Home From Xpedition

Roland4

Surprised the heck out of me to see this thread resurrected! Obviously it was two years ago, but back then, everyone was given a DVD with a "slide show" of a selection of the naturalists' pictures. There was also a DVD that had ALL of the pictures but I don't recall if that was free or if we paid for it. I suspect drfun (who has been back since) will be able to tell you.

DVD was a gift--a collection of stock"best" pictures and pictures of the current cruise.

BTW-11 months to trip #3--Can't wait 'cause I know how great it is.

DVD was a gift--a collection of stock"best" pictures and pictures of the current cruise.

BTW-11 months to trip #3--Can't wait 'cause I know how great it is.

That's great!! It's definitely on the "do again" list but we have been busily doing Antarctica and Egypt on the "still to do" list since then. Next up are a re-visit to NZ/OZ and our first "back-to-back" experience in 2009.:)

That's great!! It's definitely on the "do again" list but we have been busily doing Antarctica and Egypt on the "still to do" list since then. Next up are a re-visit to NZ/OZ and our first "back-to-back" experience in 2009.:)

Antarctica is a must for the future when we have more time to be away from the office-with whom did you do it?Any thoughts or advice to share?How about the Amazon?

Antarctica is a must for the future when we have more time to be away from the office-with whom did you do it?Any thoughts or advice to share?How about the Amazon?

We actually did it on a segment of Crystal's World Cruise in 2007 and it was incredible! The ship cruised the Antarctic Peninsula for three days and it was some of the best cruising we have done! The icebergs and just the sheer size of everything has to be seen to be understood. Crystal also offered an excursion to a joint Chile/Russia research station from Puntarenas so we actually were "on the ground" in Antartica for about 6 hours as well. Very cold and windy, but a true "once-in-a-lifetime" experience. There are some "adventure" cruises that offer extended packages in Antarctica and also Princess and HAL both have cruises that do the same type of itinerary that we did most years as well. The seas in that part of the world can be incredibly rough but we lucked out with calm seas on both crossings of the Drake Passage. Rounding "The Horn" was also an interesting experience as well. If you are looking for something different I highly recommend it.

Have not done the Amazon. My in-laws did it a number of years ago on Princess and were disappointed by it. The river is so incredibly wide at most points (so they told us) that it was much like a day at sea on a regular cruise. We have had a few clients do it and the reviews have been mixed. Most like Manaus, but the cruising on the river is only so-so.

Great thread

Two questions, if I might

Antarctic- When you researched out the Crystal did you consider any more intensive land oriented cruises; and if yes suggestions?

Amazon- Thanks for the heads up on cruising the Amazon. Has anyone had experience with smaller guided boats on the Amazon. Planned to be in Brazil in March 09 and would love to include a 5-7 day siteseeing tour

Great thread

Two questions, if I might

Antarctic- When you researched out the Crystal did you consider any more intensive land oriented cruises; and if yes suggestions?

Amazon- Thanks for the heads up on cruising the Amazon. Has anyone had experience with smaller guided boats on the Amazon. Planned to be in Brazil in March 09 and would love to include a 5-7 day siteseeing tour

Actually no we did't. When we cruise in the winter it is to get AWAY from the cold, but this was something that looked too good to pass up. Plus Crystal is our favourite line and we are doing the full World Cruise one segment at a time until we can afford the time to do the whole thing!:D

There are a couple of companies that specialize in "small ship" expedition-type cruises that you can look into for both Antarctica and quite probably the Amazon. A couple that come to mind (and I don't now if I can name them, but I'll try) are Avalon Waterways, here in Toronto, Gateways International and of course GAP Adventures. Gateways in particular specializes in South America so they might well be able to assist you with the Amazon. I would say more but I don't want to run afoul of the moderator. I'm really not sure that I already haven't and it will be interesting to see if this post survives. (That's not a challenge. I really am not sure.:confused: )

Actually no we did't. When we cruise in the winter it is to get AWAY from the cold, but this was something that looked too good to pass up. Plus Crystal is our favourite line and we are doing the full World Cruise one segment at a time until we can afford the time to do the whole thing!:D

There are a couple of companies that specialize in "small ship" expedition-type cruises that you can look into for both Antarctica and quite probably the Amazon. A couple that come to mind (and I don't now if I can name them, but I'll try) are Avalon Waterways, here in Toronto, Gateways International and of course GAP Adventures. Gateways in particular specializes in South America so they might well be able to assist you with the Amazon. I would say more but I don't want to run afoul of the moderator. I'm really not sure that I already haven't and it will be interesting to see if this post survives. (That's not a challenge. I really am not sure.:confused: )

Roland4

Sorry I thought we could swap such information on Cruise Critics

I have found Cruise Critics a tremendous source for information on others experiences; in particular ships, guides and tour operators available in each port. You will note many posts by myself asking for such information and responses which I have used to enhance our cruise experiences

Your guidance please on the guidelines for concerns being raised by Roland

Thanks

DEAN

Roland4

Sorry I thought we could swap such information on Cruise Critics

DEAN

Hi Dean

Actually we can when it comes to cruiselines and tour companies, but GAP and Gateways sort of fall into a grey area. They are tour operators but they are also quasi-travel agencies as well. I try and err on the side of caution when it comes to recommendations here on the boards.:rolleyes:

With the possible exception of Gateways, your TA should be able to provide brochures on the others. I know we have them all even though we specialize primarily in cruises.

Larry

Archived