Venice disembarkation

Esprit

We board Grand Princess this Saturday and end up in Venice.

According to the itinerary we arrive in Venice 10 pm and appear to disembark the following morning for the flight home. Is that the norm?

I thought we got a whole day in Venice then left for home the following morning. can any recent cruisers clarify please?

Thanks
Peter

We were on a similar itinerary in 2005. We actually arrived in Venice earlier than the scheduled time and were able to disembark about 9.30ish. I recall that a shuttle to St Marks square was set up at a cost of about $10 per person return.

The ship is berthed overnight and disembarkation starts the following morning.

One tip...do ensure you are on the starboard side of the ship as you sail into Venice...best if a glass of bubbly is also to hand. A fantastic welcome to a wonderful city is assured.

Guess what?

I've booked a port side cabin! I must had a bad hair day when I booked this cruise.

I missed the fact that there is effectively a sea day from Corfu up to Venice. It doesn't say that in the intinerary schedule.

You'd think Princess could pinch an hour here and there to make up the time to get into Venice earlier. I guess though the Venice port authorities will charge "double bubble" though?

Cheers
Peter

We sailed on the 6/3 Golden that arrived in Venice at 10pm (6/14) and disembarked the next morning. Although the captain was able to arrive earlier the pilot wouldn't take us in any earlier. We did actually start the sailing into the harbor about 8pm (spectacular) and docked about 9:30pm. We were off the ship about 10pm, in-line for the motorlaunch to St. Marks and in St Marks about 10:30pm. We stayed for about 2 hours (taking a gondola ride) and walking around St Marks Square.

The next morning was one of the more hectic and crazed disembarkations we've experienced in more than 20 cruises. We were off the ship but then had to wait (in the heat) for the ship's buses to take us to the terminal to claim our luggage which they put in different areas than they were tagged so it took us time to find the missing two bags that were in the wrong staged area (although they were clearly marked - hey, it happens, no big deal). But then there was a scramble for a water taxi which we had had prebooked/prepaid for an airport transfer. It took us close to 3 hours from the time we exited the ship gangway until we actually were at the airline check-in desk. Luckily we had a comfortable flight departure.

This being said it was just thrilling to be on the water taxi up the Grand Canal on the way to the airport (fyi - we paid an extra 30 Euro for this route which added about 15 more minutes). Venice gave me goosebumps!!

Enjoy your cruise.

tuckercmp-
We will be disembarking the Golden in Venice in October and want to do the Doges Secret Tour the day we disembark, which may be tight. What time did you actually get off the ship and were you early, middle or late in getting off? I really appreciate your sharing your experience as it helps in planning.

That was encouraging to read.

I'll make sure we've had dinner before we sail up the Grand canal. Really pleased I've chosen personal choice dining now.

Cheers
Peter

PS all being well we should be half way to Rome this time tomorrow!

TigerladyK

We disembarked really early, about 7.30am. We are quite intrepid travellers and also like to save on some extras, so that we can ''stretch'' our budget. Well, we got off with our luggage (OKd with purser's desk) and then walked to Piazzole Roma ( 10-15 minutes) and got a bus to Marco Polo airport. Cost 2 euross each!! So, if you want to get off sharp, I suggest you sort out an early disembarkation time at the purser's desk early in the cruise.

Espritt

One further tip...make friends with somebody with a starboard balcony:D

[quote name='Esprit']We board Grand Princess this Saturday and end up in Venice. According to the itinerary we arrive in Venice 10 pm and appear to disembark the following morning for the flight home. Is that the norm?

I thought we got a whole day in Venice then left for home the following morning. can any recent cruisers clarify please? Thanks Peter[/quote]
How do you get the whole day ? We did the same trip on the Grand this past summer, arrived late evening, spent overnight, departed the ship next morning. The ship turns around (you arrive the 26th, 27th is turnaround disembark / embark, then it leaves the 28th at 1 pm.) The folks getting on as you get off will have a very limited time too. :( Given it will take most of their first day (27th) to get settled, they will have basically the morning of the 28th to see Venice if they did not arrange a pre-cruise stay.

In our case we arranged a post cruise 3 day stay in Venice. I would highly recommend it, but leaving so soon your flights are already set.

