Question about unpacking and wrinkle worries!

lilly707

Help! We just finished packing for our trip on Thursday for our land tour and cruise. We're flying United and they only allow 2 checked bags per person. Our suitcases are packed to the gills and just under the alloted 50 pounds. How will we ever get some of the wrinkles out? Will the steward bring an iron to your cabin or will I have to go to the laundry room to iron. Any tips from you experienced cruisers? Thanks.

Downey wrinkle release works... or a spray bottle fullof water sprtiz then hang it up.

You wont get an iron for the cabin--its a safety hazard. (thought all princess ships have a laundry room- (dont wait til formal night to iron either--it will be crowded.

I pack inlayers of plastic between the clothes.

If you are very wrinkled when you unpack, you have three choices. Downey wrinkle release, that works well on some things we have found, but not on others. Spend several hours in the self service laundry pressing out all those wrinkles, or send everything out to be pressed when you arrive.

Enjoy a wrinkle free sailing. :)

Check the Princess Pater for laundry specials. They had a special for $15 all you could fit in the laundry bag. I put about 15 items in the bag and asked for it all to be pressed only. It was great I didn't have to stand in the laundry room, so the $15 was worth it. They did it very early in the cruise.

Or another option - hang the stuff up on hangers in the bathroom, then take a hot, steamy shower. :)

What she said. I do this for everything, but my formal wear. In the future look into a formal dress in jersey fabric. I have one with a hint of lycra in it and that thing can't hold a wrinkle to save its life. I had it balled up in a heap for three months while I put beads on it and it looked as fresh as if it was just pressed.

Not sure where I got this tip - may have been right here at CC - but DH and I have been "rolling" our clothing (instead of folding) when we travel. The rolled clothing takes up less space in our luggage, and rarely, if ever, needs ironing. We unpack and hang everything as soon as possible.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

If anything looks wrinkled after hanging for a while, I just send it out to be pressed. If items are just pressed, the price is less than having them cleaned. The cost is not much when added to everything else. I think it is worth it. The last thing I want to do while on a cruise is laundry.

Some people don't bother getting their formal wear dry cleaned before their cruise, they just toss them in their suit case and have them cleaned on the ship. The price is about the same. I think I will try this next time.

I'm far from an expert, but I picked up some excellent packing tips from Anne Mcalpin's video, PACK IT UP.

Especially helpful was the segment on minimizing wrinkles.

Anne's book/DVD combo is available online:

http://www.travelessentials.com/department/Anne_McAlpins_Favorites/Pack_It_Up_Book/page1.html

Anne also has a web site that includes a number of travel tips. Of course, she's flacking "her" products, but who isn't:) :

http://www.packitup.com/pilot.asp

I sometimes pack a small steamer -- not a steam iron, but a travel steamer. It's quite small and works like a charm. Great for touching up the tux or evening wear. It doesn't get hot, so there's no fire hazard. I think mine came from Magellan's, but there are several versions. As I recall, it was about $20.

[/url]9494_1_1?&op_sharpen=1&qlt=80,1&hei=85&wid=85

Archived