Private tours in Rio

keltic

I have just received the excursions in Rio from Costa and they are really bad. So I am thinking about taking a private tour for one. I know Brazil has a big security problem and wouldn´t like to sightseeing alone. Could anyone recommed a good company for private tours there?. I would appreaciate also information in Ilhabela, Ilheus and Salvador.

We booked our wonder Rio trips through http://www.southstartours.com here in the States before we left. They broker with a lot of operators all over South America. We had great guides and lots of fun and saved money over what the cruise line was charging for similar trips, but we got more personal attention. When they took us to the airport the last day (after our trip to Petropolis) they stayed with us until we were all checked in and through security (which was not sometime we expected).

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend Peter (Pedro) of http://www.privatetours.com.br. As others have said, he is delightful. He picked us up at 8:00 at the ship and returned us at 8:00 p.m. just in time for dinner at 8:15. We went everywhere in his jeep and I checked with him afterwards and we drove over 100 miles that day. That included spending time in an "off the beaten path banana plantation, rum plant, seeing 43 beaches, Tijuca National Park, Grumari tour (hike in rainforest), feeding the monkeys at Sugar Loaf with the banana we got at the plantation, etc, etc. He picked us up in time to get to Christ the Redeemer before all the tour busses got there. He was very concerned about our safety. I remember as soon as we met him, he had us take our shirts and put them outside of our pants to hide billfolds, etc. (Of course my husband and I use money belts in various places and all the money we needed that day was to pay him anyway) He took us to a local buffet restaurant and we had a delightful meal very reasonably. It was quite an adventure in his little jeep for us and our friends, but one to never be forgotten.

Archived