underage teens drink alcohol

stitch78

It clearly states in CCL's policies that NO ONE under the age of 21 will be served alcohol. If this is their policy and they did in fact serve the minors then I think that those drinks should not be charged to the account. The Carnival employees should be held responsible for serving minors. They have broken the law. We have booked our family vacation this summer with two teen-age kids who I hope will NOT be served alcohol. Our kids know that drinking is an adult privilage and at the age of 21 if they choose to drink than that is their choice as an adult.

We watched - the teens ordered it, not the parents. The teens were at a dinner table to the left of us and the parents were to the right. We were in the middle. I guess due to dining room set up they couldn't sit them next to each other .

AA here comes new members. It's their problem to drink or not. Alcohol is not the problem (the devil, evil) it's the abuse of alcohol. Everything in moderation from a Christian who loves her glass (or 2) of wine everyday.

;)

cotton, they were wondering, during that thread, when you and a few others were going to show up :D

it got pulled, but got like almost a 100 responses in a VERY short time, hehe

her post ended with her giving out advice to get early flights (we are talking like before 10am) - it was strange, to say least :eek:

IrishDolphin is exactly correct because it was myself who posted wondering where Cotton and GoinCrusin were while this brohaha was going on. It lasted maybe only a little over an hour before going "poof". The funnel deck was very crowded that night with people eating popcorn and drinking!! ;)

Actually, I was just horrified to learn that a family that is very close to my sister recently returned from a CC cruise with their teenaged children with a bar tab that was over $1000 more than the parents expected it to be. These parents did not condone drinking and did not order alcoholic drinks for their children. When they questioned the bill, they were told that it appeared accurate. Finally, after their father embarrassingly tried to fight a legitimate bill, 2 of the kids admitted that they had indeed been drinking at the bars on their own. Apparently they were not asked for ID and the charges were put on their S & S cards. These boys are 16 and 17 years of age. Now, I argued with my sister about the fact that they were even in the bars at all (teenaged discipline is something we don't see eye to eye on), but they were served without any questions without any parental consent.

The parents are making the kids pay them back with their allowance and part time job income, but this obviously shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I just got off a CC ship and have 2 children. They each got their own sail and sign cards. The lady at the check in desk asked me and my husband if we wanted our children to be able to buy anything using the sail and sign card? We said NO! We told our children if they needed to buy anything to let us know. Most of the time it's junk they want to buy. They had their own sail and sign cards to get off the ship and back on. My ship had 3 pools and each pool had a security guard at or near the outdoor bar. He was watching each person order a drink and watching the pool area and the area around the pool for drunkenness. As far as I could tell, there were no teens drinking alcohol. When I was 21 I looked 15 so maybe the teens you saw were over 21. I'm 40 now and still get carded at the store for alcohol purchases. I look young and don't go in the sun so I don't have wrinkles or gray hair.

Now, the crew on the ships are from foreign countries that allow drinking at any age. You have to understand USA has a over 21 for drinking. Mexico is over 18 and France is over 16 but younger with a adult.

I don't want my kids drinking young but then I don't want them to abuse alcohol either when they are 21 or 31. It's the abuse of alcohol that hurts not the age.:o

We've been on two carnival cruises and have never seen teenagers drinking. My son was never allowed to buy alcohol on the ship. The ports are a different story as I never saw anyone carded.

I have never seen teens getting served drinks ever on a ship

Stitch is the one, a few days back, that started that thread about how cruise critic members were to blame that she spent money/time from following their "bad" advice against getting a 9:30am flight on day of debarkation. She spewed venom and I think that yst was just trying to be diplomatic, perhaps? That thread was pulled and here again, inflammatory remarks without a review or any examples of a piss poor vacation. So, I guess that ignore button has a use afterall. You are now wasting our valuable time. :rolleyes:

Where was Don's "No Trolling" sign?? :confused:

I have seen kids that looked underage being served drinks at the captains cocktail party. They may have been of age, I don't know but I doubt it. I do know that under 21's cannot book their own passage on a Carnival ship.

Carnival has a good system. I've never heard of anyone under 21 being able to buy drinks with their S&S card. If they were then I can see an issue with the cruiseline. Otherwise it's time for the parents/guardians to suck it up and accept responsibility for their kids bad behavior.

Whilst conducting my rather extensive research into the relative values of methods of purchasing DOTDs, I saw youngish looking people carded continuously.

Not only is the S&S card age coded, it also has your picture embedded. If kids were able to buy drinks, it is because of employees not doing their jobs, it has nothing to do with Carnival policy.

trolls.gif

Whilst conducting my rather extensive research into the relative values of methods of purchasing DOTDs, I saw youngish looking people carded continuously.

