What's the "Theme" of the Ryndam?

iceman93

I just read in another post that the Volendam is themed around flowers, with even more fresh arrangements than elsewhere on the fleet. My last cruise was on the "beautiful and elegant" Maasdam, which didn't seem all that different to me except that the staff kept reminding us how beautiful and elegant the ship was. And both the Rotterdam and Amsterdam are flagships, with especially nice art collections, etc. befitting their status.

My next cruise is on the Ryndam. What makes her special in the fleet?

I don't think the Volendam has more fresh flowers than any of the other ships.

I have been on the Ryndam but never thought about a theme. It is very similiar to other S class ships. The atrium has a sea serpent.

I think only two ships have "themed" decor - VOLENDAM's is flowers, and ZAANDAM's is music.

I don't think VOLENDAM has more actual flowers; rather, her decor is themed around flowers.

I am not aware of any other HAL ships with "themed" decor.

Recently, when new HAL ships have come out, they have had their own slogans. I know AMSTERDAM, for example, was "Excellence with a Splash". I remember ZUIDERDAM had one too, but I can't remember what it was.

If you really want to know a lot about an HAL ship (or any other ship for that matter), try to locate a copy of the inagural book. Yes, just about every ship has a book written about her when she is built. Try ebay or abebooks. I know people who collect these - I would, if I had the space and didn't have better things to spend money on ;) . I do have a copy of ROTTERDAM (VI)'s, sent to me by a kind friend who had a whole stack of extras. It makes for fun reading, though I'm not sure if it would be of any interest for a ship I didn't like...

Judyjay when you say theater do you mean the Wajang Theatre or the Vermeer Lounge? I thought the Vermeer lounge tended to have more of an Oriental Theme to it. Where they take formal pictures just inside the entrance on the Starboard side is a little Rock Garden with a Pagoda. I do not remember any tulips in there but possible in the Wajang since I was not in there this past cruise.

Laffnvegas,

I took a look at the Ryndam on shipcafe's site.

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/ry/ry_up.htm

I am not seeing what I think of as tulips but.........

The Vermeer Lounge

Named after master Dutch painter is the Vermeer Lounge located completely forward on both Upper Promenade Deck and Promenade Deck.

In lovely Dutch style, the Vermeer Lounge has a predominant theme of colorful tulips in many lighted forms. Located on both port and starboard side near the entrances are unique Zen gardens.

The cast of the Ryndam performs in the Vermeer Lounge to newly released production shows as part of the ship's 'Signature of Excellence'unique Zen gardens.

The bluish-purplish colored light fixtures are supposed to be tulips.

Some of them are sconces, other ones are on poles and look kind of like asparagus, but with blue flowers and silver stalks.

The whole space is rather odd and out of character with the rest of the ship. It was designed by Joe Farcus who does the interiors of the Carnival and now the Costa ships. The showlounges of the S-class ships were all designed by Farcus, as were the Crow's Nests of all the S-class ships except the last one, VEENDAM. The Crow's Nests have since been gutted and rebuilt as part of the Signature of Excellence refits, but the showlounges remain as the only decorative testaments to Carnival's ownership of HAL.

Archived