Alaska Bear Adventure - Ketchikan

firstcruise2006

I never recommend these bear tours that don't identify where they go. You are FAR better off, going to Anan or Traitor's Cove independent.

Timing is everything, Anan is peak mid July - mid August, Traitor's Cove August into Beg of Sept. Independent venders I have used http://www.islandwings.com http://www.southeastaviation.com see what they have available.

Don't know what the excursions are this year but in '03 we booked thru Princess a bear watch out of Ketchican. You flew in a bush pilot plane to a very romote fish hachery. This was the end of July. It was wonderful......the highlight of my trip. The salmon were running and the bears came out of the woods to the stream right in front of you to catch their fish! You weren't in any danger because the bears didn't want you, they wanted the salmon!...and who could blame them! lol

Don't know what the excursions are this year but in '03 we booked thru Princess a bear watch out of Ketchican. You flew in a bush pilot plane to a very romote fish hachery. This was the end of July. It was wonderful......the highlight of my trip. The salmon were running and the bears came out of the woods to the stream right in front of you to catch their fish! You weren't in any danger because the bears didn't want you, they wanted the salmon!...and who could blame them! lol

That would have been Neets Bay.

That's right................Neets Bay!

I believe this is the same tour that I took on the September 2000 Alaska Sea Princess cruise. We took a sea plane to a remote salmon hatchery and watched about a dozen bears catch and eat the salmon. One bear climbed out of the river and caught a fish right out of the hatchery tanks. We also saw a mother and two cubs. On the way back, the pilot let my husband sit in the co-pilot seat. This tour was well worth the money IMO.

Archived