Experiences with Mare Australis - patagonia?

johnbosphl

This 4-night trip on the via Australis was definitely one of the highlights of our OAT trip to South America. Our total trip was about 17 days and included Buenos Aires, El Calafate (for Perito Moreno Glacier), Torres de Paine park in Chile, a sheep ranch inn Patagonia, Ushuaia, and Iguazu Falls. We chose a package tour with OAT for the entire trip, as we thought making our own arrangements would be complicated. We had a very compatible group of 23 which made it alot of fun, and our tour guide and area guides were fantastic!

This 4-night trip on the via Australis was definitely one of the highlights of our OAT trip to South America. Our total trip was about 17 days and included Buenos Aires, El Calafate (for Perito Moreno Glacier), Torres de Paine park in Chile, a sheep ranch inn Patagonia, Ushuaia, and Iguazu Falls. We chose a package tour with OAT for the entire trip, as we thought making our own arrangements would be complicated. We had a very compatible group of 23 which made it alot of fun, and our tour guide and area guides were fantastic!

Thanks for your comments. Your cruise and land tour sounds wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at the same OAT trip. Can you give some feedback on the land-tour portion as well? What were the overall ages of your group? Were there any solo travelers?

Thanks!

Sorry it took me so long to check this thread again.

We had three singles in our group. It was never a problem for them because everyone always included them in our plans during free time. There was also the 25 year old son of one couple. Since our (terrific!) tour guide was only 26 or 27, they enjoyed each other's company. I'd say the average age was mid-60's. All were well-traveled, very flexible, non-complaining, fun people. There was one man with walking difficulties who probably never should have booked this tour, so he usually stayed with the bus rather than take the hike.

The accommodations were excellent for the most part. The sheep ranch was very rustic, but the experience of staying there was worth it.

Book the post-trip extension to Iguazu Falls if you possibly can. It was an amazing experience and the newest, nicest, hotel.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will be happy to try to answer them.

Sorry it took me so long to check this thread again.

We had three singles in our group. It was never a problem for them because everyone always included them in our plans during free time. There was also the 25 year old son of one couple. Since our (terrific!) tour guide was only 26 or 27, they enjoyed each other's company. I'd say the average age was mid-60's. All were well-traveled, very flexible, non-complaining, fun people. There was one man with walking difficulties who probably never should have booked this tour, so he usually stayed with the bus rather than take the hike.

The accommodations were excellent for the most part. The sheep ranch was very rustic, but the experience of staying there was worth it.

Book the post-trip extension to Iguazu Falls if you possibly can. It was an amazing experience and the newest, nicest, hotel.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will be happy to try to answer them.

I don't want to hijack this thread just for OAT questions. Would you mind e-mailing me at:

yoDOTphillyATcomcastDOTnet

I have a few more questions about this itinerary. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I enjoyed the 4 night Punta Arenas to Ushuaia cruise on the Via Australis last month. It was excellent. The ship is in excellent condition, the service is great, the expedition staff who guide ashore and lecture on board were very good and the scenery is spectacular. The zodiac excursions are very good. I think the quality of the food should be a bit higher for the price charged but it was good food. I would recommend this expedition cruise and this part of the world.

• 1 month later...
We got off the Va Australis this morning, and we are now in Ushuaia. It was the most luxurious and exciting cruise we have ever taken. There were only about 96 passengers on board including our group of 23. The cabins were very spacious with large picture windows. Dining was excellent, and the open bar was a favorite of everyone. But the best were the expedition leaders who took us on the zodiacs to glaciers and other picturesque islands, where we saw no other people, just wildlife in its natural environment. We strongly recommend this cruise line. You will not be disappointed. If you have any specific questions, please ask, and I will answer them when I next have computer access.

Could you please tell me what kind of accomodations did you book? Did anybody in your group stay in a class B Cabin? We will be taking the cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas and we are debating if we should take a B or an A cabin?

Thank you for your help.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to repeat Nala_toronto's question about Level B cabins. Does their location near the kitchen or any other issue make them undesirable despite the reduced price on the Mare Aurstralis? Help me out, please. I have to book tomorrow!

Archived