spontaneous combustion!

skiptomylou

I just booked a cruise on 8/7 - Alaska - on Coral Princess...My wife has been treated with both ovarian and uterine cancer...and we are going to go between treatments (go the docs OK)...so we are good to go!!!!!!!!!!!

My questions:

1. tell me about the ship?

2. where is the best place to share an nice drink (view)

3. any don't miss tours (and who to book them with)

4. any shows, events not to miss?

We have cruised exclusively on RC and this was totally seat of the pants

We need a break...and I think a cruise can be part of the cure!!

Your experienced advice is much appreciated!

Originally there was a thread and no post (hence the title of my title).

-------------

You will love the Coral. We took it to Panama Canal this spring. Gorgeous boat. Great food.

There is a deck aft on Baja and some other decks which usually aren't too crowded if you like to watch the wake.

I think the cruise will be just the thing to help your wife feel better. Which treatments is she between? She may feel tired so you might not want to book excursions that are too long.

You can book excursions through the Princess site. Sign into it and go to shore excursions.

Since you were on RC, I think you can qualify for the Princess Gold standing. You might want to check into that. That might bring the price down a bit if you didn't already get the frequent cruiser standing.

Wishing you both a great vacation and a lot of years of survivorship.

coral princess is a very comfortable ship from my understanding. I have never sailed on her, only on her sister ship, Island Princess, but all tell me it is at least equal to the Island, and it is one of my favorite ships.

I went to Alaska twice on the Sapphire Princess. My favorite tour was whale watching at Juneau. I got it through the ship and it also combined going to Mendenhall Glacier, but I understand there are some very good companies you can book on your own. I have done the tour twice and loved it both times.

My mother, who accompanied us, is in her 80's and enjoyed the train ride at Skagway. I do not recommend the side tour that goes to Hanes. Too expensive for what you see and experience.

I have not been on any of the helicopter rides (my one attempt got cancelled) but I understand they are very good. If you stop at Victoria in the evening just get off the ship and go downtown. You will enjoy the stroll and shopping.

Have a great time!!

She has had the std 6 treatments. Had stage 3 ovarian and stage 1 uterin. She is declared in remission but decicded to do anothe 12 months of "maintenance" chemo...she is a tough woman. Thanks for the response...I really appreciate it!!

I went on the Coral Princess last year through the Panama Canal. We loved it. I did the pottery wheel you can make a piece of pottery from start to finish. I loved it since it was my first time doing pottery. Only the Coral and Island have the pottery wheel. She might enjoy that.

I recently lost my best friend to skin cancer and have another good friend in hospice with end stage stomach cancer, so I know the tremendous burden that chemo can place on both body and soul. To your wife, I say, way to go. Have a great cruise and enjoy the days as they come. A cruise will be a wonderful respite from the hospital. We really enjoy the train out of Skaway and wandering around Sitka. I don't know if you stop at Victoria, but the Bucchard Garden's are really worth the effort to get there. Have a wonderful cruise and a lo-o-o-ong (a lifetime worth of )remission!

Charlie

Have you been to the Coral Roll Call thread on this site for your sail date?

Also, there is a thread about the wonderful, awesome desserts on Princess and I think, especially the Coral.

It's good that you both can take a break. Just a note of caution. We went on a caribbean cruise this past March after I completed radiation. We thought it would be chance for both of us to forget about our situation for a while. I tried to limit my excursions to non-physical types and short duration. Still, I wanted to have the same cruise experience I have enjoyed before. With plane travel, shipboard activities, and port visits, I ran out of gas before the cruise was over. My illness and life style during treatment really took a bite out of my stamina. Your wife sounds like a strong person, but you both should closely monitor how she feels after each day. Plan your trip around those things you really want to do, fit relaxation days in-between, and don't be afraid to skip something. Most of all, keep up the good fight, enjoy each other, and have a good cruise. - Phil

My wife has finished the standard 6 chemo treatments and has begun a 12 month "maintenace type" cycle....lower dose, only one medication and 4 weeks apart instead of 3. Stamina will be an issue, and that is good advice to be conscious of that. The plan is really to relax, see the beautiful sceneary, enjoy people's company, stay away from germs(!).

I have not seen the roll call for this cruise (I did look a couple of times)

And I will look for the dessert thread!

You are heading to Alaska at a great time of year. As other posters have said, just pace yourself. Believe me, the cruise experience itself will have your relaxing and enjoying yourself.

I have not been through Chemo, but the radiation can kick you in the butt. I found myself hitting the "wall" at about 3 in the afternoon.

You will enjoy so much about Princess. So many places to sit and enjoy others company.

