Nynashamn Port - Stockholm

I was just there last week. I do not recall seeing taxis there but I wasn't looking for it. We took the train and that took about 40 minutes so I suspect it would be a very expensive taxi ride. It was quite a distance. Like 25-30 miles or so into Stockholm.

How much was your fare for the train ride into and back to the ship area. What time did you catch the train into Stockholm? And what time coming back? Our cruise leaves on July 4th. We currently have a ships tour booked but we are thinking of canceling this and doing it on our own.

Is the train that much cheaper than the actual ship's bus into town to make it worth the while? I know they'll hold the ship waiting for their own buses but probably not wait for the train if anything happened.

The train takes almost an hour and a oneway ticket costs SEK 20 per person. That is hard to beat since it is less than 3 US$. There are taxi companies you can contact to book a taxi but it is very expensive and may take more time than the train.

How much was your fare for the train ride into and back to the ship area. What time did you catch the train into Stockholm? And what time coming back? Our cruise leaves on July 4th. We currently have a ships tour booked but we are thinking of canceling this and doing it on our own.

We bought a Stockholm card online before we left the USA good for our transportation and our sightseeing. It was probably slightly cheaper to buy things individually but for the extra convienence we loved the card. We used it a the Vasser mueseum, on a ferry ride, a bus ride, on the train and one other place I forgot.

We caught the 8:07 train leaving the ship and then I think the 2:52pm train leaving Stockholm (be sure to get in the first 4 cars on the return as the train does split at one of the stations going back to the ship). There was a line buying tickets while we just jumped on the train. I think you can buy them from the conductor as well (not 100% positive). We were on the 3rd tender leaving the ship that morning and made the 8:07 train with about 10 min to spare.

It's quite a hassle doing Stockholm on Princess due to docking that far South and the short time in port. Still a great city to visit and we had fun there seeing things and shopping. The long train ride both ways made it for a long day there.

rkdahl..

I already recieved my "Stockholm Card" in the mail, so I guess I'm all set, but a quick question please or two ..

Where and when did you validate the card before getting on the 8:07 train to Stockholm ??

Also, I read somewhere that the card wasn't valid on some of the ferries over to the Vasa museum, is that true ??

Thanks in advance

Srpilo

Where and when did you validate the card before getting on the 8:07 train to Stockholm ??

Also, I read somewhere that the card wasn't valid on some of the ferries over to the Vasa museum, is that true ??

We just showed the card to the conductor on the train we he passed through. He stamped it.

And yes, the card did provide ferry transportation to the Vasser mueseum. We showed the cards at a ticket booth at the harbor and they gave us a paper ticket for the ferry ride which was just a 3-4 min ride. You can also take a bus to the museum as well. Here's the best source for Stockholm card info:

http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/StockholmsCard____9989.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

There were several taxis at Nynashamn when we got off the ship at 9:00. We had reserved a taxi from Stockholm Taxi (about $90 into the city), and they were there with a sign, but there were other taxis as well.

There were several taxis at Nynashamn when we got off the ship at 9:00. We had reserved a taxi from Stockholm Taxi (about $90 into the city), and they were there with a sign, but there were other taxis as well.

Was the $90 round trip or one way into Stockholm ?

Btw..Thanks for the input :)

Srpilo

We took the train into Stockholm from Nynashamn and is very easy to do. It's also only about a 10minute walk to the train station from where you get off the tender. Also, when you walk out of the port area and go left, do not go right. Follow the road along where the ferries come in and this will eventually lead you back to the walkway that most people take when walking to the train depot. It just takes out the short hill you have to climb and takes a couple of minutes off the walk.

We purchased the all day transportation ticket which was 60kr each. This gets you on all transportation you need for the day. The train takes about an hr to get into Stockholm. Once in Stockholm, we took the T to Gamla Stan and a nice woman we met at the T stop walked us down to the waters edge so we could catch the ferry to the Vasa Museum!!

It was about $90 each way. There are different prices from different companies, and some one wrote out the variations on another thread here, but this one sounded best to me. I emailed them at <inger.brihage@taxistockholm.se> to have a taxi waiting for us. The taxis hold 4 people (and they have larger taxis also for more), so the cost would be less than the Princess bus if you have four. In favor of the bus, they do give each person a map and answer questions about how to get where you want to go. There is a T.I. office near the part of Gamla Stan where you catch the ferry. I think maybe the confusion over whether or not the pass covers the ferry may be that the transportation pass does (I don't know this for sure), but the Stockholm Pass (museums, etc.) doesn't. There is an ATM a couple of blocks from the T.I. office (in the opposite direction from the ferry, but not far.)

There was a line buying tickets while we just jumped on the train. I think you can buy them from the conductor as well (not 100% positive).