Have a great trip. We really enjoyed ours. Recommend you ride the doneys in Santorini ;)

[quote name='Esprit']Guess what? I've booked a port side cabin! I must had a bad hair day when I booked this cruise.

I missed the fact that there is effectively a sea day from Corfu up to Venice. It doesn't say that in the intinerary schedule.

You'd think Princess could pinch an hour here and there to make up the time to get into Venice earlier. I guess though the Venice port authorities will charge "double bubble" though? Cheers Peter[/quote]
It does say in the schedule, just is not expressly evident. You leave Corfu at 5pm on the 25th and arrive 10 pm on the 26th. So the day of the 26th is at sea (but shows as a Venice day) It is a far distance to go to get from Corfu to Venice, so they will not be lolly gagging it up there.

We wished we would have arrived earlier too (before sunset). It was cold and overcast the night we arrived, plus at night the city is not that lit up. The 1pm departing passengers have a better view as they are leaving.

The first thing I will ask at the CC get together tomorrow is..."who has a starboard balcony cabin then". They willl become my bosom buddies!!!

I've noticed on next year's itinerary for Emerald Princess it is arriving at Venice 1 pm the day before disembarkation. Perhap Princess have had a number of complaints by people confused like me?

Cheers
Peter

We had 4 people and 7 suitcases (plus a couple of carryons) so we knew that walking to the plaza and taking the bus would be a problem. We decided to bite the bullet and pre-book a water taxi with the additional tour up the Grand Canal since our time would be limited in Venice and I wanted to see as much of the Canal as I could. Last summer we disembarked in Copenhagen and taxis were very scarce. We didn't want to run into that problem again.

To answer your question, we had an 8:30am disembarkation time (about 1/3 into disembark times) and they called our group about 8:45am. Once we got off there were mobs of people being shepherded on to buses to go to the terminal. This was what took so long because they were not very organized. We were in our pre-arranged water taxi about 10:45am and walking into the airport terminal about 11:30am. Our flight wasn't until 2:30pm so we had ample time. We wanted to go into Venice before the flight but didn't know what we could do with our luggage since the airline won't let you check in too early.

On the last evening we ate dinner at 6pm (thanks again to anytime dining since we normally eat about 8pm on Europe cruises). With the day at sea we leisurely packed and dressed for dinner casually. We put our suitcases out before dinner and then at 8pm went up to the top deck to watch the magnificent sailing. It was still daylight but by the time we passed the Grand Canal entrance the sun was setting. Ship docked about 9:30pm and we were off the ship about 10:15pm, walked about 100 feet to the Princess water taxi to San Marco. We had picked up the passes the day before so we had them in hand.

FYI - we travel on a European cruise every summer with our two kids (now 19 and 21) and almost always go on our own for excursions, transfers, etc. because it's (1) less expensive and (2) on our schedule. On this trip we prebooked some drivers/guides (Athens, Kusadasi) but mostly have found taxis and/or drivers/guides at the port. 90% of the time we've been thrilled. We see more in less time since we're not waiting for 40 other people to get on and off buses and enjoy speaking with the local driver. One of the highlights this trip was when we mentioned to our driver from Livorno that we enjoy Italian wine he took us to his friend's organic vineyard on the way into Florence. They welcomed us into their cellars, opened wines, cheeses, olive oil and bread. We left after this short 30 minute side trip with the most delicious wines (award-winner in NYC last year) with the most expensive bottle only 17 Euros but more important a great personal start to a wonderful day in Florence. Wish we had bought more. We enjoyed them on the rest of the sailing.

Have a great trip. It was an amazing itinerary.

[quote name='Esprit']The first thing I will ask at the CC get together tomorrow is..."who has a starboard balcony cabin then". They willl become my bosom buddies!!! I've noticed on next year's itinerary for Emerald Princess it is arriving at Venice 1 pm the day before disembarkation. Perhap Princess have had a number of complaints by people confused like me? Cheers Peter[/quote]
Apr 23 it does arrive in Venice at 1 pm. because it is coming from Dubrovnik.

The other times (May 16, Jul 27, Sep 13) she is arriving at 10 pm just like her sisters.

Archived