QM2 2007 World & Segments Roll Call started

Therapst

Mary,

You might require my packing skills AFTER you are on board............. because I will be really interested to see how all your gear is going to fit in the cabin!

You only have 2 wardrobes for hanging (about 24 inches wide each) then the middle one has the drawers below with the safe above. There is some storage space above each wardrobe for items but the lifejackets are also stowed there.

Then you have the beside drawers (shallow)

And the drawer under the tv desk............ otherwise leave some stuff in the cases under the bed.

On the other part of the subject......... not much choice to limit the baggage when the trip starts and finishes with a flight halfway around the world........... I mean excess baggage costs almost as much as the cruise apart form the prospect of the more you have the more likely it is to get lost and then you have to haul it all around airports hotels etc.

The QM2 laundrys are the best entertainment on board......... stand back and watch the show........... it runs continuously from opening time to closing!:D

Karie:- cook, clean, wash, iron, thats me (SNAGWAL)

Sensitive New Age Guy Women Always Love:eek:

Mary,

You might require my packing skills AFTER you are on board............. because I will be really interested to see how all your gear is going to fit in the cabin!

Yeah--me, too! But I don't know how to avoid it. We will be on the ship for more than 14 weeks, and I don't want to be doing laundry every couple days. I think the items that are causing the most difficulty are the formal clothes, tux, suits and so on, which tend to be bulky, with shoulder pads, etc.:confused:

I think you are right that we may need to 'live out of our suitcases' for some of our things. If only the upgrade fairy would cast her fairy dust over our booking...<sigh>;)

Hey Emu

Thanks for the update re check-in at Sydney. I had wondered if they might do exactly what you said as our pre-cruise packs did say check-in was at Circular Quay.

I'm happy with where we are, it looks delightful and the price was good. Its all prepaid anyway so no changing it now. I think I read somewhere that there is a view of the naval dockyards from the end of the street we are staying on (or something like that) so I'm hoping to be able to go down and watch her come in! I guess we will then have to taxi over to Circular Quay only to be bussed back after check-in!

Good point about the storage on-board. I really am going to try and curtail packing too much, and as you also said we too have international flights to worry about. Excess baggage hurts!

Cheers to all

Timmi

If only the upgrade fairy would cast her fairy dust over our booking...<sigh>;)

Now, Mary

You're doing the world! That's more than some of us! You know, the working stiffs!

Tell you what, You pay for me to go on the world with you, and I'll do your laundry every other day! I'll even iron the pleasts in the tux shirts!

Oh yeah, and since I won't be workng for three months or so, and getting my paycheck, I'll need some spending money. Oh, and someone will have to pay my mortgage and electric and all while I'm gone!

<VBG>

<sigh>

Oh well, a girl can dream, can't she?

Karie,

who has to get up around 5 or 5:30 AM tomorrow, after getting used to working nights last week! AGGH! How am I ever going to get up!?

Now, Mary

...Tell you what, You pay for me to go on the world with you, and I'll do your laundry every other day! I'll even iron the pleasts in the tux shirts!

Now, Karie:

Didn't I tell you I have just bought another suitcase just for that eventuality?:D I'll certainly need someone to iron the pleats on Randy's shirts and you would like a 'long' cruise, so I guess it's a 'marriage made in heaven' for both of us! :)

But, wait! What's this about needing spending money, making mortgage payments, paying electric bills at your house, etc.?:eek: Nah, I guess I'll just have to iron those pleats myself. Sorry, Charlie...uh, Karie.:p

Mary and Randy, I hope you have the most fabulous World Cruise. Both of you have added so much to these boards over the last few months. Thanks for allowing us to share your excitement as you prepared to leave on this wonderful journey. Bon Voyage!!! Safe Travels! We look forward to your reports from the ship.

Beth

Hey! Mary and Randy,

Was hoping I'd hear from y'all before you leave!

If you don't have time for a post card, do send an email! And as I promised, if you want me to post for you, I know CC can be slow some times, I would be proud to do that for y'all! You've both helped bring excitement and class to this board (not that it didn't already have it in spades!)

