Chankanaab Dolphin experience

emdia43

I am thinking of booking the Dolphin Discovery swim adventure at Chankanaab Park but can't find whether the park is open again.Our cruise is on CB and we'll be in Cozumel on 8/3.

Has anyone done one of these tours with dolphindiscovery.com ?

There are 2 tours that look good- the Swim Adventure and the Dolphin Royal Swim- the difference being the Royal Swim includes the foot push and a price difference of about $40 but the Adventure looks pretty good too.

I am thinking of booking the Dolphin Discovery swim adventure at Chankanaab Park but can't find whether the park is open again.Our cruise is on CB and we'll be in Cozumel on 8/3.

Has anyone done one of these tours with dolphindiscovery.com ?

There are 2 tours that look good- the Swim Adventure and the Dolphin Royal Swim- the difference being the Royal Swim includes the foot push and a price difference of about $40 but the Adventure looks pretty good too.

Chankannab officially reopened June 16th. They expect to have dolphin activities by July first.

Follow the following link, then select Chankannab.

http://cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

DH and DS did the Royal Swim. They had a wonderful time. We have great pictures of them doing the stunts. The look on their faces when the dolphins pushed them out of the water was priceless. It is definately worth the price. On our next cruise my son want s to do it again. My DH feels once was enough and DS is old enough now to do it him by himself. He was 10 last time and will be 2 weeks shy of 13 this time.

Is someone else taking the photos? Can members of the same family do different programs? One of us wants to do the Royal Swim but I'm not sure whether I should (hip replacement) if the push is very vigorous.....do they bring you right up onto your feet out of the water or is this a gentle nudge type of thing? Sorry for so many questions but I'd really like to do it to the max:)

I think if you want the family to all be in the water at the same time, you have to book the same program. My daughter really wants the foot push, so we booked the Royal Swim, but my mom (who has had back surgery) isn't sure she should do that. The people at Dolphin Discovery told me she could just not do that part if she didn't feel comfortable doing it. I will probably do it first to see how it is and then let her know how it was.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll book the Royal Swim and then just not do the foot push if it looks too energetic. That way I'll get to hold onto them and swim around. Did you book direct with dolphindiscovery or through the ship's excursions?

We booked with Dolphin Discovery. My 10 year old granddaughter and I did it last summer. They also do a video that I am so thankful to have! It has music on it, and she looks like a star! I think it was $25.

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery. You can do it on-line, but I called because I wanted to check on available times and to make sure all three of us could be together. They were very nice. Plus, if for some reason the ship is late or doesn't make it to Cozumel, they said they would refund our money. I felt like we couldn't go wrong. Hopefully they will be back up and running this weekend and things will be great when we get there at the end of July.

I just had an update from an official at Chankanaab Park and it looks like the Dolphin Discovery attraction will re-open on 1 July.... BUT... with a limited program and not to the public, only to tours.

I take this to mean that if you book a tour through a cruise ship you can go, but you can't just turn up at the gate - at least for now.

The Park itself has already re-opened, you can see a story with new photos on this Cozumel information website.

I shall post more news on that website or on here as soon as I have it...

Ian

We are going on a cruise in Jan. Is it hard to book this on your own? What about getting there? Do you booked a cab in advance or just get a cab when the ship docks? I'm not sure our cruise ship offers this excurion...how can I find out? going on the Elation to key west and coz. Thanks for your help.

Need advice: We are going to be in Cozumel on October 18 aboard the Disney Magic. I was planning to book the Dolphin Encounter for our family directly through Dolphin Discovery on this date, but they tell me the only time available is 3:30 p.m. The ship is scheduled to depart at 5:30 p.m., but the representative at Dolphin Discovery says not to worry: Encounter takes 30 minutes, cab to pier takes only 10 minutes, so we'll have an hour to spare. This sounds pretty rushed and stressful to me, especially if the ship is still tendering passengers in October rather than actually docking (anyone know the status of this?)... I am leaning on paying the extra $$ and book through the cruise line. Any advice??

The problem with this 2 hour time window you're dealing with is ship's time vs. Cozumel time!

5 Years ago I booked a Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab for a group of 6 for 3:30. Our ship was leaving at 6PM....no problem. Unfortunately we got to Cozumel, and found out we had to stay on ship's time, which was an hour ahead...which meant the swim was at 4:30 ship's time, and the swim is 45 minutes! That put us leaving the park at 5:15 if everyone got out of the water, ran wet through the park to taxis with no hesitation! Instead they dried off, waited for pictures and videos, which had us leaving the park at 5:35! The gangway is pulled 15 minutes prior to the ship leaving, and we were literally the last ones on board. We got to watch the gangway being pulled in, and the door being shut....YIKES....TO CLOSE! (I've only had this happen where we had to stay on ship's on this cruise, and our last cruise on the Galaxy in Nassau, and we DID leave a father and daughter behind, standing at the pier waving at us!)

I book with Dolphin Discovery still, but will only book with them if I have a 3-4 hours window so I can get back to the ship on time! (We'll be in Chankanaab next Tuesday, arriving at 10AM, with an encounter at noon, and leaving at 8PM. We're docked, so hopefully there won't be any problems this time!

Take Care,

Jaime

Archived