Another Perspective on additional Costs

Sunviking

Thanks to Ann for the poignant original post and others for the follow-up discussion. I've been reading the comments, complaints, reports, and reviews about the new Crown Princess for the past several days. I've relayed the gist of the various threads to DH, and we've had several conversations about the trend towards "a la carte" cruising that we believe will be the wave of the future.

Many of the "extras" that people are questioning are just that - extras. No one is being forced to use The Sanctuary, dine in alternative restaurants for a fee, play Bingo, attend a wine tasting, get a massage or facial, or any of the other "optional" activities that are available on a Princess cruise. Cruise "enhancements" are there for those who want to indulge themselves, but you certainly can have a most enjoyable cruise without them. Similarly, shore excursions are offered through Princess, but you don't have to avail yourself of these services.

Princess has made a serious effort to be all, or at least many things to all, or at least, most people. As a mainstream rather than a luxury cruiseline, I feel that Princess has offered many options that may be included in the overall cost of a more upscale cruiseline for a significantly higher price. I have the option to indulge in the extras if I so choose, but I don't have to pay for them if I don't avail myself of these services. I rather like the idea of "a la carte" cruising :) .

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I was going to say, "for our money" but what the heck, I'm foot'n the bill and happy to do so.

I'm taking my three daughters (25, 25, and 27) on the Grand Princess in December. At first, I said they would need to pay for their own excursions but now I've decided to pay for those, too, because I don't want anyone not to go because she doesn't think she can afford it! So that pretty much leaves them paying for their own drinks and souvenirs. ;)

I don't feel like I'm being "Nickel and Dimed" by the Sanctuary fees, specialty dinner costs, spa fees, wine costs, premium ice cream charges, and other little perks which Princess Charges for. If it weren't for the non-inclusive options, I doubt I'd able to book a week long cruise for $800+airfare pp; my family probably wouldn't go, as the bill payer isn't the sort to splurge on luxury hotels. Having several different cabin classes, economy sailings, and plenty of options enables us to cruise at the price we want to pay.

Having said that, I do feel that certain excursions are overpriced to the point of silliness. For example, a Liarsville (Alaska) Salmon bake costs $26 via independent and Princess Excursions which include this experience cost $55+ (it does include other items, but I don't want them). Princess Airport Transportation is $20pp while estimated cab fees are about $25-35. However, no one is making me go on a Princess Excursion or pay the tender to get off a ship (a taxi to downtown, perhaps, but getting off the ship at a dock is free). That's nice too, because if excursions were included, I'm sure people would be trying to figure out the excursion redemption system and how to "maximise" (exploit) their excursion vouchers instead of watching the beautiful scenery. The price of the cruise would increase $99 (let's just say that's the average excursion price) * 4 ports (for example) = increase of about $400 per person. Then my $800 pp cruise gets hiked up to $1,200. $400 is a new ipod. For a family of three, the difference could be applied to a fourth passenger, airfare, or new home computer. Suddenly, that's a lot of money for an all-inclusive cruise.

It is fantastic if you're able to find a cruise at the level you're willing to pay, with the specific perks you appreciate, among a group of people with like minds. If you're like me, Ritz Carlton Tastes with a Priceline budget, then you go with the option you can afford, knowing that you've got the money to pay for the cruise and save up for your favorite luxuries.

Thing is, I'm a nice person and fun travel buddy probably outside your usual peer group. I can tell you funny stories while we ride down in an elevator. I'd genuinely compliment you and your wife on your beautiful formal wear as we passed in a hallway. We'd chat about other places you've visited and share our favorite "secret spots". You know, those little things from civilized fellow cruisers which bring a smile to your face. I'd also peek into your grand presidential suite as you walked in/out, curious to see the luxury compared to my comparatively economical booking. Without the options to "lux it up" at different prices, we'd never get to meet. I wouldn't be able to hide from your offspring or my least favorite table mate at Sanctuary or on a VIP excursion.:D You can head for a specialty restaurant if you want to change things up (A perfectly valid excuse for missing your dinner seating last night- "Darling, it isn't you, I just wanted to try the fab specialty restaurant." instead of "My husband threatened mutiny if he had to hear about your gout/grandchildren/glory days again.")

For me, luxury is fantastic, but a bit of diversity is what makes the cruise and cruise-mates memorable. Bring on "a la cruise".

Wow, what a cool thread!

Thank you, those of you that have been at this since the 60s!

When I was growing up, it was common knowledge that cruising was for "the rich" so, we never got to do it and that was ok.

After we got married, we decided that at 10 years, we would take a cruise. We had expected to have to save and save and save, but our Carribean cruise was quite affordable (given our preconceived notions).

I have always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise and years ago discovered that hubby just doesn't want to go ("too cold") but Mom does. So I waited and waited for fares to become affordable. Finally, it's below 4 digits and I can take Mom. She has never cruised but always wanted to (Dad never wanted to). this will just be my second.

It's unlikely we'll spend any time at the spa or take a class or buy drinks or any of those extras so I'm grateful they aren't added in. Were it not for the mainstreaming, we would not be going to Alaska. Sure, I would rather have been there on the only ship to sail Alaska, but, income can't justify it. I've had to wait and hope and I even remember the day I saw "$899" and called Mom. This is fine with me, though: I was brought up with the premise that you should always want for something and this is a BIG something for both of us.

Some of you veterans have a clear vision of all the changes over time and like the previous poster, I would love to be at your table one evening to hear about your cruises. He nailed it when he said "civilized" - this is what I equate the cruise experience with - the wealthy with their fine dress and impeccable manners. I hope it will always be so. So much of society is "casualizing" to the point where people don't seem to think there is any occasion worthy of special dress or behavior. To me, that's a loss.

I'm completely blown away by children having gone on so many cruises while no kid I grew up with went on even 2 and I'm hard pressed to recall any that went on one at all! We're living in a more privileged time and expectations have risen.

I, personally, cannot justify "luxury" beyond the ticket - I don't have the extra money for splurging since this trip is already on a credit card. A facial that costs twice what it would at home is easy to pass up. Oh, I may take Mom to the piano bar and buy us each a brandy on a formal night, but that's about it aside from excursions and maybe a specialty coffee for her once or twice.

I guess for us, the excitement of taking a cruise, combined with the thrill of finally seeing Alaska, is a dream come true. Anything else is icing on the cake, and beyond that, it's the ice cream on top and for that, I expect to pay extra.

One of the factors in the cruise market expanding it has to move back to a multi class/cost system or they cannot fill the bigger ships. Cunard still have 3 classes but the other lines dress it up with concierge and special extras for the suites etc. At the smaller end you can provide a one size fits all and still fill the ship.

Allthough we are overall still happy with what is included if they get eroded much more we will have to look at our spends. WE tried celebrity this year and for the price were very happy there were a few extras things included which make a difference.

I like t he idea of offering extras in packages extending the current soda card,aniversary etc offereings.

For ships with speciality reasurants they could include one sitting as part of the price(chose at booking time) this way everyon get a chance and stp people booking the placesup for the complete cruise first day so you miss out.

Now as it happens some of the older ships mentioned are now sailing in europe under UK brands. One option that is available is the AI drinks package on some UK budget lines this will include draft beer,wine by the glass, house spirit/mixer,and basic cocktails. around $150 - $200 pppw. This is a very popular "fixed cost pre pay extra".

Archived