Not only is the S&S card age coded, it also has your picture embedded. If kids were able to buy drinks, it is because of employees not doing their jobs, it has nothing to do with Carnival policy.

trolls.gif

DOH!! I stand corrected: it's "Don't feed the trolls"!!

Here's what she posted today on the thread titled "What time to they let you board the ship"...

I think a post I wrote got deleted, but to make a long story short, by listening to people, I changed my flight and ended up at the airport at 8:30 AM... mind you I changed the flight from a Miami flight to a Ft. Lauderdale flight and got to Ft. Lauderdale airport at 8:30 Am...taking Carnival shuttles , too. So we spent extra money for absolutely no reason. We were outside the cruise terminal by 7:30 - one of the first few off the ship. So if we had taken a cab we would had been to the airport in plenty of time because at that point it was before there was a lot of traffic going on.

So she's still not accepting personal responsibility for her own actions. It's now because of "listening to other people". No one held a gun to her head and made her change her flight, people were just giving their opionions they thought she was cutting it too close. That she actually made it to the airport in time for her "original" flight time (a 1 in a 1000 chance) and now had to wait for the "moved" flight time angered her. Plus whatever it cost to move the flight was another bone of contention for her. Eliot Ness said it best when he said (in so many words), she should had asked the question BEFORE she booked the flight if it was an issue.

P.S. To start a thread with the blanket statement "Carnival lets underage teens drink alcohol" is, IMHO, someone wanting to stir the pot, sit back and watch the fireworks begin.

sparkysfriend, that is why is said hard to believe as stated. Carnival (and many businesses for that matter) are accused of "anything for a buck". They're a business, they are all about making a buck, but it has been my experience that they do a good job in avoiding this kind of abuse. Drunk kids on cruiseships is bad for business.

Now Duck says that the S&S cards have pictures imbedded and this is true, but I've never seen a terminal at a bar that displays the picture. I've only seen the picture displayed at security entering and leaving the ship. I'm sure Duck will correct me if I'm wrong and I may well be, just stating my experience.

But hearing all this "If the kid did wrong it's the businesses fault" really bothers me. The message it sends to kids is that if they get away with bad behavior, it's not their fault, it's someone elses fault. No wonder many kids act irresponsibly.

One can see the influence of Carnival directly in some of the responses suggesting that the responses are generated by high level Carnival employees as a means of defending a practice they do not want known or discussed. It is known that Carnival does not adhere to many of its stated policies. This is not to say that some ships are not managed well by the Captain and his senior staff. That said Carnival is in the business of making a buck. If thoses reading this response were to carefully read the rules stated by Carnival on a host of topics, then you might understand why Carnival has a problem. The problem is not with me, but with the industry that feeds the cruise line. That is the American travel agencies. They book cruises for Carnival leaving from American ports. The travel arrangements made by the agents for passengers leaved from U.S. ports requires that the agents be aware of the cruise lines policies and local and U.S. laws regarding such sales of passage originating from U.S. ports.

If you are talking about drinking, smoking, drugs, accomodations, handicapped access, etc. all have requirements Carnival must meet in order to allow the land based U.S. tranvel agents to partner with the cruise line in retailing passage. A number of U.S. travel agencies are looking at Carnival following a number of serious complaints about the conduct of the cruise line. I beleive that pressure and restraints of the travel agents will lead to a demand that Carnival clean up its act or face a decline in sales by U.S. travel agents looking to protect their own interests and avoid fines by regulators in the States.

Please take my comments for what it is worth. You need not agree with my view or disagree. I am not investigating Carnivals practices nor am I advocating that the travel industry do what they are doing.

What will be interesting to see is how Carnival will react. You can expect from the previous postings that Carnival employees will rush to spin a version of the story reflecting their opinion. Perhaps we will read a full denial. For those interested I respectfully urge you to go back and read the previous postings and bookmark in your mind which of the participants thusfar are employees of Carnival.

Thank you for your time.:)

One can see the influence of Carnival directly in some of the responses suggesting that the responses are generated by high level Carnival employees as a means of defending a practice they do not want known

((clipped for brevity))

What will be interesting to see is how Carnival will react. You can expect from the previous postings that Carnival employees will rush to spin a version of the story reflecting their opinion. Perhaps we will read a full denial. For those interested I respectfully urge you to go back and read the previous postings and bookmark in your mind which of the participants thusfar are employees of Carnival.

Thank you for your time.:)

HUH???

I think your vague, poorly written response is alluding to most posters being CCL employees?? I wish! Then I would cruise at a big discount!!

Your post does not address the subject, so what was your point??

Archived