Is the food on the Ships the same as Disney World?

bocacruiser

The food was really good - not like in the park at all. I was with a group of beef eaters and we had steak every night. Go to the supper club if you have a chance - it was an amazing experience.

I guess it depends on how you define "food at WDW". If you mean counter service inside the parks as compared to the dining rooms on the cruise then you are comparing apples to oranges with the cruise dining rooms wins. If you are comparing the main dining rooms on the cruise ship to some of the sitdown restaurants at one of the resorts then many of the resort restaurants would win but it would be close.

We've eaten at the breakfast and dinner buffets at the Floridian, The Beach Club, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Polynesian and Yacht Club as well as ordered off of their menus. When we're in the parks we've eaten at the Crystal Palace, Liberty Tavern and Cinderella's Castle. The food is average to below average at best. In Epcot we've eaten at the Mexican (sit down) restaurant which was pretty good and the Japanese restaurant which was also okay. The children's pizza and chicken tenders and mac and cheese that they offer at the buffets or any of the fast food places within the park are the same frozen food style junk everywhere (within Disney) you get them and are gross.

Is there someplace at Disney that we're unaware of because in my almost 100 visits there (as a Florida resident) I can't imagine where that is but please clue me in!

We've eaten at the breakfast and dinner buffets at the Floridian, The Beach Club, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Polynesian and Yacht Club as well as ordered off of their menus. When we're in the parks we've eaten at the Crystal Palace, Liberty Tavern and Cinderella's Castle. The food is average to below average at best. In Epcot we've eaten at the Mexican (sit down) restaurant which was pretty good

Forget the buffets for starters. Some of them are better than others but for the most part, they are still buffets. You have eaten at San Angel Inn which IMO has some excellent mexican food. Have you tried Le Cellier Steakhouse in EPCOT or Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Also at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is Boma which is different from all the other buffets. For the ultimate, have you eaten at Victoria and Alberts?

We go with our young children which is why we go to alot of buffets, but we've done our share of sit down meals as well. Yes to Citricos and Flying Fish, good but not what I call typical Disney fare which is what I was inquiring about to begin with. No to the fine dining restaurants as I stated we are far from fine diners, especially with 2 kids under 10.

We go with our young children which is why we go to alot of buffets, but we've done our share of sit down meals as well. Yes to Citricos and Flying Fish, good but not what I call typical Disney fare which is what I was inquiring about to begin with. No to the fine dining restaurants as I stated we are far from fine diners, especially with 2 kids under 10.

If you are going to compare the buffetts at WDW to the ships, then the dining rooms onboard the ships will be a world of difference.

We like the Disney "junk" food lol. My kids would be in heaven if there was a cosmic rays on the ship lol. We didn't care for the Mexican place at EPCOT. To each their own.:) Nothing can be worse than the food I just had on the Carnival Liberty!:(

Pluto's Dog House by the kids pool on the Magic has the same hot dogs, chicken tenders and burgers that WDW has at places like Cosmic Rays, etc. The food in the dining room is a REAL TREAT and you are gonna be amazed!

And if you go to Palo's, you won't be disappointed!!! We would have eaten there every night if possible. We found the food to be very good everywhere on the ship though. However, we do enjoy the chicken strips at Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom :) We also love California Grill... we're not food snobs, but do like good food and we were not displeased on the ship at all.

Palo's Brunch is wonderful, Dinner 2nd choice and skip the Tea!! One meal at Palo's is so worth it! :D

The changing of the dining rooms is a great idea! You will love the service and they will accommodate you wherever they can with the food! You will not be disappointed! :)

I actually found the food at WDW to be better than what they served on the ship. :eek:

I'm used to scanning a menu and narrowing down choices. On Disney, I found myself scanning, and having to go back and pick the lesser of all evils. The offerings in Parrot Cay are the worst of all.

But it's all served with great service! :)

And the buffet is a joke. I've never seen such a claustrophobic layout.

On the sea days, at least on the Magic, they offer cooking classes that are presented by one of the main dining room head chefs. I attended one, and the dish that he made was from the menu from one of the resort restaurants (The Flying Fish Cafe at Boardwalk, I believe).

I think that you'll also find that the food at Palo is comparable to Victoria & Albert's - exquisite. Make your reservations on the website before you board; we usually aim for the 2nd half of the week but not during a sea day - I wouldn't want to miss the formal night, and I wouldn't want to miss the first night in any of the dining rooms when they each have different menu's. Also, do yourself a favor and book a brunch on a sea day.

For the most part, I do not think that the dining room food is up to par with the better resort restaurants, but certainly better than anything you are going to find in any of the parks sit-down restaurants.

As far as the buffets - well, it's a buffet. Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed. That is comparable to a buffet at WDW.

As far as the pool side "fast food", it is very much like the stuff you'll find at counterservice restaurants in the parks.

• 4 weeks later...

The buffets are buffets. Not that great, not that bad, just sort of blah with lots of people pushing in line.

Use the seated dining for all of your meals and you will find a very good quality of product. Not always the best, but very good. If you do not like something tell the server and ask for something different, that is the hidden gem of cruising!

Plutos offers some really good burgers and brats.

Palo's hit us as very flat at dinner, they just tried to be tooooooo much. But Palo's does have a fantastic brunch during days at sea that should not be missed. Very, very good.

The last time we were at WDW was 1999. We went every other year since it opened and the one breakfast we always had to have was the French Toast stuffed with bananas at the Polynesian Hotel. The kids graduated from HS and that was the end of our family vacations.

Do they serve that on the cruise?

Thanks

The last time we were at WDW was 1999. We went every other year since it opened and the one breakfast we always had to have was the French Toast stuffed with bananas at the Polynesian Hotel. The kids graduated from HS and that was the end of our family vacations.

Do they serve that on the cruise?

Thanks

Breakfast in the dining room was disappointing, quite frankly. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the menu. They may have something comparable at the Palo brunch.

Archived