, or flowing hair, and strappy high heels for a nice summer party. in fact am looking for one similar to this. ;) Where did you find it? :)

~Rebecca

Thanks! I'm planning to wear this one on the second formal night and a red bridesmaid dress on the first night. Anyway, i got this black and white dress at Ann Taylor since I get a really great discount as a sales assoc. It's got convertible straps that you can add to the dress if you don't want to go strapless. I might have to use the straps b/c I don't have a much in front to hold it up. :o

Archived