St. Thomas skyride - FYI

perkyblue

Just an FYI for everybody because we had no idea: You will not be allowed on the skyride to Paradise Point without a shirt.

After drying off from a snorkeling trip, my brother and I planned to take the skyride. I was wearing a sundress-type cover-up over my bikini, and my brother was wearing long swim shorts and no shirt. They wouldn't let us on because my brother didn't have a shirt. This really surprised us; we didn't think it would be all that unusual for someone to come from a water activity and then decide to try out the skyride. This was at the end of the day, so we didn't have time to go back to the ship for a shirt and we ended up missing one of the activities that we had really been looking forward to.

I just wanted to pass this info along because I really wish I had known this rule before we got off the ship that day because my brother would certainly have brought along a shirt if we had known this rule!

Hello perkyblue,

Sorry you missed the tram. Your post is a great tip.

Its taboo in the USVI to be bareback (for men) and in swimwear without coverup (for women) anywhere besides the beach or poolside. While you might see some visitors walking around downtown bareback or in a bikini top and shorts its really frowned on.

--Islander

I am surprised that the people allowed you off the ship without a shirt.

(shirt and shoes should be worn anywhere off the ship)

I guess your post will let people know this rule.

• 5 years later...

My wife noticed rust on the tram supports. We are avid skiers and have never seen this out west. Some of the animals in the zoo had no water and there were no attendants. If you are hungry and willing to pay the prices, don;t walk past the second floor outside grill...you will lose your hunger. The staff was rude and we were told that this company is under new ownership. Prices were extreme and many food items were not available. Also, rotten floor boards on nature trail - be careful!!!

Hello perkyblue,

Sorry you missed the tram. Your post is a great tip.

Its taboo in the USVI to be bareback (for men) and in swimwear without coverup (for women) anywhere besides the beach or poolside. While you might see some visitors walking around downtown bareback or in a bikini top and shorts its really frowned on.

--Islander

I just read that (taboo to wear just swimwear and/or barefoot on the VInow site... Good piece of info. I think sometimes people get so wraped up with vacation mode that they overlook or forget others around... Customs, beliefs and so on.

Good tips, thank you. Many people aren't aware but it is frowned upon to be dressed (or shall I say "under-dressed) a certain way in the Caribbean. Tourists don't often know about this or plan ahead. My DH grew up in St. Lucia and there is it frowned upon for women to wear shorts in town; dresses or skirts are preferred as a sign of resepct. In other islands, camoflauge wear is taboo as well.

It's all very interesting. :)

Good tips, thank you. Many people aren't aware but it is frowned upon to be dressed (or shall I say "under-dressed) a certain way in the Caribbean. Tourists don't often know about this or plan ahead. My DH grew up in St. Lucia and there is it frowned upon for women to wear shorts in town; dresses or skirts are preferred as a sign of resepct. In other islands, camoflauge wear is taboo as well.

It's all very interesting. :)

Also if you visit some of the churchs ladies should have a scarf to put on their head.

Archived