Ahhhhh...First Cruise Jitters

My daughter (18 years old) and I our taking our very first cruise on Explorer 7/14/06 to the Eastern Caribbean. It is all so overwhelming that we don't know where to begin and/or what excursions to take etc. How about seasickness (neither of us get motion sickness). Is there anything that we need to know that those of you on previous cruises have learned? Thanks...Deb

Deb, I can tell you where to start. Come over to our thread for this cruise. We have over 100 pages of commentary regarding the upcoming cruise and enough people there to help you out. You can find us at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=195525&goto=newpost

Also, have you signed up for the meet and mingle. The links is at the top of this page and you can register there up tp 3 days before we sail.

I will start with the initial information. Seasickness, that is an individual thing but I can tell you that the Explorer is a very large ship and it will take a lot to get her moving. We were on a sister ship (Voyager)last year and the highest swells we had were 8 feet and we did see motion against the horizon and water sloshing in the pools but we never felt a thing. We are taking Ginger tablets starting a few days before and one a day on the ship. That should help.

Come over to the thread and we can continue the discussion there along with everyone else that will join in.

Oh by the way, I know how you feel because last year was our first cruise and we are still feeling it for this one as well. We are very excited about going. We have a great group of people and a great ship to be on. You will see that ome of us cruised together on the Voyager and had such a great time that we booked this cruise this year while we were on board Voyager last year.

Come on over and join in the fun.

Deb Take a deep breath. Now start by reading these boards as much as possible. If you would feel the need for any seasick meds you can get them at the pursers desk. There is a thread some were on these pages about tricks and tips. It has alot of helpful hints. Finally, enyoy your cruise. We have all been there at one time,so I know how you feel. Judi :)

There are a couple things you definately should take with you. A power strip; the electrical outlets in the cabin are too few and rarely where it's convenient. Plus if you will have multiple gadgets, you won't want to charge only one at a time.

Also take along a large plastic tumbler for iced tea/lemonade. The ship, of course will have glasses, but they are never big enough.

Deb. First, get ready for the time of your life. Cruising is the best vacation.

There are lots of places you can go here for information. I recommend the boards on the individual ports for information about shore excursions and what to see and do.

As for seasickness, I get sick just looking at a puddle of water, but 1/2 bonine (available over the counter) just before bed each night does the trick. I've been in 18 foot swells when everyone else on the ship seemed to be getting sick and I've been just fine.

...Rob

Each night in your cabin you will receive a "Cruise Compass" which lists all the activities, etc. for the following day. Be sure to look at it so that you don't miss something that might have interested you....

I doubt seasickness will bother you. Don't think about it.

Bring a travel coffee mug if you're into that. Then you can take it away from the buffet if you like.

Ziplocs come in handy. Any medicine you might need. Throat drops, tums, ibuprofen, bandaids, anything you don't want to buy from the on-board shops which extort money form you if you are in an unfortunate position. Bring bottled water if you are a big drinker. Some bring it in by the case with baggage stickers on it. Same with soda. It's too funny but if you want it you shouldn't pay double for it.

Don't forget the sunblock and a hat or visor is helpful. Comfortable shoes are a must and something easy to slip on for the cabin, pool..

I like my own pillow but I am getting to be a germophobe. Purell in sample bottles for excursions etc. A teeny can of Lysol if you want to spray the bath, remote, doorknobs etc. I never do it but I think about it.

If you want a free spa treatment run to the spa when you get on (if you are early). They need a couple models each week for when people tour the facilities. Also, they usually have a drawing on the first day there. Make sure you are there if you enter, must be present to win. They give away a massage, facial and a few other things. At least Celebrity does and I think RC too.

If you like a particular drink you can bring it. I often take juice to have in my room fridge.

My daughter and I sail Granduer together in Sept. It is our 2nd mother-daughter in the past three years.

Have a ball, you made a good decision.

Deb,

Our cruise director from the Mariner(one of the sister ships) asked the new cruisers to stand up. There were as many new cruisers as experienced ones. You will be in good company. The new cruisers raved about the cruise and couldn't wait to sign up for another one. You are in for a real treat. Cruising probably isn't for everyone(like people that don't like to be around others or ones that like to stay in ports longer). The ship you are on will have lots of activities and you will meet many people. I am very shy but I can't believe how comfortable a cruise will make you feel.

