Princess Coffee

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Whats wrong with Princess Coffee,

Always go for a Coffee Card, watch the staff making my coffee,

Nice Cup of Java.

So why is everyone moaning about the coffee.

yours Shogun

Coffee is fine in the dining room...it's the coffee in the Horizon Court that needs to be brewed instead of made from concentrate. We were on a Carnival cruise last weekend for the first time in over four years and the coffee was good in the buffet and the dining room!

We liked it too, but I'd disagree with Twaincruisers - we thought the coffee in the Horizon Court (on the Caribbean Princess) was great and the coffee in the dining room was weak. But I still drank at least one cup at every single meal the entire week! Kellie in Texas

Hi Folks,

Whats wrong with Princess Coffee,

Always go for a Coffee Card, watch the staff making my coffee,

Nice Cup of Java.

So why is everyone moaning about the coffee.

yours Shogun

Coffee card????

Coffee card????

As I remember I think it was 20 coffee drinks for $30 plus gratuity and was good for all the cappichino, mochas, etc... They punch the card when you order a drink.... and sometimes in the dining room they "forgot" to punch it. We have some punches left, so wonder if it will be good on our next cruise because it was not dated nor did it indicate the ship or cruise.

If there wasn't something wrong with Princess' coffee why are there so many comments here. It is made from a syrup that means it is not brewed but mixed. The taste is like Postum or some cereal based grain that has a coffee like flavor . It isn't chickory like New Orleans coffee. It is so bad that many people like myself bring their own coffee pots and coffee on a cruise. It is so bad that on the Sun last year the head chef said it was terrible and is the major complaint he receives. Our waiter, when he found that we had a pot, asked if he could have it when the cruise ended. (since we were traveling in New Zealand, we were happy to give it away. This isn't a discussion comparing Folgers to Starbucks to McDonalds, etc but the fact that if you want a decent cup you have to go to a special place and buy it. It is lousy in the dining room, from room service and in the buffet. Even the coffee served in the specialty restaurants is the same stuff.

Look back thru the pages here and see how many discussions are about the coffee. Princess just doesn't care!

I have no idea why so many people are crabbing about the Princess coffee. I love coffee and have been drinking it black, no sugar, for over 50 years. I think it's just fine and have no plans to pay extra for specially-brewed coffee.

I have never cruised but have already learned of the coffee woes on Princess. We have bought a 4 cup brewer for the trip and will bring our own brand to brew. We love Eight O'clock brand coffee. Better safe than sorry when it comes to my coffee fix.

I didnt like the coffee at all on Princess....Dh said he liked it....I found it left a terrible after taste ....I brought my own 2 carafe maker but wont do that again....too much of a hassle...but I will bring those little tea bag like coffee bags and make my own in the HC in the morning.

We just returned from a cruise and the coffee is different. It was much better than in the past and we didn't need to use the coffee bags we brought. I know it was still made from syrup but they have apparently changed brands or the mix formula. It did not have that weird aroma so I know it was different. It seemed a little on the weak side but it was not a weaker version of the same stuff. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was to discover this. It pretty much tastes like coffee you would get anywhere except those places that specialize in coffee.

Is it available now on all ships? What is it like...has to be better than that muck they serve now.....Come to think of it maybe they serve that stuff so people will pay to upgrade to a good cup of coffee-I would. If they have it on the Star by Dec. it may save us bringing or drip or french press.

I'm not a coffee drinker so maybe I shouldn't comment...but I will. My stepdad and daughter both drink coffee and I warned them after reviewing multiple posts here, that the Princess coffee did not have a good reputation. They both thought I must have misread the posts, they enjoyed every cup. :)

I guess it is just a matter of taste, pun intended;)

I also was wondering about the differences in the coffee in the dining room and the buffet. This is what I was told by a reliable source while on my private galley tour - the coffee is made exactly the same in the dining room as it is in the buffet. I said, "Really, I think the buffet has very strong coffee, but the dining room seems much milder." It is made the same way. That's the facts.

We have bought a 4 cup brewer for the trip and will bring our own brand to brew.

We take our little 4-cupper with us as well as home ground coffee (it's a cuisinart with a stainless steel carafe - no glass to break). We don't regret it. Your steward will do a full set-up with cups, saucers, creamer, sugar, etc.... if you ask them to do so.

The restaurant and "coffee bar" coffee on Princess is fine. It's the buffet and room service coffee that sucks. The latter to me is acidic, tastes old, and has an odd aftertaste. That's why we have our own coffee maker for the trips - as the first cup in the morning is very important to us and we don't want to have to go out of the room to get good coffee.

Heck, if you like the coffee on Princess - great. No harm no foul. I recognize tastes in coffee vary and that not everyone will be pleased no matter what Princess does. But, like it's been mentioned, there's something going on when time and time again the issue of Princess coffee quality comes up.

Bill

On 3 separate occasions today I called to speak with the representatives at Princess and each of them said that there was no coffee program or card for any of their ships.:mad:

Can anyone please confirm or deny the coffee program and if it is only available on a specific or certain ships.

I agree that coffee is not a Princess strong point and I'm thankful that it is one of the few things on my complaint list. Princess does a lot of things right -- or we would not continually cruise with them. Put a Starbucks on the ships as an extra cost option. Another $50 for coffee over the cost of the cruise will not kill us.

Let me ask you this;

Would I BOTHER to bring a coffee maker and coffee on board if the coffee on board was not bad?

We all have our own tastes, some people will drink coffee from vending machines (ewwwww) however, this NY girl wants her Tim Hortons!!!

I agree that coffee is not a Princess strong point and I'm thankful that it is one of the few things on my complaint list. Princess does a lot of things right -- or we would not continually cruise with them. Put a Starbucks on the ships as an extra cost option. Another $50 for coffee over the cost of the cruise will not kill us.

Not a starbucks please. i can't stand their coffee. How about a Coffee Beanery? Actually I liked the coffee. I got it everymorning for roomservice and sometimes ordered another pot! There's nothing like sipping coffee on your balcony in the early morning.

Put a Starbucks on the ships as an extra cost option. Another $50 for coffee over the cost of the cruise will not kill us.
You are kidding, right? The absolute worst coffee I've ever had was from Starbucks. It was sludge. I had to dump it out in the street -- even the smell made me nauseous. Why on earth would I want to pay another $50 for what I consider perfectly good coffee?

Archived