Potential Carnival Cruiser - Need Cabin Help

Max Circus

Hi - I've taken three cruises in the past, all on Royal Caribbean. Considering a January cruise on Carnival from Tampa (Miracle). There would be four of us: Me, my wife, my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law. Age ranges late 30's to mid 40's.

We'd want two balcony cabins. Looking online, I see 8 categories of balcony cabins (8A - 8I). What's the difference between these categories? Size? Amenities?

Guest YesitDonna

The only difference is the floor you are on, the cabin is the same. 8A would be on the lowest deck and then go upward from there.

And I'd like to add that you will be pleased by the cabin space you will have. Carnival cabins are much larger than RCCLs. I was surprised a few weeks ago that my RCCL OV cabin was so small. (Very nice cruise, however.) ;) Have fun!

Hi - I've taken three cruises in the past, all on Royal Caribbean. Considering a January cruise on Carnival from Tampa (Miracle). There would be four of us: Me, my wife, my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law. Age ranges late 30's to mid 40's.

We'd want two balcony cabins. Looking online, I see 8 categories of balcony cabins (8A - 8I). What's the difference between these categories? Size? Amenities?

Hi Max, there is a website www.cruiseclues.com that show all kinds of things, they have pictures of cabins in there somewhere too :D enjoy

OPn the spirit class ship

8 A, B, D,F & H are regular balconies...depending on the deck/location.

the higher you go the more you will pay,

C, E, G & I are extended balconies with a bigger balcony. again the higher you go the more you pay.

deck 4 (main deck) starts with the 8A and 8C

a 7A is an obstucted balcony--the lobstruction being a lifeboat is outside the railing. Your view out is fine. you jsut cant look down into the waters.

A 8A guarantee is the way some people book-- you are at least guaranteed a cat 8 or above balcony somewhere on the ship.

Category 9s are extended balconies if you want to add that to your list.

Actually we had an 8a and it was extended (L-shaped) and our balcony was 75 sq ft. 9a are the wraparounds.

Max Circus--

You sound just like me! I just finished my first Carnival cruise after having cruised with RCCL three times. I had a cat. 8I extended balcony (on Legend), and I loved it! You're going to have a great time!

I would definitely suggest going with the extended balcony. Mine was an okay size, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted it any smaller.

Since there will be 4 of you I would definitely go with an extended balcony. I realize you'll have separate cabins but you may want to enjoy some time together on the balcony. If you have side by side balconies you can have the balcony divider remove to make one long balcony.

Max Circus--

You sound just like me! I just finished my first Carnival cruise after having cruised with RCCL three times. I had a cat. 8I extended balcony (on Legend), and I loved it! You're going to have a great time!

I would definitely suggest going with the extended balcony. Mine was an okay size, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted it any smaller.

Thanks for the info. I'm curious - what did you find better (if anything) on Carnival as compared to RCCL? Anything worse?

Thanks for the info. I'm curious - what did you find better (if anything) on Carnival as compared to RCCL? Anything worse?

the aft cabins on the Voyager were by far the best superior to CArnivals afts. The voyager afts were phenomenal. HUGE. We had 2 lounge chairs/ 2 reg chairs plus a small table. AND enough room for a party for about 20 CC members.

Food and service for us was the same. I prefer carnival because of their night life. Carnival gave us better choices on what to do at night besides what night club to listen to what music. (although the parades and ice show on Voyager were fantastic)

and after 9 cruises we can only remember the names of our waitstaff on the VOyager as they really stood out among the rest. above and beyond. (first and only time we wore cruise critic stuff during dinner so that could be the reason why_

Pizza on Carnival was better as is their 24 hour ice cream machines. everytime we tried on Voyager it was down. broken or getting cleaned.

(plus carnival is cheaper for us)

...... what did you find better (if anything) on Carnival as compared to RCCL? Anything worse?

Carnival - Larger cabins, MUCH better food, 'Tea Time' on sea day afternoons, espresso and cappuccino complimentary w/all three meals in dining room - had to pay on RCCL. Cruise was much less than what I paid on recent RCCL.

Entertainment about the same. Crew/staff about the same. :)

we had the extended balconies booked on the oct miracle and the ladies in my party......(1 man 5 ladies in 3 adjoining cabins) had me change to regular balconies because the extended have the life boats sticking out under them(you have no down view).........we loved the view from the front of the Triumph(wave crashing the hull)......we will open the dividers so space won't seem bad.

The balconies near the front of the upper deck are extended with no life boats when looking down and according to the deck plans, the rooms seem to be about 4 ft longer........I realized this too late and couldn't get 3 cabins in a row so the ladies said forget it.....also the showroom is underneath them(don't know about noise).......I'm going to book them when we go back with the kids next year.

Actually we had an 8a and it was extended (L-shaped) and our balcony was 75 sq ft. 9a are the wraparounds.

Not on the Spirit class, which includes the Miracle. On the Spirit class ships cat 9 is a larger cabin and balcony, on the starboard side of the ship (there are no cat 9 cabins on the port side of the ship). The cabins with wrap-a-round balconies at cat 11 cabins on the Spirit class ships.

Archived