Capris

Rotnkid49

Since I have cruised many times before, I know about what & what not to wear in the evenings. Without starting another hooplah over shorts, etc. I was just wondering since capris are so stylish this season, would they be acceptable in the dining room. The lenghth being mid way between the knee & ankle. Thanks. 15 days & counting down to the Valor 7/2

Here is my opinion, and I know some others do not share it.

I will wear nice capris (never denim) in the dining room on casual nights, like boarding day. I wear them with nice sandals (not running shoes or flip flops) and a nice top (not a tee-shirt or tank).

Just my 2 cents!!! ;)

Whether they look nice enough for the dining room is really determined by the fabric and what you wear them with. Just because they are capris, doesn't make them wrong or right for the dining room in the evening.

For example: In my opinion, a pair of "chino" or khaki type capris in cotton is not an appropriate choice - especially if paired with a tee shirt and casual shoes. However, a dressier fabric - like silk or microfiber - especially if worn with a dressier top and nice shoes - either dressy flats or a pretty sandal with heel - would be an appropriate look for the dining room.

Whether they look nice enough for the dining room is really determined by the fabric and what you wear them with. Just because they are capris, doesn't make them wrong or right for the dining room in the evening.

For example: In my opinion, a pair of "chino" or khaki type capris in cotton is not an appropriate choice - especially if paired with a tee shirt and casual shoes. However, a dressier fabric - like silk or microfiber - especially if worn with a dressier top and nice shoes - either dressy flats or a pretty sandal with heel - would be an appropriate look for the dining room.

So your's saying that I even have to "dress" up for casual nights in the dining room? I wear my chino capris on the weekend when we go out to dinner, so I'll wear them on the ship too.

Now on formal nights, no. But maybe we just won't eat in the main dining room, if it's such a bother as to what I wear.

It really does depend on the ship and where you are sailing. If you're on a mainstream line, such as Carnival, NCL, RCI you can wear capris on casual nights and feel at home. I can't speak for the other lines, as I haven't cruised with them yet.

If you dress as if you're going out for dinner you will be fine. I would wear capris out to dinner around here to a more casual venue, say a chain restaurant or neighborhood family style restaurant. But if I'm going to an upscale place, I'll kick it up a notch. I do kick it up a notch on cruise ships for dinner, but I have to say, you see a lot of people underdressed for the occasion.

I like to meet all kinds of people and get to know them, not their clothing. I've been seated with people who were in clothing I would not have worn, yet I had a great time with them all week.

You will certainly get more opinions about it on these boards than you will when you are onboard a cruise ship :) .

Since I have cruised many times before, I know about what & what not to wear in the evenings. Without starting another hooplah over shorts, etc. I was just wondering since capris are so stylish this season, would they be acceptable in the dining room. The lenghth being mid way between the knee & ankle. Thanks. 15 days & counting down to the Valor 7/2

They are? :p

Agree with Jane. I think it really depends on the fabric and how you wear them. While I personally don't care for capris, I think they look very nice in a black stretch satin with black pumps and a dressy top.

Thank you all for your input. I will be wearing evening gowns on the 2 formal nights, but feel that capris with a dressy healed sandal & nice top would be fine for the other evenings. Yes, they are in style in New York. Hope all of you enjoy your cruises. Have a great time & thanks again.

Rotnkid49,

I am by no means a cruise expert- we have been on 3 in the last 3 years, and I have worn capri's on casual night on all the cruises. Some were linen, others were dressier. I usually wear a pretty camisole set (with sweater), or last time I wore a floral print flowy georgette, umpire waisted type, top with my capri's. I always wear little slides with a heel, not flip flops.

Believe me, there were people dressed much more casually on all the cruises. RCCL has Caribbean night, so you will see most anything that night, and many wear a more casual type of capri, or skirt for that night.

Have a great cruise, don't fret over those capris!!! Enjoy.

So your's saying that I even have to "dress" up for casual nights in the dining room? I wear my chino capris on the weekend when we go out to dinner, so I'll wear them on the ship too.

Now on formal nights, no. But maybe we just won't eat in the main dining room, if it's such a bother as to what I wear.

No one is saying you "have" to do anything and there is no need to get snippy. :mad: This is a cordial board most days and the OP asked for an opinion.

I would not wear capris in the dining room at dinner as I would feel underdressed. But, I have seen dressy capri outfits that are well accessorized and they looked nice and would be appropriate for casual nights.

