Bringing Alcohol

Has anyone heard of Block Wine? It's 1.5 liters of wine (2 bottles) packaged in a bladder in a cardboard cube. It's a cube about 5' x 5" x 5", and it's actually very good! Comes in Chardonnay, Cabernet and Merlot. One previous poster said he "drinks the wine" then washes the "bladder" and fills it with Scotch (or whatever alcohol) and packs it in his checked luggage. I find this a GREAT tip!!! I found this "Block Wine" for $1.99 at Grocery Outlet (popular in Southern CA and the West Coast) ---it's regularly priced for about $8.95 at most supermarkets. I plan on brining the wine as well as "scotch" on my next cruise! I love these boards! I learn a new tip every day!!!

When DW and I took our first cruise in 1983, a martini made with premium-grade gin cost about $ 2.50. The no-tax advantage the cruise line had for alcohol served on the high-seas was passed on to the guest. Today, that same cocktail will typically cost $ 10+ (including service charges). As a financial professional who has spent his career observing our nation's economic history, I can assure every reader of this posting that this 400% increase is NOT, in any significant degree, a result of inflation.

Wow. You would think a "financial professional" would know that an increase from 2.50 to 10.00 is a 300% increase, not 400%. Remind me not to hire you to cook my books.

While you try to figure that out, maybe you should read this article, on this very site, where you will see the REAL reason you're paying so much for that drink:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/consumer/NickelDime.cfm

Maybe they should go back to 1983 prices and charge $3000 a person for a seven day cruise, I'll bet that would cut down on the smuggling, eh?

haha... Coors light has plastic beer bottles. Not sure if they sell in 6 packs, but they do sell in 12 packs, and they are plastic tops too so you can keep the lids screwed on after you opened it and it will stay fizzie! I am not a fan of Coors light but sometimes drink it because of this feature...

for us it will be saving money, NOT getting away with it. I got quite a few good tips on this thread thank you all:D ;) My husband is taking me on a cruise for my birthday on the Monarch of the Seas, has anyone taken alcohol on this cruise? Its only a 3 nighter to ensenada.

Thanks!

Ronney

You can find the block wine at any Target. Their cube shape allow for every efficient packing I have found :)

Where do you get the plastic coors light? I cant find them anywhere? Can you please give me the name of the store you have found them at?

Thanks much for these great tips and ideas!!!

I hope more people will post their experiences with bringing booze on board after the recent British terrorist problems.

As for tips on smuggling, HAL has/had a policy of allowing wine on board, but not liquor. Since we make and bottle our own wine through a micro-winery, we had no difficulty bottling Canadian Club whiskey in a green bottle with a lovely "Chardonnay" label. Since "make your own" wine kits are increasing exponentially in popularity, ask your friends to see if any have home corking machines.

BTW, since we drive to the cruise docks, then carry on, we never endangered anyone else's luggage.

And at the risk of being labelled a nitpicker: ParrotRob, CruzLuvers is actually right. $2.50 x 4 = $10. This is called a 400% increase. And I, like Cruzluvers fondly remember buying wines on board for prices lower than I would pay ashore at a wine store. *sigh*

And at the risk of being labelled a nitpicker: ParrotRob, CruzLuvers is actually right. $2.50 x 4 = $10. This is called a 400% increase.

You must work for the same financial company as CruzLuvers :-) While it's true the price is four times as much, the INCREASE is 7.50, which is a 300% increase. A 400% increase would be an increase of 10.00 for a total cost of 12.50.

Funny, though, how the fact that the cost of a cruise itself has literally been slashed by as much as 75% from 13 years ago, yet everyone still wants to complain about drink prices. I still think they should drop back drink prices to $1.50 or so to make the complainers happy, and then charge $3k for the cruise itself like they used to do to keep them off the ship in the first place. :cool:

Has anyone heard of Block Wine? It's 1.5 liters of wine (2 bottles) packaged in a bladder in a cardboard cube. It's a cube about 5' x 5" x 5", and it's actually very good! Comes in Chardonnay, Cabernet and Merlot. One previous poster said he "drinks the wine" then washes the "bladder" and fills it with Scotch (or whatever alcohol) and packs it in his checked luggage. I find this a GREAT tip!!! I found this "Block Wine" for $1.99 at Grocery Outlet (popular in Southern CA and the West Coast) ---it's regularly priced for about $8.95 at most supermarkets. I plan on brining the wine as well as "scotch" on my next cruise! I love these boards! I learn a new tip every day!!!