My son and my parents did the same thing, they took the train to Stockholm on the 6/24 sailing of the Star. My son told me that they were going to buy tickets at a store in the town to catch the train into Stockholm, but it was closed so they figured they would just buy the tix from the conductor on the train. Well, it turned out that nobody ever came around to collect tickets. They went to the information desk when they got there and bought tickets for the return, since it was at a big station, where tickets would obviously be collected.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the transportation pass does also cover ferry rides.

Have we decided? The transportation pass covers ferry but does the Stockholm card cover the ferry ride?

I'm confused because I thought purpose of buying Stockholm card was to get bus, train, ferry transportation.

Here in Copenhagen we got the 24 Hour Transportation card and the Copenhagen card and i do think that it works in the same way as in Stockholm.

The 24 Hour transportation is valid in all busses, trains metro and the waterbus

The Copenhagen cards covers besides transportation, free or reduced intrance to museums and thinks like that.

I Hope thats explain it.

I was in Stockholm for 2 days last week on the Marco Polo which docks at Frihamnen, and bought a 24hr transportation pass for 60kroner. I decided against the Stockholm Pass as I wouldn't get full use out of it. I paid about £8 (forget how much in kroner) to get into the Vasa.

I wonder if the confusion with the ferry to Vasa is because there are a number of private ferry/cruise tour companies in the same area which are not part of the city transport system - could those that paid separately have got onto one of those? I certainly had an included ride on the ferry over to Vasa, but I noticed signs saying 'Stockholm card not accepted' at some booths.

I had great fun on a ferry, trams, buses and a trolley bus! Stockholm is such a beautiful city.

I was in Stockholm for 2 days last week on the Marco Polo which docks at Frihamnen, and bought a 24hr transportation pass for 60kroner. I decided against the Stockholm Pass as I wouldn't get full use out of it. I paid about £8 (forget how much in kroner) to get into the Vasa.

I wonder if the confusion with the ferry to Vasa is because there are a number of private ferry/cruise tour companies in the same area which are not part of the city transport system - could those that paid separately have got onto one of those? I certainly had an included ride on the ferry over to Vasa, but I noticed signs saying 'Stockholm card not accepted' at some booths.

I had great fun on a ferry, trams, buses and a trolley bus! Stockholm is such a beautiful city.

That sounds wonderful. Thanks. Are you doing a trip review?

Here in Copenhagen we got the 24 Hour Transportation card and the Copenhagen card and i do think that it works in the same way as in Stockholm.

The 24 Hour transportation is valid in all busses, trains metro and the waterbus

The Copenhagen cards covers besides transportation, free or reduced intrance to museums and thinks like that.

I Hope thats explain it.

Thanks Danish Viking.

Do you have any suggestions regarding Sweden? We arrive in Copenhagen Friday September 8 and we plan to rent a car and drive across the bridge into some of the Swedish cities:eek: and spend Saturday over there.

We'll have Friday night, Sunday and Monday to tour Copenhagen. We'll definitely buy a transportation card for Copenhagen.

There are many things to see in the in southern sweden.

Just over the bridge is Malmø/Malmoe a very beautiful city with Malmøhus Castle and st petri Kyrka/ ST peter´s Church.

Next up is the university city of Lund, where the Cathedral is very famous for the chime of bells.

Near Helsingborg there is the Sofiero Castle, former summer residence for the swedish royal family, the castle also have a huge park.

In helsingborg there is Ramlösa brunnspark where the famous Ramlösa sparkling water is made, there´s also a spa hotel at the site.

Near the harbour in Helsingborg lies the Kärnen fortress that was defending the people and collecting taxes from the ships together with Kronborg castle on the other side of the strait.

The best way to get back to Copenhagen is to take the ferry crossing to Helsingør/elsinore an drive back on the scenic Strandvejen/beach road all the way to Copenhagen.

But if there is time to visit Kronborg castle then i will recommend it.

Heres is the trip on a map, but whitout the last leg from Helsingborg to Copenhagen.

kort.gif

Thanks Danish Viking,

Malmo and Lund are exactly where we hope to end up. We hope we'll be able to get there and back and not spend 'most' of our time lost.

One other question while I've got you here. With this heat wave world wide, does it look like September will be as cool as in the past? I'm thinking we may not need anything in the way of 'fall' clothes.

Also, do you know if the new Copenhagen Island opened on schedule? I can't find any news on its' opening. Have you seen this new hotel?

Thanks for all your advice that I have read. We will be in Copenhagen August 30th for three days before the Star Princess sails. There was a Hans Christain Andersen tour to Odenes (not sure of spelling) that we were thinking of taking it was on the computer now it isn't there, do you know if there is a tour being offered? We would love to see some of the country side out side of the city.

Thank you for your help.

Delores

@ CamelliaCity.

The weather in September is not t-shirt weather but is not cold, maybe around 15 degrees celsius.

Last september was sunny and just under 20 degrees (as i remember), but the weather is unpredictable.

@ Deloresgardella.

I think that the tour to Odense is this one.

http://www.fyn.dk/article/14226

Archived