Any "must sees" in Montevideo?

franu

We will be in Montevideo for 2 separate days on our cruise. There is a day in BA in between. The ship has either a 3 1/2 hr tour of city highlights or a day at an estancia. Are there any places that we shouldn't miss seeing?

Fran

We only had a quick city tour in Montevideo before heading out to Punta del Este. I liked what I saw of Montevideo, but looking at our photos last night, I cannot come up with any "must sees" there. Perhaps, others who have spent a longer time in Montevideo will post suggestions. Sorry!

We took a 3 hour private city tour in a car with a driver. He took us to see the beach areas and nicer homes, then drove through the center of town past some lovely parks. He told us a lot about the history, etc. as well.

After he took us back to the ship, we took a free leather shop shuttle bus back to the downtown area, and walked from the shop back to the main street through town and just walked through the parks. We needed the exercise, and had a good time. Walked back to the leather shop, got the shuttle back to the ship with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

In Dec we took a ship's tour (had to use up some credits) around the town and enjoyed it. the President's monument and the Legislature Bldg were very nice, and different. After lunch on the ship, we walked back into the town and since it was a Sat, we enjoyed all the activity at the squares: art sales, crafts, antiques, etc. People watching was great - especially at the "market" altho I think we were 'lost' as it was more restaurant, internet cafe, etc, but live music, etc.

Hope you enjoy your trip - I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

I lived in Buenos Aires for a number of years (while attached to the embassy) and made countless trips to Montevideo. If it's warm while you are tere - rent a car and drive up to Punta del Este - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (it's a two hour drive). Montevideo is great for walking around and seeing the old downtown area or walking along the Rambla (alongside the ocean).

Yes, we were within 'walking' distance. It is a long walk if you go all the way to the monument, but if you only want to go to the squares with the 'antiques', it is okay. In fact it was NECESSARY, after all that wonderful food! I also love seeing the different arcitecture - especially the doors. One set was over 10 ft tall ( I wanted to take a picture and a local cop stopped the cars so I could - nice!)

We took a 3 hour private city tour in a car with a driver. He took us to see the beach areas and nicer homes, then drove through the center of town past some lovely parks. He told us a lot about the history, etc. as well.

After he took us back to the ship, we took a free leather shop shuttle bus back to the downtown area, and walked from the shop back to the main street through town and just walked through the parks. We needed the exercise, and had a good time. Walked back to the leather shop, got the shuttle back to the ship with no problems.

Do you have any driver recommendations for tours there?

Claudia (the name of my former Argentine wife -- I love that name!):

I'll see if I can reach my friend (who works in the US Embassy in Montevideo) for a driver recommendation. Personally, I don't think you need one. Montevideo is NOT Buenos Aires - it's tiny with most of the downtown area walkable from the port. You could easily walk the downtown area - hire a taxi to take you along the Rambla (the road that goes along the ocean) and within an hour you will have seen most of what you should see. I still think anyone going to Montevideo - who hasn't been to Punta del Este - should go.

Thank you to all who answered my post. I love markets and old architecture. I am sure that this will amuse us for a large portion of the time that we will be in Montevideo.

Not being a great lover of beaches, please tell me what I would see if I go to

Punta del Este. I get the impression, especially from palermo22 that this beach is special and I shouldn't miss it. We will be a party of 4. I must sell it to the others, so please help me.

Thanks for everything

Fran

If you're not a beach lover then you may not appreciate it. First, you need to be there when things are happening (December thru February) - you need to appreciate "bodies on the beach" - you will see spectacular homes - all wrapped up in what is considered a very small town. But if beaches don't do anything for you then it would be a wasted trip.

Franu:

I was interested in Punta del Este based on Palermo 22's input until I read the fine print in HAL's tour brochure.

"Please note: This tour is designed for sightseeing from the motor-coach, but includes a few stops for photos only."

Driving85 miles to look at a beach, no matter how beautiful, through a bus window is not my cup af tea. Better check your tour listing closely

to see what the tour actually entails.

Jim

Palermo 22, I am very pleased by your open hearted sharing of the places that you have been to and know well. You are the essence of what this board is all about. I hope that I didn't offend you. Those who know me, understand that I talk straight and say what I mean. I am passionate about things that I really enjoy and so thrilled by the information that I garner on these boards.

People that know me often quote my favorite saying " That's why we have chocolate and vanilla".

Muchas gracias

Fran

• 1 month later...

Palermo,

Thank you for all the wonderful information on Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Am fine tuning the excursions we will take and will be arranging to go to Iguacu Falls after dis-embarking in Rio. In Buenos Aires we plan to take a day trip to an Estancia. On the other day in port we will probably walk around La Boca, Sam Telmo and Palermo. Saving the best for the last we will watch tango during the evening. Being Chinese we will pass on visiting cemeteries. We passed on the famous one in Paris but there again we did visit Napoleon's and we always ended up going to the mausoleums beneath the various famous Cathedrals since we were in the area as it were.

Regarding Montevideo, I understand there is an area where one can find all the fine homes; are they along the waterfront? An alternative to driving to Punta del Este is to take the bus there. According to Frommer's there is a bus service that takes you there, $15 round trip and about two hours each way. We will be there in early November before the height of the tourist season so probably there is not too much to see. As an alternative to the bus we could probably try to get a group together and take a cab. Not partial to driving in foreign countries.

That's about all we have on our Montevideo agenda. Perhaps you can advise us further. We dock at 8.00am and leave at 6.00pm so more like 9.30am and 5.00pm of real time.

Appreciate All The Info, As I Live In Marbella,spain And Phuket,thailand, Have My Fill Of Beaches, Though Punta Sounds An Interesting Stop As Montevideo Seems Covered In An Hour.

Is There No Other Alternative For A Days Excursion?

Again, Multissimas Gracias For Your Excellent Feedback On Sa.

Amsterdam>xmas 0/4 Antarctica

Was this a taxi from the port or a pre-arranged driver ( if so can you remember the name or email address?) Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Franu:

I was interested in Punta del Este based on Palermo 22's input until I read the fine print in HAL's tour brochure.

"Please note: This tour is designed for sightseeing from the motor-coach, but includes a few stops for photos only."

Driving85 miles to look at a beach, no matter how beautiful, through a bus window is not my cup af tea. Better check your tour listing closely

to see what the tour actually entails.

Jim[/QUOT

We just did this tour and it was no more then a few picture stops and lunch at a restaurant on the beach. Way to long on a bus. I live in California and our beaches were much nicer then anything I saw there.

FRANU.....If you like architecture, I would recommend a trip to Colonia Del Sacramento. You said there were four of you and hiring a driver should not be more than 50 - 70 $$'s each. The drive is about two hours on good roads (each way) and way more interesting than Punta del Este.

jasl, I must be having a tunnel vision of the brain. We looked at visiting Colonia from Buenos Aires and found that the time did not suit our ship's schedule. If it is only two hours by road from Montevideo, it bears some looking into. Our traveling companions have some family in Montevideo and I am not sure how that will impact on us. Thanks for the tip and the opportunity to use our brains.

Archived