Triciaa - It's so funny that you wrote that, I was thinking of doing exactly that, and here I thought I was a genius! Here on Long Island, NY they're $11.99 and still, they're worth it, it equals to 2 bottles of wine and they're actually very good.

Seabrite,

I'm so glad you like this idea! To be honest, I "borrowed" this idea from another poster, but I thought it would work so easily!

And it's not a typo, I really found these block wines for $1.99....I only bought 2, but now that I tasted the cabernet, I think I will buy a case!

(I did not try the chardonnay or merlot yet, are they good too?)

My next cruise is Nov 10...just a short 3 nighter with all the family (5 cabins...fun, fun, fun!!), but I'll let you know how it works out.

Happy cruising and wine drinking to you!

triciaa - The chardonnay is on the dry side, my husband loved it. I like mine a bit on the sweet side. The merlot I haven't tried yet. I can't get over the price you got yours for! WOW! Hope you have a great cruise! We're going on a 10 day Nov 15th, spending Thanksgiving on the ship, first time I spend a holiday on a ship. No who's-family-are-we-spending-Thanksiving-with arguement this year!

Here is a thought....why not save yourself the effort and NOT bring liquor on board!

Aside from the ethical/moral debate about the cruise lines rules, ALL major cruise lines are cracking down on this issue. They are beginning to realize thiis is costing them money to not enforce. You may get away with it and get on board...but will be pretty embarassing to your family if your put off the ship at the first stop, and have to make your own way home!

No matter my feelings or anyone elses here...your going to do what you want, that is obvious. Just let everyone here know what room your in, and ship...so if we staying close by, we can have a life preserver ready to toss you when you fall over the balcony railing.

Here is a thought....why not save yourself the effort and NOT bring liquor on board!

Aside from the ethical/moral debate about the cruise lines rules, ALL major cruise lines are cracking down on this issue. They are beginning to realize thiis is costing them money to not enforce. You may get away with it and get on board...but will be pretty embarassing to your family if your put off the ship at the first stop, and have to make your own way home!

No matter my feelings or anyone elses here...your going to do what you want, that is obvious. Just let everyone here know what room your in, and ship...so if we staying close by, we can have a life preserver ready to toss you when you fall over the balcony railing.

BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Holland America which is the cruise line I'm going on - ALLOWS you to bring wine so I guess I won't be buring in hell... for my wine. As for my liquor, I bring a very small quantity just to mix a drink before dinner. We spend plenty of money during our cruises so I don't feel the least bit guilty about it so thump your rightousness fists elsewhere.

BLAH BLAH BLAH....

As for my liquor, I bring a very small quantity just to mix a drink before dinner. We spend plenty of money during our cruises so I don't feel the least bit guilty about it so thump your rightousness fists elsewhere.

No need to explain yourself to the morality police LOL!

They think they know everything:rolleyes:

jeanna - a fellow new yorker! 'Yo! LOL We're from Long Island, originally from Brooklyn.

rvrgirl - you're absolutely right. It makes you wonder what the anti-alchohol smugglers are doing reading this "bringing alcohol" post to begin with? Is there nothing else they could be doing w/their time?

We went on the Glory last Feb. and they were cinfiscating booze from the carry on luggage. They had me open my bag and checked a bottle of sun tan lotion that I had. They had quite a few bottles sitting by the scanning area. I always take soda and some booze. I collect hard sided luggage from thrift shops and use them. than I tell the room steward I know longer want the luggage. Oh and I always use plastic bottles not cans and not glass.

Why do you tell the steward that you don't want the luggage, I'm confused. :(

We have friends who recently went on Carnival to Bermuda. Most of the suitcases made it to the room quickly. They later received a letter, stating that they had to go to XXX to collect the missing luggage. The missing luggage was the bags they had checked with all the liquor they were hoping to enjoy. The liquor was taken, tagged and they were given a receipt to be able to collect it on departure from the ship. They said there were probably 70 people down there with the same "letter" waiting to get the impounded bags.

Doesn't sound good for smuggling......

Does anyone have a link or copy to Princess for the Full Alcohol Menu that they will bring to the room. All I can find on their site is the limited menu. On Grand in 2005 it was only a dollar or two higher than buying off ship. I will bring wine it was a lot higher than the rum, scotch, volka, etc... P.S. Tape the top, bag it in a ziplock, all of these help...I never packed liquids in glass even in the old hardside suitcases. You can buy plastic flasks everywhere.

Archived