Formal Night - what percentage of men wear tuxes

harrowgirl

We are *this* close to booking - but there is no way that hubby is going to bring/rent a tux to wear. Is he going to look way out of place/not be admitted? About what percentage of men wear tuxes on formal night (he will wear a nice suit and tie)

We will be on the Galaxy

We are *this* close to booking - but there is no way that hubby is going to bring/rent a tux to wear. Is he going to look way out of place/not be admitted? About what percentage of men wear tuxes on formal night (he will wear a nice suit and tie)

We will be on the Galaxy

Based on our 8 Celebrity cruises to date, I'd say 75% wear tuxes, but this is just a guess. Suit and tie will be perfectly okay.

We will be on the Galaxy

It will approxiately 50/50, depending on the ship and the time of the year. he will not be out of place in a nice suit and tie. NMNita

I used to wear a suit and tie and would never rent one or buy one for a cruise.

Several years ago, I was in the situation that I needed a Tux for three times in about a month period. It was cheaper for me to buy one then rent one for this time.

Since then I have brought my tux on the cruises.

While I would not rent one or buy one for one cruise, since I own one I bring it.

On my first cruise....Years ago, I rented a tux.

The next cruise I was able to wear a dark suit, but I felt I was disappointing myself in doing so.

I now own both a black tux and an off white dinner jacket. I always pack both unless it is a 3 - 5 day cruise where I just bring the dinner jacket.

I would have to agree with most that between 50% and 75% wear tuxes, 20% wear suits and the others shouldn't be allowed in the diningroom at all during formal evenings.

1/3 of the cruise is the experience/ambience. the next third is the tradition, and following is the 'my stuff".

Now that they have relaxed the dress codes to allow DARK SUITS, they are becoming more and more popular. What is a tux, well, it IS a dark suit, period. So It does work with this logic.

Harrowgirl. 'Nice' does not mean dark. Dark means Black, Navy, or Charcoal. All of these are acceptable. Dark 'Orange' or 'olive' do not fit into this description, just to make a point. However its better to see a fellow gentleman in a pinstrip blue and grey suit as opposed to a pair of khakis and a tie.

For the tie, it sholud be neutral in a suit. Plain burgandy, black, dark grey. The color should compliment the outfit YOU are wearing. Most likely you may want a formal photo....what do you want to look at on your wall for the next 10 years? how do you want to be remembered?

I am going through this right now with my parents. Last time we cruised together they HAD to dress for dinner. There was no casual night. I have suggested my to my father to wear his plain black suit in lieu of a tux, and sent my mom a few ties to chose what works best with the outfit she hasn't picked out yet. I have also instructed them that he will wear his navy balzer and khakis for INFORMAL nights, with one of the ties.

Sorry, but as a seasoned cruiser I really hate to see the quality of formal and informal nights going down hill. And as an Elite member of X I push the 'Suggested codes". However if you choose not to dress appropriately there is always the casual dining venues.

Dave:eek:

I disagree with these numbers, at least on the cruise I was just on. No more than 1/3 of the men were wearing tuxes. Most of the rest were in dark suits, and there were a few in violation of the dress code.

I disagree with these numbers, at least on the cruise I was just on. No more than 1/3 of the men were wearing tuxes. Most of the rest were in dark suits, and there were a few in violation of the dress code.

My cruise was a Panama Canal cruise in February. The tux population was quite significant - at least in the late seating formal dining room.

My cruise was a Panama Canal cruise in February. The tux population was quite significant - at least in the late seating formal dining room.

I was late-seating, formal dining room, too. Perhaps Alaska is just more casual...

it seems 50-75% wear a tux,but a dark suit is not by any strech out of place or frown upon.I wear a tux . there is always someone at the table in a suit and thats no problem.In fact we sat at the Captains table last cruise and a couple of the guys wore suits.Wear whatever you like best.........Frank:)

I always wear a tux because my wife like to see me at my best. Nothing improves the looks of a guy like a tux does... ( I guess I have watched too many James Bond movies). There is nothing wrong with a suit...but a tux usually does a woman proud. The percentage with tuxes varies with the cruise you're on. On Galaxy's transatlantic this year I would guess it approached 75%. On the Mediterranean sailing the following week I would guess only half that much.