Rabbitlady:)

Explorer is a great ship! You will have a great vacation! Even if you drink tons of water, I've never seen the need to lug it aboard! The ship's water is just fine--if you ask for ice water at any bar, they will gladly give it to you--no charge. You will have ice in your cabin--Don't see a need for bottled water! If you're a huge soda drinker, buy the soda card. If you don't drink soda all day, you can buy them as you want them. I'd rather pack more shoes than use up my luggage allowance with sodas and water!

We went on our first cruise in March and are going again in September. It is addictive!

I took everything that everyone on the boards advised, and didn't wind up using half of it. Yes, take medications, lots of sunscreen and hats. Take a couple of bathing suits so they can dry between uses. The ship will provide you with towels for the pool. There are laundry, dry cleaning and pressing services available for a cost. Take a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release if you're concerned about wrinkles (I am). There is a small blow dryer on board. If you don't have lots of stuff to plug in, don't bother with the power strip. I forgot panty hose for my dresses and went bare. No one noticed!

Let the photographers take your picture before dinner at at port. The pictures are free until you buy them. Smile and enjoy!

Take shampoo, conditioner and body wash. The stuff in the stateroom isn't fancy hotel quality.

I drink a lot of water and found that the stuff in the dining room and Windjammer was just fine. We did bring extra plastic glasses with us, and never used them. Only you can decide if you feel that you need to carry a drink with you at all times. When I did need a bottle of water, like when we were at port somewhere, I bought a bottle at a store for a buck or two.

Hope you have a really wonderful time!

Hi...one thing I learned is it doesnt take long to be addicted to cruising (or to get addicted to these boards for that matter--these boards are a wealth of information...you will find anything you want to know ...use the search to find specific topics)

One thing I was suprised to discover on my first cruise was how much I enjoyed dinner in the dining room...you are seated at a large table with other cruisers...I was nervous about this at first..what would I have in common with these strangers?...I was delighted to remember that first I had the cruise in common and after the conversation started I quickly became confortable and looked forward to dinner each nite to chat and see what my table mates had been up to, what excursions and activites they had done and they wanted to know about mine too...we even exchanged email addresses at the end of the cruise and commented how strange it was going to be not seeing these people at dinner after the cruise.

You will have agreat time and prepare to be anxious to book your next cruise...

Explore the ship ... enjoy everything...watch a sunset and watch a sunrise...it is so beautiful on the water...:)

I like to take extra ziplocs...you never know what is going to spill. When packing I put sunscreen in one, toiletries in one, anything that might spill all over anything else in a ziploc. Then I also pack a few extras just in case. No matter what...enjoy your cruise! You will have a blast.

Thanks everyone for what you have posted. I feel that we will be in for the thrill of a lifetime. You have all given me such good advice. :D deb

PS.....Labchick....i'm from Norristown (near Valley Forge)

Deb:

1. Take a roll of duct tape--which I never used until our last cruise. It sounds funny but it is useful. My daughter's luggage broke and we were able to tape it up. We forgot our lint brush and used it for that as well. There are a million uses and it doesn't take up much space.

2. Another great hint I got from these boards--as someone said here have the cruise take as many pics as you can--but the important thing to know if you want to save a little money is--don't buy the pics every day. In other words, we used to think that the next day when the pics from the night before were available, if we didn't buy them, the ship would discard them. Everyday when you look at your pics, pick the ones you like and put them together in one place (give them the ones you definitely don't want to discard). AT THE END of the cruise (the last evening), go through the pics you chose from the week and AT THAT TIME pick the ones you like. On previous cruises we bought them almost every night and way over-spent. This time, we only picked the ones we truley loved.

3. Take advantage of the "Ports" section of the CC website. I have gotten such amazing advice there. It really helped me to make decisions about what to do and not do that I probably never would have known about on my own.

Enjoy!

Just reread my post.

To clarify about the photos--you give the photo people the pics that you don't want--and they will discard them. The ones you want you should keep together and put back on the display boards--adding new pics that you like to them each day until the end of the cruise.

Sorry if that sounded confusing.

Archived