Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka what are the best shops?

flagger

IMHO, Ketchikan. Juneau has a Kmart or Walmart that is good for souvenirs, and I also hear good things about Skagway shopping. Don't forget that regular dome stores, grocery stores, and drugstores like Carrs are excellent sources of souvenirs and musch, much cheaper than the tourist shops.

If you want t-shirts, key chains and other Made In China junk the previous posters are correct. If you are looking for quality items that will last and keep your memories alive I suggest the following places.

SKAGWAY

Skagway Art - Beautiful original artwork. Look at the Transformer (eagle/woman) and Whales Tail pendants.

North To Alaska - Purchased our Ulu Knives here. Made in Alaska with matching cutting board for $31.95. They also have the quality Grizzly Paws for salad serving. They ship for whatever it cost and do not charge any handling fees. The nice lady from OK will be glad to help you. The items we purchased on Tuesday afternoon were at our home when we arrived on Sat.

JUNEAU

Galligaskins - 219 S. Franklin St. Real up town type store. Say hello to the lady from Charleston SC for us.

The Fireweed Shop - 469 S. Franklin St. Look at their leather pocket books. Bet you will want one.

Caribou Crossings - Driftwood Santa

Alaska Shirt Co. Alaska Hand Puppet with 5 Alaskan animals.

KETCHIKAN

Perfect Partners - 22 Creek St. Alaskan made dolls. Beautiful.

Barnaby's Old Town - 422 Mission St. Great selection of a lot of items and you can have your photo made with a big ole Polar Bear. Be sure and pet the dog at the door.

Blue Heron - Alaskan & Native art. Check out the handmade Ulus and other knives. I got one here with a 6" antler across the top.

Poker Creek Gold - $39 Gold whales tail.

Dockside Trading Co. Children's Fleece

Tom's Treasures - Silver whales tails with mother of pearl, onyx, turquoise or other insets.

We had all of our items shipped home and think it was well worth the extra cost.

Russ

When you get off the boat in Juneau you'll be right downtown, the shops on the main street are all really fun to look into, take your time and really look before you purchase is my suggestion you'll pass the same shops on the way back down the hill. ;)

Flagger,

We only shopped in Sitka and Skaway. In Sitka, the only shop we had much time for the a Christmas shop run by the Russian-American company. It was just across the street to the left of St. Michael's Orthodox church in downtown.

We purchased a hand carved and painted Santa Claus by a Russian artist named Elena Shiryaeva. This store had many Russian dolls that fit into each other (can't think of what that is called) and many hand painted Santa Clauses by different Russian artists.

We noticed many nice shops in Sitka but we basically ran out of time. I checked on the internet for this artist when we got home. Her work was available only from 2 or 3 sites and the prices were all similar. Her biography and picture was on the internet.

In Skagway, there are several shops. Many jewelry stores that could be anywhere - not unique. It was my birthday and I really wanted to buy jewelry that was made in Alaska. We finally found a nice store on a corner. Can't think of the name right now. (When Jim gets home, he will remember.) This store had everything from jewelry to artwork to soapstone statues, all from Alaskans. Really nice things. The jewelry I liked was gold nugget but instead of chunks, the nuggets were flattened into the jewelry shape surrounded by 14 ct. gold edging. Some of the pieces had small diamonds with them. Very nice selection of things for men and women. Jim got a nice man's ring with a quartz stone with marbelized gold running through it and gold nuggets on the sides. Very handsome ring. I found a lovely heart-shaped necklace, some earrings, and a ring also. The person who waited on us was Violet or Viola. Ask for her if you go there. She is knowledgable and a great person to work with. They also sized our rings right away.

I Know this is getting long, but maybe it will help some other people who like to shop as well.

Have a great cruise.

Ginny

When I find the name of the store, I will post it.

Juneau has NEITHER a KMart or Walmart. It has Fred Meyer. Ketchikan has a Walmart which you need the shuttle bus to get to. But all ports have a big assortment of small downtown shops. Each visitor guide of the individual city's offer shopping listings of venders.

The little Russian dolls that stack inside of each other are called nesting dolls. They had a really lovely shop in Sitka across the street from St. Michaels that had them from $5.00 on up.

:)

Sitka - agree about getting the nesting dolls there. We originally got ours in Russia - these are just the same.

Ketchikan - definitely a lot of shops here - love walking and shopping on Creek Street. They have a large selection of totem poles in this port.

:)

Ms. Flagger asked me to ask if they might have sets of Nesting Santa Clauses in Sitka by the same or different artists.

Try the Russian American Company .. I know there are Santa nesting dolls in Sitka but I can't remember where.. They have a shop in Juneau also. You can probably email them before you leave http://www.russianamericancompany.com.. they are very accommodating and if they don't have the santas should be able to suggest a place.

Archived