Any Difference Same Room On Different Decks?

cool change

We will be sailing on a vista ship for the first time and was wondering if it really made a difference to people re: which deck they are on. We have an Sy cabin booked on Upper Verandah deck and it is not that much more money to upgrade to an SS on navigation deck. Are there any more pros/cons other than being closer to the Lido?

Some people prefer a higher deck but we prefer to be more in the middle of the ship, that is half way between both the dining room and the lido. We don't mind the distance as we always walk up and down the stairs. It is a good way of getting exercise each day.

If the cabins were the same, then I would take the lower deck and save the money to be spent on other things on the cruise.

Jennie

Looking at the deck plans for Westerdam, it looks like the SS and SY cabins are all centrally located, the difference being that the SS are two decks higher. While it might be desirable to be one flight down from Lido, pools and spa, there's a possibility there may be some noise from activity right above you early in the morning. On the lower deck you should be more insulated from any noise other than from neighboring cabins or the one above you. I think I would go with the SY, although I do like being on the higher decks.

We have been on the lowest deck and the highest: suites, jr suites, balcony cabins, etc and never seen much difference. Of course the service is more personal in a suite and the cabins larger. When we don't feel like splurging (that's most of the time) for a suite we like the mid part of the ship. As pointed out, it is more convenient to everything. As for crowds, I have yet to be on a ship where there have been more than a handful of passengers in the halls at any one time. NMnita

Thanks for the responses. We are now in an SY mid-ship. I do like to take stairs when possible, it can seem faster at times. I guess we will give the lower deck a try. I dont know if there is any difference as far as getting sea sick goes( mid- ship upper cabin has worked before). We are planning to sail starting end of October. Given that we dont know what the weather will do that time of year, I know I need to be mid-ship anyway.

Thanks for the responses. We are now in an SY mid-ship. I do like to take stairs when possible, it can seem faster at times. I guess we will give the lower deck a try. I dont know if there is any difference as far as getting sea sick goes( mid- ship upper cabin has worked before). We are planning to sail starting end of October. Given that we dont know what the weather will do that time of year, I know I need to be mid-ship anyway.

We are sailing from NY in December on the Noordam and my DH suffers from motion sickness. That's the main reason we have booked a VF on the Verandah Deck mid ship. While I've learned that there wont be much rocking (side to side) movement because of stabelizers, there might be some pitch (front to back) (if I'm wrong on the terms rocking and pitch please correct me!) movement due to waves. The motion is felt the most in the front or back of the ship. I think you made the right decision. Lower deck mid ship is what I've been told is the most stable for those of us who get sick...like my DH.

Archived