Need help finding a small child friendly cruise

gonersgirl

We're considering cruising with 2 other couples next July and we're all considering taking our children.

I'm just starting to research which cruise line and/or specific cruise might be the best way to go. The children would be 4, a little over 2, 19 months, and 1 year old.

DH and I cruised on Carnival Valor this past September and loved it, but I don't know how appropriate the line would be for the youngest children.

Is Disney really the only way to go?

Thanks!

It depends on what the parents want from the cruise. There are no organized programs for those under age two on cruise ships, so the one's with the infants won't have much say in the matter. Carnival will take kids age two and older and most other lines have a minimum age of three for their kid's programs.

I'd say in this case look long and hard at Disney. They have programs for smaller children. I've also read that NCL has a prgram that charges less for smaller children, but that may be a big bad rumor.

If you end up on RCI the in cabin babysitting is fantastic. We loved our sitter.

Children on NCL are charged the regular 3rd and 4th, etc. passenger rate. And, they don't allow children under the age of 2 in their Kid Crew. We waited to go on a cruise with our kids until our youngest was 2 for that very reason. We cruised on NCL Dawn last year and we loved it so much that we just booked it again for next summer.

And none of the lines allow swim diapers in the pools so, unless your kids are all potty trained, they will not be able to swim.

This is wrong. And since you work in the travel business, let me give you the correct info. Disney Cruise Lines DOES allow swim diapers in the toddler pool (Mickey's Left ear at the Mickey Pool).

Do I think Disney is the only way to go...no, not at all. You can take an inflatable blow up pool on the other cruise lines.

RCCL has a fisher price aqua tots program for the parents to stay and play with the kids 2 and under. Disney has a nursery for the toddler and infant crowd.

This is wrong. And since you work in the travel business, let me give you the correct info. Disney Cruise Lines DOES allow swim diapers in the toddler pool (Mickey's Left ear at the Mickey Pool).

It is a CDC regulation, actually. If DCL allows it, that is surprising and troubling:mad:.

Ok, I just did a search on Disney's website and it does say that swim diapers ARE NOT allowed in any pool. They are only allowed in the fountain area outside of the pool, per a U.S. health regulation. Hope that clarifies any rumors...

It's not a rumor...I was actually there. Mickey's left ear at Mickey's pool IS for toddlers/infants wearing swim diapers.

Here is the exact wording from Disney Cruise Line's site....

splash away in this really fun place with Mickey's face!

Young children, who are not toilet trained, are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool that has been designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.

And just to further prove it...here is an actual picture of my own daughter in that part of Mickey's pool. :eek: They call the area a "fountain area" but it is still at the Mickey Pool. It is always crowded with parents and babies since the area is so small...but it DOES exist. I guess it's the wording that is so confusing...they say it's off the pool area...but it is actually attached to the pool, because it's his ear. And I guess since there isn't water laying around in there...just a thin layer that drains quickly, it doesn't go against the CDC.

Gab.jpg.2ef7823ab7344da26193748c2d9e75e8.jpg

And none of the lines allow swim diapers in the pools so, unless your kids are all potty trained, they will not be able to swim.

Hi -

Some of the Princess ships have kiddie pools that allow swim diapers - the Sapphire and the Diamond for sure. You can see on the deck plans the small pool (it's about the size of a huge bath tub) outside the kids area. It has a slide and we brought a beach ball - my girls loved it.

Princess Kids club though has a minimum age of 3, but you can bring younger children to play, you just can't leave them there.

Best,

Mia

Hi -

Some of the Princess ships have kiddie pools that allow swim diapers - the Sapphire and the Diamond for sure. You can see on the deck plans the small pool (it's about the size of a huge bath tub) outside the kids area. It has a slide and we brought a beach ball - my girls loved it.

Princess Kids club though has a minimum age of 3' date=' but you can bring younger children to play, you just can't leave them there.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I just checked the princess site and they are calling it a "toddler splash pool." So you are probably right as well.

To clear up the confusion - it is a CDC reg with no swim diapers in the pools. Now if the ship has a small splash pool that they maintain for the swim-diaper set, and they follow regulations as to the use, maintenance and cleaning of this particular pool, they can allow this use. I am not certain of the precise regulations but the water needs to be completely drained at a specific interval and very specific processes to clean and sanitize the pool and filter equipment must be followed.

Many folks do choose to bring a small inflatable pool with them. Think small! Some will put it on their balconey others will put it up in an out of the way spot on deck. I've seen it and it's OK! When scoping out the "where to put it" find someplace relatively near a drain on deck. Bring a small collapsable pitcher or something to help you fill and drain it. Most babies/toddlers need very little water to keep them occupied. So at most a few scoops out should get you to the point where you can easily dump the remainder. Be open minded and very aware of those folks around you.

We've done an RCCI with our BIL and his family (included a then 18MO). They enjoyed the Fisher-Price playtimes and did use the in room sitting. With a larger group, you could do some tag-team sitting.

Cruising with infants and toddlers can be fun, but be certain that everyone in your group understands that cruising with kids is different than cruising as couples. Setting your expectations to a different kind of enjoyment is the key.

Archived