I dress for dinner in the evenings on a cruise and to me that would not include chino capris.

konakraft,

Please don't miss the dinning room. I personally don't care what someone else thinks of what I'm wearing. I would hate for you to miss out on the wonderful food and fun of eating in the dining room just to please someone else. It is your vacation. Think of it this way....you will (probably) never see these people again after this cruise.

To everyone else,

Please don't jump all over me. I don't mean for anyone to show up in cut off shorts, flip flops and a ratty t-shirt. I just don't get the feeling that konakraft would do that. My parents went on their first cruise in April and were dreading going to dinner due to everyone putting their "you have to look a certain way" attitudes on them. Once they got there and realized that there were people a lot less dressed up than them they found dinner time to be the most enjoyable part of their cruise. I would have hated for them to have missed out on that due to someone else making them feel bad for they way they are dressed.

No one is saying you "have" to do anything and there is no need to get snippy. :mad: This is a cordial board most days and the OP asked for an opinion.

I wan't trying to be "snippy". I guess, after reading on this particular forum, I just don't see how some comments are helpful. About half, are down-right NASTY and HURTFUL. I guess in getting into my thirties, I don't feel like my vacation should be like high school. Just because you don't feel comfortable in capris, doesn't mean I shouldn't. You have your comfort level, and I have mine. We both will still have a fantastic time, regardless of what each other is wearing, right?

Every person here on this board has a varying opinion on just the right dress (or in this case, capri) should be when you step into the public areas of the ship. There is not ONE "set in stone" dress code, from what I can tell. I'll wear my khaki capris on casual night, probably with sandals, and a nice shirt, on semi-formal night I'll wear a skirt, and I will end up buying at least two formal dresses, one short and one long. The only person who's opinion matters when it comes to what I'm wearing is my husband.

beancounterbeth -- it's a shame that we're not cruising on the same trip, cause it sounds like we'd make great ship-buddies !! Thank you for your kind words, and believe me, I will not let other people bother me on our cruise !! :D

Why is it that when someone asks a question and of course there are going to be varying answers, it inevitably ends up with harsh words. WHAT A SHAME!!! This is why it is far more fun to lurk than to ask a simple question. I wasnt looking for cruisers to "agree" or "disagree" with what I plan on wearing on MY vacation, but just some friendly opinions.

Beancounterbeth & Konakraft, thanks for your kind words.

Have a great cruise all!!!

We went on Liberty this past February. You can wear capris to the dining room. It isn't like you were wearing a halter top with it. Wear a nice shirt and pretty shoes or sandals. I love capris. They are very casual and dressy. Some people don't like capris. It is like everything. You can't be 5feet tall and wear them. It looks like you are wearing pants. Don't miss the dining room. We have a great time in there. I saw a lot of people wearing the long pants (usually black chiffon or silk) with the black material down the middle. Sorry not explaining it very well. It could look like a skirt but not. They are so comfortable and look so dressy. I have a couple pairs of them. One even has the black small beads on them. Very elegant. You can dress up as much as you want or not. Go have a great time. We love cruising and ignore the idiots. Looking to the next 2 cruises we have booked. Can't wait. Have fun.

I have worn some very lovely capri's in the dining room (nice tops/sweater sets/shoes, etc.) (also was RCCL) I love the way they look, but lately have seen a lot of the cropped pants which (to me anyway) make a lot of people look as if they are going wading and don't want to get their feet wet. I did try a pair and DH announced that the style makes me look like bozo the clown (and I don't have big feet either.) - oh to be 20 again!

On my first cruise last year I wore formal attire on the first formal night, the second one I skipped because I'd had my hair braided and my face and scalp were burnt to a crisp, just didn't look good with my other formal gown ! LOL !!! The rest of the time tho I wore capri's, and a few little sun dresses. Different, fabrics, styles, accessories of course. Not once did I ever look or feel out of place or under dressed. Casual nights in the dining room were filled with people in all kinds of clothing stlyes, alot of capri sets. I think it's mostly about using good taste, being clean and well put together. I do believe formal nights are pretty self explainatory and should be respected as such. I also believe casual nights should be regarded as "casual" as well. Casual for one may not be casual for another. For myself, I do the best I can with my resources and have the time of my life doing it !!! I don't set out to offend anyone but if someone is offended, that is on them, that's their stuff, not mine.

Archived