Nursing and Cruise question

Glittercat

Are there many benches or chairs around ships where one could just sit and let baby nurse? We live in a city, so we nurse discreetly, but I'm just wondering about the logistics of being onboard. Should we pack the breastpump, and cups or bottles for our up-coming cruise? Thanks in advance! :)

~Rebecca

I've been on 2 different NCL cruise ships, and they both had benches on the promenade deck which would have worked wonderfully, as long as you are discreet. There were also several chairs placed in front of windows on various decks which would have worked well.

I haven't ever been on the POA though, and many the NCL ships are quite different. If you inquire over on the NCL board, hopefully a prior POA cruiser can help you out.

I can imagine that on any cruise ship, there are many places to sit and nurse a child. But quiet places, not many. The upper outside decks are pretty windy. Inside places might be too loud. I always just went back to my room and nursed on the balcony. Those balconies are like heaven to me.

Maybe a bf mom who's been on that ship can recomend a place.

Are there many benches or chairs around ships where one could just sit and let baby nurse? We live in a city, so we nurse discreetly, but I'm just wondering about the logistics of being onboard. Should we pack the breastpump, and cups or bottles for our up-coming cruise? Thanks in advance! :)

~Rebecca

There is a recent thread on nursing/cruising...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=254576&highlight=nursing+mom

My opinion is that cruising and nursing are a perfect match. I wouldn't even bother with a pump & bottles. What a pain! There are many places to sit and nurse, even besides the pool deck. There are lounges everywhere on ships - they provide a quiet place almost any time of the day. The one piece of advice is don't pack any one-piece evening dresses. I ended up with a fussy baby one night at dinner and couldn't nurse. Urgh! I had to go back to the room.

Anyway, I never had so much as a negative look while nursing on a cruise, so go and relax!!!

Shellie

DH and I cruise two years ago on the Carnivall Imagination with a then 7 month old. I was still nursing and found it very convenient to nurse around the ship. I carried a blanket or towel to cover up with and no one ever noticed.

I did bring my manual pump so that I could have a bottle at dinner time (so DH could feed the baby while I ate) and just in case we decided to leave the baby with the Carnival sitters at night. I left the electric at home for fear of it getting broken or misplaced during our flight to Miami.

Happy cruising

Archived