cruising x-mas/new years

stephanie76

I was wondering if any of you have cruised either holiday or both? I want to know if it is worth the extra $. I would envision a huge New Years Eve Party and beautiful x-mas dinner. Do they decorate for x-mas on the ships? If it really is not much different it would not be worth the $ to me.

We have cruised over New Year's on both HAL and Carnival. They were both great. I would have to say that HAL's was less kid friendly (we don't have young children so it wasn't a problem for us) and Carnival was more family oriented.

Carnival had a big deck party on New Year's eve. HAL had parties in several rooms including their main lounge which was like going to a nightclub in New York - big orchestra and lots of dance music.

It was well worth the extra money to cruise at the holiday time.

Our Carnival cruise was still decorated for Christmas when we boarded but our HAL ship was not.

We were on the Legend this past New Years Eve, Christmas decorations were still up. There was a big party on the Lido Deck. Kind of felt like being in Times Square on New Years Eve!!!! Honestly we had a nice time. Was it worth the extra money - thats a personal matter. We've already booked another cruise and would have like to do it again over New Years Eve but didn't want to go back to the same ports. We've booked the Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty. I don't think I'd like to be on a cruise for Christmas.

We were on the Legend this past New Years Eve, Christmas decorations were still up. There was a big party on the Lido Deck. Kind of felt like being in Times Square on New Years Eve!!!! Honestly we had a nice time. Was it worth the extra money - thats a personal matter. We've already booked another cruise and would have like to do it again over New Years Eve but didn't want to go back to the same ports. We've booked the Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty. I don't think I'd like to be on a cruise for Christmas.

Im doing the Legend this New Years with my 3 kids I hope it is as good as you say. Now I really can't wait

Our experience on a holiday cruise, New Year's, was horrible.

First of all, the ship's propulsion system was broken, so we cruised in circles 60 miles off the coast of Mobile for four days. Not fun. Bad weather.

Second, the ship was absolutely packed! We talked to people who had booked two cabins and ended up in the same cabin because of overbooking. CCL charges extra for these cruises, and the most money they can make off of them is what their goal is. The ship was extremely crowded. There were others who paid for specific cabins and got downgraded. They were spitting mad, but couldn't do anything.

We were all (and I am not exageratting, 90% of the people on the ship wanted off) so cross that I cannot really remember the decorations, but I think the Christmas decorations were left up. They were not that special on the Holiday.

The food and the staff were excellent, but that didn't quite make up for everything else.

Personally, I will never do another holiday cruise. I believe the cruise lines (all of them) overcharge when there is a holiday for an extra bottle of champagne. I also believe they overbook, trying to get the absolute most for their dollar.

This was the only bad cruise we've ever had, out of, I've lost count, about 15 or 16.

Apparently others have had great cruises over holidays. That seems to be the majority, so you may want to go for it. But me, never again.

Just my two cents worth!

Shay

Oh, and just so you know, CCL only gave us back our port fees. No discounts on future cruises, nothing.

Archived