Freedom of the Seas Maiden Voyage (Disapointment) from Harry

Well, you will be missing out then.

I've yet to hear a single complaint resulting from our stop in Montego Bay. There were nearly 5000 people glowing with joy after our stop there on the inaugural (passengers and crew alike). As I told friends on the ship as we pulled away from MoBay: No more unanswered Jamaica-bashing on MY watch! :)

Tracy

Good for you Tracy. We spent a whole week in MoBay during Spring Break and had a wonderful time. It is really sad when places get an undeserved reputation that doesn't even come close to matching reality. :( Those who remain on the ship when it visits MoBay because of its perceived shortcomings, will really miss out on a great time. We are looking forward to taking our kids and grandkids to Doctors Cave Beach when we stop in Montego Bay on the Freedom in October:).

Oh Nancy....NO WAY!!! When did you book?

After seeing my pictures yesterday, my brother and his family have decided to come along in December too!

Can't believe we are going to miss each other by a week!!

T

We booked the Freedom 12/10/06 while we were on the Mariner last December. At the same time we also booked the Mariner for August, but, that was the cruise reservation we transfered to the Maiden Voyage just one month before we sailed! We just could not wait until December to sail on her!

We are sailing with friends in December, so we can't change the date. They went through hell to get a balcony cabin on that sailing. They were a little disappointed that we were going to have already experienced the ship before we sailed on her with them ... but we just couldn't wait!!

Unfortunately, the husband was scheduled to have major back surgery in Germany the same week as the Maiden Voyage. What rotten friends we are: we will have to make it up to them in December!!!!!!!!

Good for you Tracy. We spent a whole week in MoBay during Spring Break and had a wonderful time. It is really sad when places get an undeserved reputation that doesn't even come close to matching reality. :( Those who remain on the ship when it visits MoBay because of its perceived shortcomings, will really miss out on a great time. We are looking forward to taking our kids and grandkids to Doctors Cave Beach when we stop in Montego Bay on the Freedom in October:).

Good for you both. You can have it. The big turn-off for me was the rude locals with the attitude you owed them something. Maybe it was a bad day on the island or maybe it was just me. I couldn't find the beauty of this island except when the ship pulled away. Of course we docked at Ocho Rios and that is all I experienced but it was enough to know I don't want to go back. I wish I could stick my nose in a sewer and smell roses but I can't.

Good for you both. You can have it. The big turn-off for me was the rude locals with the attitude you owed them something .

I've been to Jamaica four times now and never experienced this, although I have heard others talk of it. Maybe people get back what they put out. Sure, there are some enthusiastic 'vendors'...but a genuine smile, some eye-contact, and a "no thanks, but have a great day, mon" have always been met with a smile in return. :)

Of course we docked at Ocho Rios and that is all I experienced but it was enough to know I don't want to go back. I wish I could stick my nose in a sewer and smell roses but I can't.

Can't imagine why you felt rudeness coming from the locals in Jamaica, when you think their country can be equated to a sewer? :confused:

That's okay though, everyone is entitled to their opinions....just means more room for me! I've found that Jamaica is one of the happiest, friendliest places on earth if you enter with a willing spirit.

It's funny....my first time to Ocho Rios was in the early 90's and it was VERY different than it is now. They've done a lot of work to make it more tourist-friendly, and it seems to get more of a bad rap now than ever. If anything, I liked it even better when it was rougher around the edges, but that's just me.

Tracy

(an unapologetic Jamaica-defender!!)

I didn't read all the posts here so I am sorry if what I say is a duplication (gotta get back to unpacking)...

We were going to stay on the ship in Jamaica because of all we heard. We wound up taking a CC suggestion and we went to Sunset Beach (AI) and loved it. It was 40 bucks pp and it included all drinks (liquor), food, chairs, snorkling and other water sports equipment. Even had a little set up of vendors. The security at this place was great and so you were protected from overzealous vendors etc.

When we got back to the ship we heard nothing but complaints from people. My take on this was that those who didn't have plans like us, or canopy tours, Dunns River Falls etc, and just wandered around were very put off and understandably scared by the aggressiveness of the many of the people they encountered. This is totally understandable. AAMOF, we had a wonderful taxi driver, Chester (I have his card he mentioned CC to us) who picked us up after the beach, gave us some history, and drove us for the hour we had left downtown to do a little shopping. HE is a local and even he said the people there are very aggressive. He was great and let us keep our stuff in his car. He waited outside the store for us that he took us too where they were not aggressive at all, and then took us to a small craft type area and guided us to certain vendors (I don't care if he got a kick-back it was worth it). And if anyone came up to us that was unsavory or aggressive he would shoo them away. In the car going back to port, people would come right up to the car (which was locked and windows closed) and beg us to buy their things. It would have been scarey if we were not with our chester!! lol

So we had a fabulous time in Jamaica, but we were lucky, did a lot of research and lucked out with this guy Chester. But I can understand why, if you don't have a plan it can be kind of scarey. We loved it so much though that we are thinking about staying at Sunset beach for a week sometime.

Regards

I didn't read all the posts here so I am sorry if what I say is a duplication (gotta get back to unpacking)...

We were going to stay on the ship in Jamaica because of all we heard. We wound up taking a CC suggestion and we went to Sunset Beach (AI) and loved it. It was 40 bucks pp and it included all drinks (liquor), food, chairs, snorkling and other water sports equipment. Even had a little set up of vendors. The security at this place was great and so you were protected from overzealous vendors etc.

When we got back to the ship we heard nothing but complaints from people. My take on this was that those who didn't have plans like us, or canopy tours, Dunns River Falls etc, and just wandered around were very put off and understandably scared by the aggressiveness of the many of the people they encountered. This is totally understandable. AAMOF, we had a wonderful taxi driver, Chester (I have his card he mentioned CC to us) who picked us up after the beach, gave us some history, and drove us for the hour we had left downtown to do a little shopping. HE is a local and even he said the people there are very aggressive. He was great and let us keep our stuff in his car. He waited outside the store for us that he took us too where they were not aggressive at all, and then took us to a small craft type area and guided us to certain vendors (I don't care if he got a kick-back it was worth it). And if anyone came up to us that was unsavory or aggressive he would shoo them away. In the car going back to port, people would come right up to the car (which was locked and windows closed) and beg us to buy their things. It would have been scarey if we were not with our chester!! lol

So we had a fabulous time in Jamaica, but we were lucky, did a lot of research and lucked out with this guy Chester. But I can understand why, if you don't have a plan it can be kind of scarey. We loved it so much though that we are thinking about staying at Sunset beach for a week sometime.

Regards

My experience had a lot to do with my planned Eastern Caribbean cruise getting changed to a Western Caribbean route due to Hurricane Rita. Maybe if I had more time to prepare an excursion, maybe it could have been better.

So we had a fabulous time in Jamaica, but we were lucky, did a lot of research and lucked out with this guy Chester.

Bec,

Thanks for chiming in and shedding light on "both sides" of the Jamaica discussion. One thing I'll add....I am not sure finding Chester was a matter of "lucking out". For every one pushy local, there are multiple Chesters in Jamaica! For the most part, they are absolutely warm, generous, and fun people.

Ya mon!!

Tracy

I'm hoping someone can help me - I'm getting ready to book on Freedom for 2007 and am trying to find out where the category I cabins are located. I haven't be been able to find a ship layout on the RCI Website - am I not looking in the right place? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Archived