Foreign Traveler in U.S. Group

We are a group of 5 who will travel on the Mariner in August. One is a student from another country. He will have all his papers, passport etc, but here is my question...

Will we have to separate when we return? If I remember correctly they ask non-US citizens to meet in a specific location to disembark. Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

I think it's possible, and I am sure there are people who could answer so here's a bump to see if you get an answer. I know non-US citizens have to report to immigration in a special area of the ship before disembarcation, and a larger port may have different lines for non-us citizens also.

Anyone know how this works?

I was hauled off to immigration at Port Canaveral (I'm an immigrant, but am an American now ... long story). Anyway, after you pick up your luggage, everyone walks to an immigration officer. They inspect your passport, birth certificate, visa, whatever. If there are questions, you are taken to an immigration office. If there are concerns about what you are carrying, you will be taken to customs. DH was allowed to go with me to immigration - but I know they often will not let traveling partners in to immigration. You might want to make a plan to meet at X location if your friend is detained at all.

The suggestion to find a place to meet up ios a good one. I am just concerned that the student traveling with us may get lost. Perhaps the best thing is to ask the once we get onboard.

Any other suggestions?

Bill,

Port Canaveral isn't that large. The student won't have much of a choice but to head out to the lobby of the Port building. If you wait outside of that door, you shouldn't have any problem. Maybe when you come through the port when you embark you could discuss a meeting place and pick out somewhere at that time.

They may very well allow one or all of the traveling partners to stay with them if they go to the immigration office. Some offices are really strict about this, others have more space and allow it.

The ship probably has little detailed information on precisely what happens once you get in to immigration - so you may want to contact the Port Canaveral Port Authority and ask them for some advice. Their website is portcanaveral.org .

We are non-Americans and we have never been required to meeting a specific location in advance of disembarkation. Ther eis sometimes a different line for Americans and foreigners but they funnel through the same place.

PC does have 2 immigration lines, one US and LPR's and one Non US.

They all go through the same Inspection point and are then channeled to the baggage claim area. I would just arrange to meet at the baggage carousel that has your color luggage tags on it, and the first person through can look for the luggage for all passengers.

If the student is a minor, that is staying with and under the guardianship of one of the other travellers, they will probably let you all go through together anyway

The student is an adult (21), male and the rest of the group are all Americans. I don't think there will be a problem because he is here legally. Just trying to prepare for the unforseen possibilities...Thanks all for your responses

Canadians here also. We never were in a different line for disembarkation (Miami) however we have been sent to a different deck for U.S. Customs clearance in St. Thomas. U.S. citizens went to one deck and non-Americans went to another.

Archived