Prescription Drug Samples

Az_Redneck

I have some medical problems and my medicatons cost quite a bit under my insurance plan. My doctor gives me samples every month to keep me in good shape. With the recent detainment of Rush Limbaugh, I got concerned. They are not in a bottle with the doctors name. They are in the sample packets. It's too late to get a note from my doctor since we leave tomorrow morning at 6am for the airport. I need these meds but won't die without them. They're not narcotics and NO they're NOT *****! :p

What should I do? Chance it?

I am a little concerned because my allergy drops are custom made and I need to take a specific number of drops each day (the dosage increases each week. They are in a clear bottle with a dropper. I am taking the box that I get them in and the generic instruciton paper that I get for them.

Not to worry we carry all are perscriptions in a weekly planner case without any of the original bottles. We always carry it in our carry on and have never had a problem. I do however occassionally need pain meds for my back which are a narcotic and i always carry them in the original perscription bottle. HTH

By law, they have to be in a container with your name and the Doctor's name on a proper label. Whether they check or not is another matter. I always pack mine in a weekly pill box because I am too stupid to make sure I take the right ones on the right day. I am alo a physician and carry my license in my wallet. I don't think you would have a problem with sample packs but a hardass customs/DEA agent could cause problems but not very likely. If you purchase prescription meds in a foreign country, that can be a problem. I did see them confiscated from a passenger returning from Mexico. I don't lnow what he had but he had to go into that little room at the airport.

By law, they have to be in a container with your name and the Doctor's name on a proper label. Whether they check or not is another matter. I always pack mine in a weekly pill box because I am too stupid to make sure I take the right ones on the right day. I am alo a physician and carry my license in my wallet. I don't think you would have a problem with sample packs but a hardass customs/DEA agent could cause problems but not very likely. If you purchase prescription meds in a foreign country, that can be a problem. I did see them confiscated from a passenger returning from Mexico. I don't lnow what he had but he had to go into that little room at the airport.

Yeah, I want to see some stupid greenhorn DEA agent make a big issue about cholesterol and diabetes meds..I'm gonna party hearty on them I tell ya! lol

I'm just going to bring a weeks worth on my 4 night cruise and live on the edge.. :cool:

I take the little divided pill box in my carry-on luggage. However, if I were taking a prescribed controlled substance, I would make sure it was in the original bottle from the pharmacy.

Yeah, I want to see some stupid greenhorn DEA agent make a big issue about cholesterol and diabetes meds..I'm gonna party hearty on them I tell ya! lol

I'm just going to bring a weeks worth on my 4 night cruise and live on the edge.. :cool:

Yep, I can see it now. "Stand back folks, this man has Prylosec!!" (for heartburn)

On our last trip flying out of STL our group was singled out for what they call a Special Security Check. Supposedly this is done randomly. I had some prescription meds in a pill box. Diabetes meds , Zocor, and Motrin 800. Thank God I had my DRs. nurse print off a brief med history and a list of my prescription meds. They confiscated my loose pills. And told me it was airlines rules that all prescription meds must be in there original containers, all insulin must have printed labels, and insulin syringes must also be in original box with patients name imprinted on label. I guess it was my lucky day.

I am a nurse who has also traveled with the sample packs of meds (for allergies, muscle relaxers, etc). I've never (knock wood) been stopped or questioned. I think as long as the packs are sealed there is probably no problem. I think loose pills cause more alarm.

Vanessa

As far as samples go, I agree w/ GoinCruzin (Yes, I posted on the RX thread too!) A letter from your MD stating this is the medication you take and the samples are for cost reasons should keep you out of any trouble with this. I would DEFINATELY keep the samples in the original container from the manufacturer. Most companines tamper evident seal their sample packs (the foil top over the meds, a shrink wrap around the lid of the bottle or unit dose packaging) I would try to take unopened samples on board if you could, that way there is no doubt that the medication is geniune.

Same with the eye drops, if it is compounded it still should have an RX label of some kind on the box. A MD letter would be good also.

TRAVEL TIP: Get your pharmacist to print out a profile of your current prescriptions medicines. Most folks go to just one pharmacy (and if they don't they should!) and they should be able to do this for you. JCAHO, a group that accredits hospital, has a Patient Safety Goal in place for 2007 that anytime you discharge from the hospital you get a print out of the meds you were on. There are also Vial Of Life programs that allow you to put ALL your meds on a form that you can carry with you. Vialoflife.com

This is my post from the RX thread:

Yes, you can buy non-controlled prescription (or legend) medication over the counter in Mexico. It is usually a small quantity (not more than 5 days worth) in small boxes/containers. It usually carries the manufacturers name and if it is brand name, it is made in the same place the US gets their meds. There are alot of drug manufacturing plants in Puerto Rico. I saw Zoloft and Zithromax, both made by Pfizer, on the shelf in Cozumel last year.

Any Controlled medication (narcotics, pain meds) DO require an RX from a Mexican MD.

Is is legal to bring meds purchased in Mexico into the US?? NO! It is against federal law to bring prescription medication from other countries unless you hold residency in that country.

Now, if you look on your rx bottle there will be a statement: CAUTION: Federal law PROHIBITS transfer of this drug to ANY PERSON OTHER THAN THE PATIENT FOR WHOM IT WAS PRESCRIBED.

This means any time you give one of your "pills" to your friends or family YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!! You are dispensing prescription medication with out a license.

This is why Rush got in trouble. ***** is a prescription medication and because the RX had his MD's name on it he was breaking the law. There was also a case where a man was going on a date and slipped a ***** tablet into his shirt pocket. The police pulled him over for a traffic violation and he was jailed for having medication with out proof of a prescription.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you are going to carry your meds outside the confines of your home or out of the country KEEP THEM IN A LABELED RX BOTTLE! Your pharmacist can provide you with a small rx vial to keep a supply in. And those 7 DAY pill boxes, ALSO AGAINST THE LAW outside your home. My suggestion is take the pills on your ship in the seperate small bottles and put them in your pill minder when you get to your cabin. If it is a controlled drug, keep it in the bottle at all times.

(Actually this is about $10 worth of advice, but since pharmacists can't charge for giving advise *for now* ENJOY!) OR you can send the money to my PAY PAL acct!! :p

Happy Cruzin' All!

Jacquelyn :D

The only thing I would add here is only bring the minimum of what meds you need for your trip, (plus a couple of days worth, in case there are any flight delays - our 1st cruise had a snow delay of 2 days coming home).

Pack ALL your meds (including OTC stuff like bonine, immodium, vitamins, aspirin & Rolaids, etc) in your carryon - ALL together in a big zip bag - (try to use trial size original packaging to save space). (This is a good idea, anyway, in case your checked luggage ever gets lost - you'll still have all the meds you need with you.) Don't try to make it look like you're hiding anything, by inadvertently dividing meds & vitamins, etc, into different pieces of luggage.

I only keep my vitamins in a daily minder, with a handwritten label on it saying what the pills are. If that gets confiscated (hasn't yet) no big loss for me.

Sha

Archived