I am so jealous, I offered to do your iroing, but I guess it just couldn't be worked out in time!

Have a marvelous Christmas Cruise and World,

Oh, and how much for the videos you will be selling after of your fabulous Maiden World Cruise! Well, of course, you'll need to to pay for the next one, since you will be hooked! And don't forget the charity video. We demand a copy!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukuh! Happy New Year, Happy Kwanzaa and any other reason you can think to tip a glass of Veuve Cliquot!

Karie,

who would love to be there if I could!

Cusyl, Beth, and Karie, thank you so much for your kind comments and best wishes for our voyage. We wish you were all going to be joining us, and we mean that sincerely.

Karie, we'll take you up on your kind offer to post updates for us here on CC.

And to all of our friends here on Cruise Critic, our best holiday wishes and hopes for many happy future cruises!

Hello, Timmi:

Thank you very much for your best wishes for our 'Grand Adventure'! You bet we will be looking for you when you and your family board in Sydney. I'll have a sticky-label on that will read 'Therapst's Lady' so you'll recognize me right away.:eek:

Again, thank you for all your posts and help in keeping our meager thread near the top so if any World Cruiser was out there, they would see the thread and post. We all are going to have a fabulous time, I just know it!;)

Merry Christmas to you and yours,:)

I know, I m a nag about it, but it is so great to look back through the pages from the maiden voyage and recognize the names on the CC board and read all the comments. Our book is about half way full, so maybe in 2008 we will need a new one :D

HAVE JUST READ THE ROLL CALL FOR QM2 JAN 10, 2007 SAILING. MY WIFE AND I WILL BE ON BOARD THRU TO SAN FRANCISCO AS WE LIVE TWO HOURS FROM THE CITY. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT INFORMATION. THIS IS OUR FIRST CRUISE (except for my days in the US NAVY) AND WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. IT APPEARS OUR BIG QUESTIONS WERE PRETTY COMMON (tipping,laundry,packing,etc). I JUST HOPE WE BOOKED A DECENT CABIN, #8120. iLIKED THE IDEA OF THE POOL AND THE LIBRARY BEING ON THAT DECK. ONCE AGAIN LOVED TO READ ALL YOUR POSTINGS.

Welcome, Saturday! We are on the ship now, as well as the 4-day Getaway cruise, then the full World Cruise. This ship is absolutely gorgeous! You will love it. The seas have been white-capped and it has been very windy. QM2 just knifed right through it all and we have had a VERY smooth sailing.

We will suggest to Amanda Reid, Assistant Cruise Director, that a Cruise Critic get-together would be appreciated for those getting on the ship on January 10. More on that later. We would love to meet you and talk about (what else?) cruising.

See you then.

As I posted on the other thread, we will be joining in Ft. Lauderdale and get off in SF. Just to assure you, not all silver haired people like bus rides. I'm 56 and hubby is 62, but we still like the more energetic bike rides, snorkeling, river rapids, etc tours. We try to avoid the bus rides or "calm" tours because we find they are very slllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwww.

Timmi

Just got our tickets.............. QM2 passenger check in in SYDNEY will be at the Passenger terminal at Circular Quay............ then you will be bussed to the Naval Dockyard at Wooloomooloo Bay. (Security issues)

You said you booked accomodationin the Potts Point area.

Just thought you might like to relocate somewhere in the downtown area.

Cya:)

Hi EMU,

Is the same scenario in play for those that are disembarking in Sydney? Are they to be processed and released via Circular Quay?

We haven't signed up on Roll Call as of yet, but are embarking in SF as you are. We are being picked up in Sydney, and I wish to notify our friends there if the pick up point is other than Circular Quay.

Thanks...............Kurt

G'day Kurt,

This is one for Cunard.

As everyone leaving the ship........(transit day trippers and disembarking) will have to clear immigration and customs, I think it will be a logistical nightmare to bus them to Circular Quay for processing.

My thoughts are immigration and customs will take part on board then the day trippers will leave directly from the ship. Those doing their own thing will be taken off the secure part of the wharf ............ probably to the gate.

