Getting Of the ship in Nynashamn

We just did it last week...made it with about 5 min to spare and we were on the 3rd tender. It all depends on when the ship gets in and opens up the tenders of course. The trick is to be down to the Explorers Lounge about 15 min before they open it up for tender tickets. If I recall it was open at 6:30am last week. Your whole party must be present and they will give you tickets for the tenders. You then wait in the lounge and they walk you down.

Also after you disembark from the tender and exit the port gate you take a left and walk along the fence towards town. Walk down the fence and then instead of turning on the road to your right (the way the signs poin "to Town") and walking up the main road, just stay down along the dock area and keep walking straight towards town along the railroad tracks and then get back on the sidewalk. You'll save yourself about 2 blocks and you wont have to go up pretty steep hill and then down again.

The train ride is long and the Stockholm visit was our least favorite port due to all the hassle of just getting there.

MTemple212 So basically just follow the railroad tracks till you get to the train station?

Almost. You'll see it when you get there but you have to go back up on the street for a few blocks since the tracks veer off slightly. It's really obvious which way to go. The only point I was trying to make was to avoid walking up and down a hill along the road, just stay low and take the low road there to save some walking and some time. You'll see the ships crew using this method and all the 'new' people following the signs and walking up the road and hill and then back down.

THanks for the tips. Now did you buy your ticket on the train or did you get it ahead of time? Do they take Credit cards?? Is there an atm machine nearby? We don't like to carry around too much cash and prefer getting money out of an atm machine when we travel overseas.

We bought the Stockholm Card online prior to leaving the states. That included all public transportation and tourist venues in Stockholm. They sell tickets at the station (crowded) and I believe you can buy them from the conductor but I'm not 100% sure about that. The train ride takes about an hour each way.

You can try that. You definitely won't have time before you leave. Here's the web link:

http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/StockholmsCard____9989.aspx?epslanguage=EN

I'm posting a complete, and very long trip, review over the next few days so watch for that over on the Princess forum. First few pages going up shortly. It's more like a book...but oh well....

During our May cruise on Star, We took a third tender, got on the shuttle fro $4.00p.p., bought one day transport ticket- paid US$$- in the newspaper kiosk, got on the 8:07 train just in time. If we would have to walk, we would have missed it. Long day - not enough time in Stockholm - but we loved it.

Wasa museum - not to be missed. Skip the guards changing - not worth the time. If you can make it to the City Hall with time - take the tour there.

Yeah, but buying a ticket for the train seems redundant since you can ride the train with the Stockholm card. I received an email from the Nynashamn tourist bureau that there is a place at the harbor receptionhut near where the tender comes in that sells the Stockholm card.

Another benefit of the Stockholm card you can use it for the bus service(took the bus from the train station to the Vasa) while in the city as well as admission to most attractions. We used it for the Vasa Museum, the Royal Palace and City hall. We really felt we got good value considering we didn't have to wait in any lines once we arrived.

The key to getting on the first train into Stockholm is to get to the Explorer's Lounge early - 6:30am, if possible. When there, go to the very FRONT of the lounge where the dance floor is - that's where they set up the table to hand out tender tickets. For June 6, everybody who was there at 6:45am got on the first tender. You must have your ENTIRE party there to get tender tickets, so MTemple212, you CANNOT get one for your wife if she is not present and ready to get off the ship. I was amazed how some people wanted to get tender tickets for their entire family before heading to breakfast at the Horizon Court!!!

Good luck, and have fun in Stockholm. We were told by John Lawrence that it takes an additional 4 hours for the ship to get into Stockholm and then it has to get out, and this is the reason why Star Princess does not dock in Stockholm harbour like all the other cruise ships. Personally, I find this hard to believe because Constellation was docked right there in the harbour and she actually beat us to Helsinki. Regardless, there is a lot to see in Stockholm and the once-hourly train from Nynashamn really cuts into the day.

Oh, and a day pass is 60SEK for 24 hours, whereas a Stockholm Card is 270SEK for 24 hours. Admission to the Vasa Museum is 80SEK. The day pass also gives you 50% off admission at Skansen. If you catch the 8:07am train in, you will need to 2:52pm train back to make the ship, giving you just a little over 6 hours in Stockholm. I think it would be difficult to maximize the value of the Stockholm Card in such a short time, but this depends on what you visit.

Hope this info helps...

Guest LetMeGo
We were told by John Lawrence that it takes an additional 4 hours for the ship to get into Stockholm and then it has to get out, and this is the reason why Star Princess does not dock in Stockholm harbour like all the other cruise ships. Personally, I find this hard to believe because Constellation was docked right there in the harbour and she actually beat us to Helsinki. Regardless, there is a lot to see in Stockholm and the once-hourly train from Nynashamn really cuts into the day.

It probably does take at least an extra three hours combined for both ways to go through the archipelago... And you would need pilot to guide you.

I suppose some cruise lines want to save a few $'s in piloting fees, and sell a few more organised excursions to the passengers.:D

No the star´s breadth is 36 meters and it will need tugboats and/or Pilots to get through oxdjupet, the Constellations breadth is about 32,5 meters.

I also think that the ships are applying for the sailing through Skærgården and the star didn´t pass. but im not sure maybe someone know a little more.

Guest LetMeGo

It can't be just because of the width (although it is of course very important. I can't believe I forgot all about it! :o ), because Costa Magica e.g. is 35 metres wide.

I guess we will never known the exact reason...

Guest LetMeGo
Does magica use azipods, maybe it can explain something.

Maybe Princess and P&O dosn´t want to pay for the tug boats/Pilots.

After a bit of searching I found out that it does, but so does the Star Princess!

There really is no logic unless they are doing it just to save a few $'s on the piloting fees.

Guest LetMeGo

I guess I should have spent a bit more time with google...:p

So Star Princess has the regular type of propulsion after all, and I'll be leaving this topic now. :o:D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and a day pass is 60SEK for 24 hours, whereas a Stockholm Card is 270SEK for 24 hours. Admission to the Vasa Museum is 80SEK. The day pass also gives you 50% off admission at Skansen. If you catch the 8:07am train in, you will need to 2:52pm train back to make the ship, giving you just a little over 6 hours in Stockholm. I think it would be difficult to maximize the value of the Stockholm Card in such a short time, but this depends on what you visit.

Hope this info helps...

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

We would like the day pass for transportation.

Question is, can we order it online and head to train station when we get off our tender? If not, where would you purchase the day pass if you did not want to stand in line at train station? Maybe standing in line at train station is unavoidable. Does the newspaper kiosk sell the day pass as well as the Stockholm card?

I know we can order the Stockholm Card online but as you stated I know that we would not maximize the value. The day pass sounds perfect for us.

Thanx

Brenda, Don't think you can get the transportation pass via online. But it's easy to get at the newspaper stand. Just make sure you are down in the explorer's lounge and sit up front by 6:30am to get your tender tickets. Make sure your whole party is with you or they won't give you the tender tickets until everyone is there for your party. Once the first tender is called you will go right from there to board your tender.

Archived