Read prarie cruisers post again. Good info there.:)

If you don't see a roll call - just start one. ;)

Good luck with the trip and God Bless.:)

Beautiful choice. A cruise is a well deserved treat and distraction from her illness. I wish you both well and success with her treatment.

DITTO...best wishes to both of you and bon voyage

If your wife can stay up later on formal night, take her to the champagne waterfall in the atrium and be sure to get a photo of her as she pours into the top glass. This is not done on RCL. I think its an amazing sight and a fun party with the crew.

I just was on the Coral and she is a lovely ship. Have a great time!

I hope this cruise will relax you both after all the stress of the disease and treatments. I would suggest not planning any excursions and just taking it easy (it'll be one more stress if your wife decides she's not up to an excursion...it'll be hard to cancel on the port day w/o penalty).

"Since you were on RC, I think you can qualify for the Princess Gold standing."

RC is an entirely different company. Even going on a Carnival or Holland cruise (which is the same parent company) won't qualify you for Gold status.

Hi,

I'm not finding it right now, but if you've sailed once with any of the participating (reciprocal) companies, you can qualify. For instance, if you've sailed once with Princess, you can qualify for the discount offered Holland America's Mariner's Club. Found this info from a Holland rep a while back.

I ran across similar info on the Princess site but can't find it in a quick search this morning.

Carnival and Princess are owned by the same parent company but there are a handful of other cruise lines who will offer past cruisers on other lines a discount to get them to try their line.

I'll check later this weekend if you haven't found it by then.

Regards.

Thanks to all of you for your information, advice and care and support. I have now read the dessert thread, read all the patters and menus, and we are more and more excited to get going!

Not sure yet about excursions planned in advance, as I agree with many of you that that could add to the stress if Teresa gets tired...and there is so much to do already - plus there is always last minute things to book on board.

We will be arriving two days early in Anchorage, so may do something there most likely. Staying at the Capt Cook Inn. Anyone have experience there? It is part of the cruise pkg ...also, any more ideas on things to do in anchorage while we wait to board?

It appears departure is not til around 9:00 PM on Monday (we arrive on Sat sometime)...I am wondering if we want to board early, what time is boarding...I am used to a 5-6PM sailing ...so any knowledge there is also appreciated!

I couldn't find it online so I called Princess tonight.

If you have sailed on any of these cruise lines, they qualify as a "previous cruiser" for Princess Gold Member and hence a discount when booking:

Carnival

Holland America

Cunard

Costa

Yahts of Sea

Windstar

Princess

So, for example, if you have sailed Princess before and want to try a HAL if you mention you have cruised with Princess then HAL considers you part of their "Mariner Club."

Likewise if you've sailed HAL before and mention it when you book with Princess, you qualify for the Gold level of the Captain's Circle.

If you have sailed six or more times with one of the above lines, you might check to see if you'd be elevated to Platinum Member status. I don't know how far up they will elevate you.

Skip - there really is no early boarding for the cruises out of Whittier - you are either bussed there or take the train. It is quite a drive from Anchorage itself (not long distance wise if it were a straight line, but in Alaska NOTHING goes in a straight line! <vbg>) You meet at the Convention Center in Anchorage (it will all be explained to you at the hotel.) You leave your luggage at the hotel where it is trucked directly to the ship in Whittier - and then you go to the Convention Center or train station (depending on which transfer you booked) adn from there proceed at timed intervals to Whittier to board the ship. You have to go through the long tunnel to get to Whittier - it is a one lane tunnel that also doubles as a railroad track. Here is a link to the tunnel's website from the state of Alaska.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

If the weather is nice it is a beautiful drive, but it does make for a longer day than usual compared to embarking in Florida.

I stayed at the Captain Cook in 2004 and it was wonderful! I didn't do my pre-cruise package through Princess but booked the hotel on my own to stay there with my friends who I was meeting up with in Anchorage. I had a great room on the 18th floor with a mountain and inlet view. All of my friends were on the lower levels with not so great views. The hotel is very nice and there is no air conditioning, but there are ceiling fans in all the rooms and the windows do open to allow cool air in. Anchorage really does not get really hot and humid at all during the summer, but be prepared for the extra long days.......the sun set after 11:30 and rose at 3:30 when I was there in late July.

There are lots of restaurants within walking distance of the Captain Cook - many right across the street. Also, carriage rides are offered and it is a great way to see parts of Anchorage, especially in the evenng.

Enjoy your stay in Anchorage and enjoy the Coral Princess.........the sister ship of my favorite all time ship so far, the Island Princess!

Archived