Laptop Safety

The laptops won't fit in the safe (maybe the tiny ones would), and schlepping them down to the purser's desk would probably get to be such a hassle that taking the risk of theft would end up being preferable to doing that 3-4 times per day.

I just don't think the risk is all that great. I certainly wouldn't leave the laptop on a table while I went to the bathroom, just as I wouldn't leave my camera, but the room, while not entirely secure, is still a pretty safe place.

All of the RCI ships have Wifi now. I think for a longer cruise we're going to try the in-cabin set up - we were able to get reception in our cabin on Vision, but not on Monarch, and you can't use the C&A 20 free minutes coupon with wireless. The access is faster, but at the cheapest price of $.33/minute, on a long cruise, that would add up quickly.

Hello all~~

Brian and I travel with our Macs and have had little trouble getting them to work in our cabin---$100 for 7 day cruise. We have not yet sailed on the Mariner, and we have not yet bothered to use the ship WiFi because we get the in cabin service. I am cutting and pasting this instructional guide that Brian wrote a while ago. It looks more complicated than it is; just patiently follow the directions:

1) Go to front desk and tell them you have a windows PC. Do not tell them you have a Mac. This is essential. Like unknowing robots, they are told to tell you that the ships don't support Macs; their IT staff is indeed PC only.

They will gave you a special cable, and a slip of

paper with an extention number to call.

2) In your room plug the "Fat" connector into the wall port

Labeled INTERNET. Plug the "THIN" end into your machines

modem port.

3) Under the apple symbol in the top left corner pull down to

"LOCATION" then select "NETWORK PREFRENCES"

4) Once in the preference window, under the heading "Location"

choose "new location" name it "CRUISE"

5) Now Select from the option "Show" the line that says

"Network Port configurations"

6) Now UNCHECK everything EXCEPT Modem. You should have one

box checked and it should be the Modem.

7) Now return to "Show" and select "Internal Modem"

8) Make sure the window has the tab labeled PPP highlighted.

9) enter the 4 digit extension the desk gave you into the line

labeled "Telephone Number", you may also enter it into

the line marked "Alternate"

10) all the other boxes should remain blank

11) Now click the tab labeled "Proxies"

Make sure that there are NO BOXES CHECKED

12) Click the button at the bottom labeled "Apply Now"

13) Click the tab labeled PPP

14) Click the button labeled DIAL NOW

15) You should now connect to the ships server.

16) Launch Safari, you should be online

I hope that this will help some people on their cruise vacations. I feel a bit of a challenge coming on----what a great excuse to book another cruise: "Dear---we must book the Mariner, just to see if we can get our machines to work!!" I will come up with any excuse to cruise!!!! LOL :)

Bons voyages to all~~

Leslie

Thank you so much for posting this... just wish we had it with us on board the ship. I will have to save it for our next cruise! :D

Same over here, always take my laptop for Internet and picture storing.

I don´t upload pics to the web, just to much of a hassle for me with those low connections. But like it better for storage.

Never had any security concerns and I have it always out and in sight on the desk.

Thank you so much for posting this... just wish we had it with us on board the ship. I will have to save it for our next cruise! :D

I remember your posts from when you were on the cruise!! We did post this for you, but obviously you and others were having plenty of troubles getting online, so sadly, you never got it.

Well---we all must keep on cruising to try this out over and over again, no? LOL

Leslie

We'll be taking our laptop to entertain our 2 yr old GS with videos if he gets moody. Glad to hear no one has had problems. Don't think we'll get on the internet in the cabin, we just check our email once a day. Thanks for bringing up a good subject!

We don't need to upload photos from our digital cameras as we have 4GB memory cards.

Has anyone used a Pocket PC (with built-in Wi-Fi) on any RCI ship? We are contemplating taking a Pocket PC/Cell phone to check the web and e-mail, etc. on our next cruise.

LL

We don't need to upload photos from our digital cameras as we have 4GB memory cards.

And I have multiple cards totaling 8GB. You are missing the point. What may look nice on a 1.5 inch screen might not look so good on a 15 inch screen. I use my laptop to view the photos. I store the photos on the laptop and on a back up hard drive I bring along.

...and what looks good on a 15.5 inch screen looks different on a 24" LCD at home, especially when taking 8.2 MP RAW photos... we keep our RAW photos on the memory cards and do our editing at home... different strokes.

Any feedback on the Pocket PC questions?

LL

...and what looks good on a 15.5 inch screen looks different on a 24" LCD at home, especially when taking 8.2 MP RAW photos... we keep our RAW photos on the memory cards and do our editing at home... different strokes.

Then try medium RAW. :)

Archived