Advise Wanted for plan'n Alaska Cruise Gathering for Family & Friends

planN4all

I have much interest from family & friends interest in planning a gathering on an Alaska cruise for July, 2007. Anyone that can, please chime in to let me know suggestions. Most of us will be on small budgets, we are of all ages from kids to seniors (no babies at this time though) and won't need extensive shore excursions because the cruise time will be a reunion on the decks for all of us. I am leaning towards Carnival but still open to suggestions. I am thinking I need to have this planned rather quickly so we can start reserving rooms. Can anyone suggest a good cruise to take that won't be financially overwhelming but yet provide good days of sights and viewing?... And will offer those who can afford it convenient land trips before or after? I am a bit confused as to the one-way vs round-trip? Or the ferry boat trips... those are different -- right? We all will be coming from the lower 48 states and mostly from the west. I have a slow internet connection so it takes me hours to wade through everything and I am afraid to contact a travel agent type person at this point until I know more of what our options are...

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!

:confused:

Well, my biggest suggestion to you is to head to the free high speed internet at the library and spend a lot of time in this forum!

This is the trip of a lifetime for me and Mom and I started here and determined my priorities: see as much as possible without breaking the bank and make sure we do anything we'd later regret not doing.

I focused on itineraries within our budget first, then compared cruiselines.

For a group, I might suggest you ask for a list of MUSTS ("cabin MUST be under $1000" or "must see whales" or "no late seating for dinner") or whatever, NICE TO HAVES ("It would be nice to have a really long port time in Juneau") and CAN DO WITHOUTS ("I refuse to ride in a helicopter"). It also would be helpful to have 2 other people helping - there are a zillion details.

I knew we had to have a ship naturalist so that narrowed things down very fast because only 2 lines have them. Price and itinerary whittled the rest down pretty quickly, too.

Don't dismiss one-ways until you check air fare. The open jaw I'm doing is only $500, from Indy to Anchorage, Seattle to Indy.

It might be a good idea to go talk to a local travel agent and pick up some brochures. These are helpful in getting others in your group engaged and gives you an easier way to compare. Besides, they probably have a lot of experience in planning group trips - you might get a lot of pointers!

Good luck - remember that planning is half the fun!

I was reading a thread on the Holland America Line forum that discussed group discounts. It seems that you only need to book 8 cabins to get a "group" rate. I assume that most cruise lines have something similar. Not sure how big your reunion is going to be but you might be able to get a "group" discount to bring the price down. :)

Thank you for your input! Guess I had better plan a trip to the city and spend the day getting more info that way... just seems like there is so much to wade through. I like the idea of the input from each participant by category of wants needs have-ta's and won'ts! I'll work on that too.

Thanks for the suggestion of the discounts too -- remember that from hotel days but didn't think about it in this situation!

Appreciate the ideas!:)

Actually 4 lines have ship naturalists, Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival.

The round trip Carnival sailings are especially good since they go to Glacier Bay. Do your homework, carefully on any land touring. If you go with a cruisetour- it is the most costly and limiting option. Plenty is not disclosed so be fully aware of what you are purchasing.

Archived