SEATTLE 4 hour layover suggestions??

We're flying into Seattle en route to Anchorage. We arrive American Airlines at 10:49 a.m. and depart Alaska Air at 2:38 on a Wednesday (Aug 23). We were wondering about the feasibility of going to Pike Market to walk around some and eat lunch. A recommendation has been Ray's Boathouse. We'd be open to other recs and would appreciate transportation suggestions as well. We will travel mass transit or will hail a cab; any food (except sushi) is good but we'll have on travel clothes; want a good Seattle lunch (no chains); and definitely will want to stretch our legs.

This begins a cruise for my husband's 50th birthday, so we want a good start! Thanks for any help you can give - can't wait to see Seattle.

Personally I don't think I would do it, you just never know about traffic and delays getting through security at the airport. There are new restaurants that have recently opened at the airport that you could go and have a nice meal without the stress of trying to get to and from the airport.

But if you do choose to go to Pike Place Market - Seatac is located about 20 - 30 minutes from downtown Seattle. I would catch a cab to and from.

Ray's Boathouse is even farther than downtown. From the airport about 30-45 minutes and once again that really depends on our traffic, it could take longer.

Good Luck!

I don't think I would recommend it either. 4 hours just isn't enough time. by the time you get off the plane and to the taxi ranks it could be around 11:15 - 11:30 and then you would need to be back in plenty of time to deal with the security lines at SeaTac which can take a long time on any given day. And Seattle traffic could be a factor too. It's heavy on most days even at offpeak times. You'd only have a couple of hours for a look around and maybe a hurried lunch. Ray's Boathouse would be too far to try to get to in such a short period of time.

As the other poster said SeaTac has some very nice restaurants and shopping areas to kill time.

OK - I was already skittish, so we'll move to plan B.

Not a big shopper, would rather see a place of interest in Seattle & eat a good meal from a Seattle restaurant (no chain). Would prefer to leave the airport, but you've convinced me we need to stay closer.

Any suggestions?

If it were me, I'd eat at Anthony's, which is a chain but a local one that specializes in seafood and is very good, definitely a cut above like an Olive Garden or TGI Fridays or whatever. They have a sit-down and a take-out place at the airport in the new food court area. Try the fish tacos, they're really good. There's also one in Des Moines which isn't too far from the airport if you want to get out of the airport--it's in the Des Moines marina. Here's a link to Anthony's website: http://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/info/desmoines.html

For shopping, the nearest mall is Southcenter, which is about a 5-10-minute drive away from SeaTac, but it's really just a mall, again, nothing Seattle-specific. They might have a Made in Washington store but beyond that there's not really anything there that you can't find at home (Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.).

I agree with calikak on Anthony's, it is actually one of my favorites. Good prices and tastey food. The crab and artichoke dip is very good, not sure what is on their lunch menu??

One thing to remember when you get back to the security lines at Seatac, they all go to the same area. I would still allow a min. of one hour, we always get to the airport approx. 2 hours before our flights and don't have problems. Since you don't have to check in luggage, you can go directly to the security lines.

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks much for Anthony's rec. If flight's late arriving, etc. we can eat in airport or if plane's on time, we have the option of running to Anthony. I am frustrated that I won't be able to see more of Seattle, but I guess that's another tirp

I don't think you have time for Anthony's at Pier 66. 13 Coins is a great local restaurant and there is one across the street from the airport - http://www.13coins.com/

Get a cab from the airport to take you over there. Cabs are available on the fourth floor of the parking garage, very easy to find.

Thanks for the tip. Would you recommend 13 coins over Anthony's-DesMoines? We arrive 10:49, don't have to claim luggage, and depart again 2:38. I thought getting out of the airport & relaxing on the Sound sounded good (depending on weather and arrival times, of course).

• 3 weeks later...

We ate at Anthony's at the Marina in Des Moines before catching our 10:00 pm flights. It was the best restaurant meal we had on the whole trip. We also ate at Ray's but liked Anthony's better. From the restaurant it was a 10 minute drive to the airport. Very convenient.

I would also recommend Anthony's over 13 Coins. Perhaps 13 Coins only if you're inbound flight was late and you just feel a strong need to get out of the airport for a little bit and don't have time to get away. Although it's a local chain, we've never had a bad meal at any of the Anthony's. Next time, you'll need to schedule a layover in Seattle of at least 2 days so you can partake in some of our outstanding cuisine!

Archived