Does anybody know what it costs to rent a tux onboard? Is the price they give you per day or a per week price or what?

Mark

Celebrity lists this nunber. I think it's close to $100 for the week. You can also rent a dinner jacket and a tux for variety.

Cruiseline Formalwear

Phone: 1-800-551-5091

Harrowgirl,

We've been on one or two X crusies over the last couple of years ;). The only cruise that the majority of gentlemen wore a tux, was on our Transatlantic in 2000. All the others were on average of 35-45% wore a tux or dinner jacket. I wear black double breasted suits on formal nights, and have had many compliments from tux and dinner jacket wearing pax.

Tell you DH to dress comfortable and enjoy the the cruise. He will not be an eyesore. A big BUT!!! The way he dresses will either compliment or take away from all the hard work that you put into to look absolutely stunning :D.

The cost is $85 for basic black/white dinner jacket, 2 shirts and tie/cummerbund. It is more if you want to "upgrade" to a fancier vest/tie combo.

On our 14 day cruise it was easy 75% in tuxes that I saw at late dining. But it was an older crowd and a longer cruise. You won't see as many on a 7 day cruise. After 7 cruises, my DH finally relented and rented one only because the other 3 men were also renting. Now he is committed to doing it every time just so he doesn't have to drag the suit along.

While I sometimes disagree with some of the "fussier" X fans (dare I say "stuffy" - oops, I just did! :D ) I definitely agree that the suit should be DARK.

It isn't that a man can't look nice in an olive or tan or seersucker outfit. There's a time and place for those choices. But dressing that way for an evening dining experience is only going to make that man stand out like a sore thumb. It's one thing to have people look you over because you're dressed really nice, or maybe even because you got lucky in the looks department. It's quite another thing to catch people's glances because your choice of colors is inducing migraines in the dining room.

I dislike tuxes. Don't own one, don't like to wear one, though of course when a friend's wedding requires it, one must bend with the wind. For me, in just about any other situation that calls for "formal" attire but allows for a suit, I'm there in a suit.

A dark suit. :D

Oh, and FWIW/IMO, the choice of tie is not similarly constrained. Ties in all kinds of patterns and colors can work. That's not to say there aren't a lot of ugly ties out there, and some of those can induce headaches too, but in general ties are much more a matter of taste and one should not feel unduly put off by anyone else's opinion. In fact, given that a dark suit or tux limits a man's expression of style, a well-chosen but unique tie can make the difference between looking like every other duck in the room and looking, as Billy Crystal used to say, maaaah-velous.

2003: the Connie, about 50-60% were in tuxes and the gals long gowns, even the little kids: they looked so cute: Zenith: 2005 about 30% or a little more were wearing tuxes, many were just wearing sport jackets. This was 5 night cruise. I think the longer the cruise, the more formal.

NMNita

On our Summit cruise a couple of years ago, there was a couple on formal night where the man, who was probably 45-50, was wearing a Harley t-shirt and jeans and a ponytail. The woman was wearing a beautiful floor-length gown. They got into a public argument when he was insisting that they have a formal picture taken, and she was adamant about not doing so because of her humiliation at what he was wearing. The man was from New York (not that there's anything wrong with that...:D ) and kept saying that he was a New Yorker and nobody told New Yorkers what to wear. He was very loud and was making such a scene that she finally tearfully gave in.

We had been on an excursion along with this couple the day before and the man was loud and obnoxious to the point where several passengers finally just asked him if he could please keep his voice down and quit complaining.

Anyway, one of our tablemates was in the ladies' room when the t-shirt guy's wife entered in tears. The woman confessed that she was mortified at her husband's attire and the scene he had caused and was going to file for divorce as soon as she got home.

So, the moral of this story, guys, is that just because your wife goes along with it doesn't mean she isn't embarrassed by you and ashamed of you because of your childish need to "defy" the wishes of your fellow passengers and the cruise line.:eek: Just put your "me, me, me" attitude aside and wear a tie for the sake of your wife. She will be very grateful and probaly demonstrate her gratitude later that night.:D

Allen

Archived