Rhodes for 8h - see Lindos or no?

We're travelling on a Celebrity cruise to Rhodes later this year and we have 8h there. The ship has a trip to Lindos that takes 4.5h. I want to see the Lindos Acropolis but if we take the tour it's basically going to leave us (2 1/2?) hrs to to see 'everything else.' The other things we want to see are old town and Mandraki Harbor where the Colossus stood. (I couldn't find any tours that take less than 4h to Lindos.) For those who've been there or live there, what would you do? :confused:

Also, how far of a walk is it from the cruise ship to Mandraki harbor? It seems close on the map but I'm not sure how far it is in reality.

Thanks.

I can't answer your question about the walk from the port but ...

I have been to Rhodes on a package holiday. Lindos is lovely but for the amount of time that you have I would stay in Rhodes old town. There is loads to see - a scenic harbour, a maze of streets and alleys, loads of historical buildings and some great, cheap restaurants.

If you do want to see Lindos, there are lots of taxis in Rhodes old town, they are reasonble (although the guy that we had did complement me in a rather unexpected way ... 'I like the English girls, big melons, real melons, no silicon!')

Jane

x

You could always rent a car and drive to Lindos the roads are paved ..then you don't have to spend 4 hrs there....leave if you are done sooner.

The Old town is within walking distance to docks you wouldn't know where Colossus was unless someone pointed it out to you ...just 2 cement piers at the entrance.

enjoy the cruise

Like LHT has said, you can walk to the harbor although there is nothing left of the Colossus other than memories. Lindos is a tough call and really depends on you. There are some tourists who love going to this kind of site and others that could care less. When you get to Lindos you will walk up a narrow street past all types of hawkers selling Lindos T-shirts, rubber ducks (only teasing) and other types of tourist junk. The ruins are truly ruined although you will get a nice view of the sea. We have been to Rhodes 4 times and I think our best day was when we simply went to one of the major beaches and enjoyed sun and sand. In fact, Rhodes is very popular with the Brits for just this reason,,,it is a good sea resort with excellent sandy beaches and clean water (both in short supply in most of Europe). You will be able to explore Rhodes Town (both old town and new town) by simply walking from the pier, but you will need transportation to go anywhere else on this large island. You can use taxis, rent a car, or even use the public bus system (not a good option for Lindos).

Hank

What period interests you? Rhodes Town is Medieval, Lindos is Ancient. We found we had plenty of time to wander the streets in R-town after our Lindos excursion. We docked right across from one of the major entrances to the walled city.

it is a good sea resort with excellent sandy beaches and clean water (both in short supply in most of Europe). You will be able to explore Rhodes Town

Hank

Clean water and sandy beaches are not in short supply! What about England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France etc, etc ...

Jane

(indignant European)

• 1 month later...

We loved the Rhodes old town area. We were able to get to the archaelogical museum shortly after they opened and for a while had the place almost to ourselves. We spent most of the day wondering around and had a great time and would be very happy to go back and do it again. If you are going to Lindos, make sure to leave yourself enough time to wander around the old town as well.

just returned we took a taxi to falikari beach and the bus back to town. we feel we did not have time to do Lindos as it is farther away. A rental car is another alternative--see how much it would be. do leave time to see the castle-its the best. we enjoyed rhodes and if we return we would like to see lindos next time.

Jane... I am really laughing quite hard at your remarks about beaches....but my laugh is not meant to be mean. You mention beaches in the UK! Well, for many of us who have been to your wonderful country (we love England) the water off your beaches is a bit chilly. I just returned from a South Carolina Beach (USA) where the ocean water was about 31C (I am serious) and the sandy beach was over 10 miles long of pure sand (no rocks). Funny thing about the beaches on Rhodes and other Greek Islands,,, they always seem to be full of Brits looking for the warm water and sun. And we are not even talking about Majorca, Minorca or those other places full of Brits seeking warm water. :) Now I will let you slap me for my "clean" remark...guess I should have said "clean and warm." By the way Jane,,, we love you Brits over here.

Hank

Well, there is 8 hours at the port and the ship tour to Lindos is 4.5h. It leaves around a half hour after we get there, and returns about 3h before the ship leaves port (I've heard it's actually a pretty good tour that doesn't waste much time). So that leaves about 2 hours to wander through old town before we have to start making our way back to the ship.

Hi Hank,

Yes, I'll let you have that point. In Northern Europe the beaches are for walking on, sitting on, finding shells etc. You will see (mad) people swimming but then we British can take foolhardiness to extremes. I must argue, however, that the beaches of Northern Europe can be very beautiful. So many of our American friends tend to stick to the tourist route and do miss many gems (my own home county being a case in point - even if it is right in the centre of England and as far from a beach as it is possible to get). So to finish - COME TO NORTHAMPTONSHIRE!!!

Jane

x

Archived