What happens to those disembarking will be another story........... with the luggage and all.

Woolloomooloo Naval Base is not set up for passengers and can't recall it ever being used except for naval send offs........... and that was before increased security measures. I have just had to have a full ASIO (like the American FBI) check just to get an authority to enter a freight wharf as part of my job!!!!!.............. So they really just won't let anyone wander around the wharves anymore.

Really suggest you get some info from Cunard............ it has the potential makings of being chaos.

Enjoy the voyage.

Paul

G'day Kurt,

This is one for Cunard.

As everyone leaving the ship........(transit day trippers and disembarking) will have to clear immigration and customs, I think it will be a logistical nightmare to bus them to Circular Quay for processing.

My thoughts are immigration and customs will take part on board then the day trippers will leave directly from the ship. Those doing their own thing will be taken off the secure part of the wharf ............ probably to the gate.

What happens to those disembarking will be another story........... with the luggage and all.

Woolloomooloo Naval Base is not set up for passengers and can't recall it ever being used except for naval send offs........... and that was before increased security measures. I have just had to have a full ASIO (like the American FBI) check just to get an authority to enter a freight wharf as part of my job!!!!!.............. So they really just won't let anyone wander around the wharves anymore.

Really suggest you get some info from Cunard............ it has the potential makings of being chaos.

Enjoy the voyage.

Paul

Thanks Emu,

We will find out! Like my dad used to tell me: "Son, if you are ever caught with your hand in the cookie jar.....then shove it in right up to the elbow!"

Thanks, Kurt

From EMU

Still should be some time for the other city activities before we sail.

Is anything oficial planned for the arrival/departure of the QM2?

Where is it panned to berth?

Thanks again for you tips and assistance.:D

Hi Paul,

My wife and I will be on Pier 39 when QM2 arrives at 3:30. We plan on eating dinner at Pier 39 Crab House. Highly recommend it. The Huge Dungeness Crab is worth it! We are going to try to eat around 7:00 or so...Maybe much later. Stop by and have dinner. I'll look for the OZ. Let us know if you are going to be there.

We are very happy to be able to see the ship arrive. View from shore is the only minus I feel when I am on the ship. Don't worry, I get over that almost immediately:D Happiness is being on the ship!

Thanks,

Kurt

Please look at my post re all the festivities planned for San Francisco under the thread below titled "world cruise blog for Therapist" - it will tell you everything you want to know.

BTW, the pier arrival and departure of QM2 has been pushed back by 3 hours, now 8pm to 8pm - not sure why, maybe a tidal thing. Or, one of my thoughts is perhaps they don't want the Superbowl to distract from her arrival. She insists on all the attention being focused on her - typical royalty ;)

Bob.

Please look at my post re all the festivities planned for San Francisco under the thread below titled "world cruise blog for Therapist" - it will tell you everything you want to know.

BTW, the pier arrival and departure of QM2 has been pushed back by 3 hours, now 8pm to 8pm - not sure why, maybe a tidal thing. Or, one of my thoughts is perhaps they don't want the Superbowl to distract from her arrival. She insists on all the attention being focused on her - typical royalty ;)

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I think you have hit the nail on the head! Of course........It's Super Bowl Sunday and Cunard/San Francisco want to have good coverage for the Maiden Arrival without overlapping priorities. You must be right.:cool:

Well done.............Kurt

Hey Kurt

Let me know if you get an info re disembarkation in Sydney. As we are embarking (via Circular Quay) it would be interesting to know how they are handling disembarking passengers. I guess it doesn't really make much difference to us but I I'd like to have some idea of just how much of a nightmare its going to be!

By the way Emu, Cunard phoned us yesterday to check everything was ok and ask if there was anything they could do for us. They also wanted to check that we had organised our visas for India (have lodged them, will pick up Friday). I must say I was pleasantly surprised to get the call!

Looking forward to meeting all of you that will be on our Sydney-Dubai sector!

Cheers

Timmi

Archived